The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New sony Cams (SLT A55/A33)... Interesting stuff

Jim DE

Well I weighed "needs and wants" and went out and got a a33 body today. For how I shoot and what I need the a33 will do me just fine IMO. I know this sensor and am pleased with its results on my NEX5 so I decided to stick with it.

I don't burst shoot, need or want GPS, and 2mp is barely recognizable in 8x10 prints and under or web usage.

Now I just have to wait once again for RAW support on aperture or CS5 :(

Did I say I was happy with my selection? I'm happy!!!!! And it is just a "3" designation camera ;)

barjohn

I went and play with the A33 at the SonyStyle store and it seems nice but a little larger still than I would like. For and SLR/T it is relatively small but the thickness overall is just a bit too much to carry conveniently. I will wait for the Fuji X100 or what ever may come down the road in the near future and keep using the NEX 5 in the meantime. I will probably keep it as my interchangeable lens camera as I really like the way the 40/2 paints images with it.

jonoslack

I went and play with the A33 at the SonyStyle store and it seems nice but a little larger still than I would like. For and SLR/T it is relatively small but the thickness overall is just a bit too much to carry conveniently. I will wait for the Fuji X100 or what ever may come down the road in the near future and keep using the NEX 5 in the meantime. I will probably keep it as my interchangeable lens camera as I really like the way the 40/2 paints images with it.
Hi John
Having spent a few hours with the A33, it seems like a real athlete in comparison with the NEX - really fast and accurate autofocus. Of course, it's no good as an interchangeable lens camera, and it is bigger, but from my point of view if it don't go in my pocket it's not all that relevant.

But my needs aren't the same - if I'm going to use fixed focal length glass with manual focus it goes on the M9. I want a decent zoom, and the Sony / zeiss 16-80 seems to fit the bill.

jonoslack

Hi Jono, can you clarify what you mean by "it's no good as an interchangeable lens camera"?
Sorry chaps - someone asked me a question at the wrong moment:

It's no good as an interchangeable lens camera FOR M mount or other old mount manual focus lenses . . .

It makes a splendid interchangeable mount lens camera for A mount lenses!

Terry

You are making my life more complicated.....need to sell stuff. Just need to figure out what to sell and what will be my small kit.

jonoslack

You are making my life more complicated.....need to sell stuff. Just need to figure out what to sell and what will be my small kit.
Good - nobody needs a simple life :)

I tell you what I think:
If you want to use legacy lenses with manual focus, then either the NEX or m/43 is a no brainer.

If you want a small, quality, flexible system with a zoom . . . then the A33/55 is a no-brainer - especially if you already have Sony lenses (the little 24-105 works well if 35mm is as wide as you want).

roweraay

As mentioned in the other thread, pairing the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which is smaller than even the 16-80, with the A33/55, is another option for a fairly compact combo.

Jim DE

Whew my head is spinning with all the this is better or worse post on the other forums on the a33/a55. They are pulling out calculators and formulas for this or that and the art of picture taking is lost ;)

Jono, are you shooting your a33 in raw or jpg? I really hate the Sony Raw processing program and find it to be under powered and awkward to use but as of right now unless someone knows something I don't Aperture nor CS5 support the a33 format on my computer.

Been mostly pouring down rain here since I brought the a33 home so have not really gotten to see how it does outside much as yet. Thinking about a run down to the beach in the morning being as there is only a 10% chance of rain at sunrise.

barjohn

What are the raw files on the A33 called? Aren't they the same as the NEX 5? Maybe a little tweaking in the data can fool the software into thinking it is a NEX 5 raw file. Why oh why does a vendor do this on their own cameras (change RAW format)?

Jim DE

Barjohn, its .ARW like the NEX5 but every camera has its own specific logic. Neither Aperture nor CS5 recognizes the a33 raw files.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Your 4/3s lenses are built around a sensor that is 60% smaller than the 1.5x APS-C sensor that comes on the A55. So even if they built an adapter (highly unlikely), it simply will not be terribly useful.
Allow me a small correction: The size of the 4/3s sensor is 60% of the APS-C sensor (not 60% smaller).

The ratio of the pure size differense is 3:5 (like in one field of 3 acres and another field of 5 acres).

Some think this size difference is big enough to be significant (provided ~ similar sensor quality).

Others think this size difference is so small that it's irrelevant (provided ~ similar sensor quality).

Luckily we all have a free choise between the two different sensor formats with their completely different aspect ratios :)

V

Vivek

Comparing sensor sizes is one thing but the question of coverage of lenses from 4/3rds to APS-C is entirely another.

None of the m4/3rds (OEM) lenses I have cover sufficient ground on the APS-C NEX sensor.

roweraay

Allow me a small correction: The size of the 4/3s sensor is 60% of the APS-C sensor (not 60% smaller).
You are right. I should have modified my statement to say that the 1.5x APS-C sensor, is over 60% larger than the 4/3 sensor. :)

4/3 sensor area: 17.3x13 = 224.9 sq.mm

1.5x APS-C sensor area: 23.5x15.6 = 366.6 sq.mm

Difference: 141.7 sq.mm

141.7 is 63% of 224.9.

Thus the APS-C sensor is 63% larger than the 4/3 sensor, which, IMHO, is a significant enough size difference.