The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My NEX 5 has been gone for 8 days ....

Jim DE

To the Larado, TX Service Center .... I am going through withdrawal syndromes! Man, I miss that lil critter it brought a lot of fun back into my photography using all the varied lenses on one digital body.

Anybody have any experiences with Larado, TX Service Center good, bad, or otherwise they want to comment on? So far it appears to be good as they did inform me that it arrived last Tuesday ( I knew that already because I used delivery conformation for my baby ;) ). I tried tracking it on their site and they state on there that it is with a service
technician and it takes 10 days for repairs. Has that been your experience on the time for turn around? I am fairly sure it is just a sensor cleaning but our local independent service that clean sensors wanted 8-10 weeks for turn around so I didn't use them.

Withdraw is a terrible thing ..... ;)

simonclivehughes

Wow, 8-10 weeks for sensor cleaning??? Guy's we're in the wrong business! Who knew there would be that many people looking for 3rd party service for this?

Sorry to hear about your NEX, Jim, hopefully you'll get her back soon enough!

Cheers,

Jim DE

Too old, with too bad of eyes, and too shakey of hand for that job. If a brushless pufferball doesn't do it she goes to someone who can handle the job far better than I. :)

Jim DE

Well to follow-up on my NEX 5's trip to Laredo, TX Service Center. I was contacted that it is on it's way back. They found contaminants so they cleaned and adjusted the camera. Also noted they installed a "protective cover" ..... I asked the rep if that was a body cap and he replied, yes. Hard to really know till it gets here because I did have difficulty understanding the customers reps english. When it arrives I will follow-up on this ..... but the best thing is it appears to be a "no charge" service and it is on it's way back home ;)

It was there for only a week total in the facility not counting shipping time ..... I think this is excellent turnaround service time!

Terry

I have one sitting in Laredo right now as well. They thought all was working fine so they called me on Friday to discuss. After walking through my description on of the issue they were going to go back and do some additional testing. I haven't heard back yet today.

Terry

Your NEX5 Terry??? Or another Sony?
I actually have two NEX 5's. In Ireland I noticed that one of them was not giving the proper highlight blinking warnings even if side by side I took the same shot with the other NEX one would show it fine and the other wouldn't. I then tried to massively over expose in manual mode still nothing. Tried doing a reset a couple of times but nothing changed. So, when I got back I sent it in for Sony to have a look at.

Jim DE

Hope it comes back all well and soon to you Terry!

I guess mine was so SOP that they never did actually call me or e-Mail me during the repair. I checked its status and saw it was shipped so I called to see what they fixed on the camera.

Terry

I got a tracking update that mine is on the way back today. I called Sony and they said even with their additional testing the camera is working to specifications. When it gets back I will test it side by side with the other body and if it not working properly it will go back one more time.

Jim DE

Hey Terry, were they both using the same lens (like both legacy lenses or both factory lenses)??? Just curious......

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

I could put the same lens on either camera and the two cameras would behave differently in looking at the highlights. For example if you take your camera and point it at a bright light source like out the window in daylight and put the camera in manual exposure for 2 or 3 seconds you would expect to be clipping the highlights. When you go to image review one body would be showing flashing highlight clipping warning over the shy and the other camera just looks as though exposure is ok and nothing is flashing but the histogram is pushed out to the right.

It should be back in a couple of days and I will look at again.

aleksanderpolo

Hope that they fix it for you too, Terry. But it sounds like the Tech you spoke to don't know what the problem is.

By the way Terry, do you notice any dust problem on the sensor? How does it compare to m43's dust removal?

Jim DE

Ken... they are a fun little camera to use with excellent IQ .... I especially like that I can use most of my Contax G lenses on it which up till now for me have been only used in a film media.

Ken... they are a fun little camera to use with excellent IQ .... I especially like that I can use most of my Contax G lenses on it which up till now for me have been only used in a film media.
I've been thinking about the 28 G but I'm hoping for a Photokina surprise for the NEX.

At least you get the rare NEX body cap for your troubles. :D

Jim DE

;)

Beware of the 28mm Contax G.... it will show outside edge smearing up to around f5.6 at infinity focus. Just a FYI from personal experience. I still use it but work around this issue.

Jim DE

Protective cover = a thin piece of flat plastic like a book report cover with some adhesive around the edge. Stated for shipping usage only. ;) ;) ;)

Terry

When I returned home on Monday night my camera was waiting for me. Unfortunately, yesterday when it was still light out I tested it and the problem is not resolved. I sent the Sony tech who worked on it the first time an email with pictures and a video of the issue. To Sony's credit, I heard back first thing this AM requesting the actual image files.

I've now followed up by sending them sample RAW files from each camera from the same scene take with the same settings at the same time.

Personally, I bummed that the issue wasn't resolved in the first trip to the service center but I am going to withhold final judgement for the moment because they are being very responsive in trying to diagnose the problem. I will keep you updated.