The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 Sensor ,dirty? do I have a problem?

LoSenior

I noticed that I'm getting spots on my pictures and I need to clean the sensor, I have ordered a cleaning kit to clean the sensor. I noticed that I can see some of the spots when I look through the view finder, is that normal? At first I thought that I had a dirty lens,mirror. It turns out that they are the same spots that I see on my pictures.

Thanks, Jerry

Probably just a lot of dust everywhere -- sensor, mirror, screen prism. I seem to spend a lot of time cleaning dust off my sensor with the Sony.

mjm6

Jerry,

If you can see them in the viewfinder (are sharp and look like regular dust), then they are not the same dust that is causing the dust specks in the digital capture.

The reason for this is the mirror redirects the light up to the focus screen, and the only way they are visible through the VF is if they are located on the focus screen at the plane of focus up there, or very close to it.

So, you have dust on the focus screen. Not a big deal because it doesn't impact the image. You can clean this by removing the focus screen and carefully dusting off both sides. Unless the dust is real bad, it may not be worth it, though.

However, it sounds like you also have dust on the sensor, so you will have to get in there with a sensor cleaner and get it taken care of. I strongly recommend not using wet cleaners unless a dry cleaning solution doesn't remove the problems. Sometimes, it can be a real test to get all the liquid streaks off the sensor, so I consider ita last resort measure.

---Michael

LoSenior

Bill and Michael,

Thanks. I looked at the spots on my pictures and the couple that I see in the view finder are in a different locations. My main concern are the dust spots on the sensor, I will try and remove them with the new Rocket air blaster that I have ordered.
Michael, what is the dry cleaning solution that I should try first

Jerry

I would be surprised if the rocket does anything besides rearrange the dust on the sensor. The combination of the visible dust sensor loupe and arctic butterfly 724 is expensive, but probably the best thing available. If you have an old static master slide cleaning brush, that can work well too, but is hard to fit in the Sony mirror box.

mjm6

I use the arctic butterfly for dry cleaning. I don't know if it's any better than any other brush cleaner product, but it works well for me on all my cameras. I don't have the loupe.

I have yet to do a wet cleaning on my a900 or M9. Haven't needed to, as the AB has sufficiently cleaned the sensors.

---Michael

LoSenior

Bill & Michael,

Thanks again. I will be ordering the AB 724 on Monday. I very much appreciate your advice.
I was on the Visible Dust web site and looked at the various options and I do agree with both of you that the Dry method does seem to make the most sense.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

dhsimmonds

I also use the Arctic Butterfly system to clean my sensor on the A900. Make sure that you get the "full frame" brush attachment though!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jerry, I would suggest you simply start with the blower.
Just blow at an angle to the sensor with the mount throat turned downwards.

If that doesn't do the trick you can go on and order some sort of a dry clean kit, e.g. the butterfly.

For six years I have never had to use anything but a blower on my M8 and my Nikon DSLRs.
A blower is all I have, and so far it has worked fine for me.

I would always prefer to avoid touching the sensor with anything but air.

LoSenior

Steen, Thanks. I will slow things down and wait until I try the blower and see if that does the job. The dust has been on the sensor for awhile and I just noticed how bad it was after i took some pictures that had a lot of sky in them.

Dave,Thanks. I just assumed that the AB 724 is for full frame? AB also has a Professional kit that has several brush heads with it, not a big difference in the price between the two.

Thanks, Jerry

barjohn

I never had much luck with the AB on my M8 and had to go to a wet cleaning system. I hope you have better luck with yours.

T

tigertimb

If you're using the Arctic Butterfly, just be very certain that you don't let the bristles extend beyond the sensor or you may pull in grease instead and make it a lot worse.

And yes; I'm the supid one who did that and needed a thorough wet clean afterwards. Everything good in the end though.

Tim

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I use the arctic butterfly for dry cleaning. I don't know if it's any better than any other brush cleaner product, but it works well for me on all my cameras. I don't have the loupe.

I have yet to do a wet cleaning on my a900 or M9. Haven't needed to, as the AB has sufficiently cleaned the sensors.

---Michael
+1!
Bill