The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for a bag for NEX/iPad system

simonclivehughes

Once I had my iPad, I stopped dragging a laptop, or even a netbook around, and now that I have the NEX-5s, I'm looking for a bag for both.

I'd like an all-weather shoulder bag that can take the iPad (so 10" long by 8"high) as well as 2 NEX-5 bodies and up to 5 Voigtländer M lenses. I currently have the ThinkTANK Speed Racer and the iPad will fit into the front of it, but vertically, rather than horizontally. The issue with this is that the bag is much too deep for this compact photo gear, and thus overkill. A laptop-capable bag is likewise too big for what I want, the goal being a bag just big enough.

I'm interested if others may have found a solution for this, or similar set of equipment, or have suggestions?

Cheers,

Terry

How much padding do you want?

In the not much/none category

Bare Bones Bag?
Very small Timbuk2 messenger (no padding use your own inserts) - I believe the express messenger has padded iPad compartment

Jono has posted pics with Fogg bag and iPad.

M

meilicke

Another bare bones suggestion, but pricey and probably a bit heavy:
Medium satchel from Saddleback Leather.
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/138-satchels-category

I have a smaller version of this and love it. The medium will reportedly hold an iPad in the interior pouch, and you would need your own inserts for lenses. The bags are built incredibly well. 100 year warranty.

-Scott

rchisholm

I wanted a bare bones bag to carry my M9 and lenses; I recently purchased an M-Classics bag and love it! Fantastic product. Not much in the way of protection, but light weight, durable, and has a back pocket that is perfect for the ipad.

Terry

I know I looked on the website and can't find it. The Timbuk2 store is in SF and I will stop in and ask this weekend.

Terry

I went to Timbuk2 today. I was surprised at how big both the small and medium photo bags are in person. Much too big and bulky for a NEX system. The insert is not sold separately and according the the salesperson the insert is too deep for their regular messenger bags.

So, back to the drawing board.

simonclivehughes

Thanks for the replies from all of you. Today, I found what I was looking for, the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200 AW.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Stealth-Reporter D200 AW,2045.htm

It allows the iPad to be placed horizontally in the front between the outer shell and the inner liner basket. I can get two NEX 5 bodies, both with lenses (typically the CV12mm and the CV75mm f1.8), as well as 3 other CV lenses (28mm f2, 50mm f1.1, 90mm f3.5) and still have room for a GorillaPod SLR Pro (with Joby ballhead and Kirk QR clamp). The front pockets hold the extra batteries, SDs etc.

The bag has a pull-out waterproof cover and ends up quite a bit smaller than my ThinkTank Speed Racer bag that I have been using. I did , however swap the Speed Racer's strap onto the Stealth. Lowepro, in their wisdom, have small rubber dots on the shoulderpad... that are completely non-grippy! The strap slides off like it is greased. :wtf:

Cheers,

M

meilicke

I went to Timbuk2 today. I was surprised at how big both the small and medium photo bags are in person. Much too big and bulky for a NEX system. The insert is not sold separately and according the the salesperson the insert is too deep for their regular messenger bags.

So, back to the drawing board.
Thanks for checking it out Terry.

-Scott