The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX - AF for Alpha Lenses

tom in mpls

Lots of possibilities! Perhaps the Sigma 30/1.4? I want a fast zoom or prime in the 24-35mm range with autofocus. The Contax G 35 is lovely, but I still hope for autofocus.

roweraay

If this rumor is right, great news.....is just around the corner

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-firmware-upgrade-for-nex-will-deliver-af-for-sam-ssm-lenses/

The lens that becomes most appealing would be the new 85 since MF gets harder (with magnification) as focal length gets longer.
It is a "SR5" rumor, which means they have more than one reliable source who has confirmed it. Great for the NEX shooters, especially folks who have Alpha lenses (like myself !). I just wish I still had my NEX5 around, and had not sold it. :eek:

peterv

Lots of possibilities! Perhaps the Sigma 30/1.4? I want a fast zoom or prime in the 24-35mm range with autofocus. The Contax G 35 is lovely, but I still hope for autofocus.
Tom, I too have been dreaming about using Sigma HSM on the NEX (in my case my lovely copy of the 50mm 1.4) but I think I'll wait and not be the guinea pig this time around. Wouldn't want to fry my NEX and/or lens... My guess is the electronics will work fine and communication between the Sigma and NEX will be there, but I'll let someone over at DPR experiment first :angel:

douglasf13

The annoying thing to me is that using Alpha lenses on NEX always focuses wide open, so you don't get full-time DOF preview like with NEX lenses or other adapted manual lenses.

roweraay

Why did you do that? :bugeyes:
I've been reading your enthusiastic posts here and long before that over at dyxum. Thought you were an avid NEX user.
Yes, I am and was. :) Just that the announcement of the A55 was a trigger that I could not resist. I am now waiting for the A55, even though I wish I could have waited a week before selling off my NEX5 gear.

Terry

Yes, I am and was. :) Just that the announcement of the A55 was a trigger that I could not resist. I am now waiting for the A55, even though I wish I could have waited a week before selling off my NEX5 gear.
Tha A55 really compelling. I wish they made an A55 type amount camera. Yes, skipping the mirror but a NEX EVF, GPS etc version.

peterv

John, lots of info, reviews, samples, etc. here:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

You can look up both the 28 and the 30 you were asking about and lots of other A-mount lenses too. Keep in mind though that the screw drive lenses will most likely not AF on the NEX with the LA-EA1 adapter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Terry

Many choices will include the older Minoltas. Lieca lenses have me rather spoiled; I want f/2.0 or faster.
Not clear how many of those old Minolta lenses will be able to AF for the NEX.

I'm one who doesn't mind zoom lenses so I could see using the E mount 18-200 suplemented by a couple of alpha primes.

roweraay

How is the Sony 28/2.8 Alpha lens? How about the 30/2.8 macro?
The 28/2.8 is a lousy performer overall and since it does not have a built-in motor, it will not AF with the upcoming change. The 30/2.8 Macro (with a built in SAM motor), which is an APS-C lens, is supposed to be tack sharp and will AF with the firmware upgrade.

roweraay

Please note that there is a Sigma 18-250 HSM lens with built-in in-lens IS, for the A-mount. That could be another option to consider.

roweraay

Tha A55 really compelling. I wish they made an A55 type amount camera. Yes, skipping the mirror but a NEX EVF, GPS etc version.
EVF, GPS, built-in body-based IS, Fully articulated/swiveling LCD for the overhead shooting that you used the NEX5 during your Ireland trip for, and ability to natively use the A-mount lenses (which I have a collection of), ability to shoot HD-video with fast tracking Phase-Detect AF (a unique situation in the world of dSLR video) including with really old screw-drive lenses etc., make it a compelling choice.

The NEX bit the dust shortly thereafter and the A900 gets the job done in the meantime. :)

roweraay

I do not know much about how that works, but of course I would not be surprised to find that they do not AF. Too bad.
I think we need to separate out the lenses with built-in AF motor (with the SSM or SAM designation against them) and the ones without a built-in AF-motor (which rely on the body-based motor).

The SSM/SAM lenses are expected to AF with the firmware upgrade, while the others will most probably not.

PS: The SAM/SSM lenses include ones like the 35mm f/1.8, the 30mm f/2.8 Macro, the 85mm f/2.8, the Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8, the Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8, Zeiss 24mm f/2 Distagon, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G, the 70-400 f/4-5.6G, the 70-200mm f/2.8G etc., in addition to aftermarket lenses like the Sigma lenses etc that come with built-in motor (with the HSM designation)

T

tigertimb

Great news to hear that the AF is coming as they originally promised that they were hoping to do. Explains why there wasn't a statement saying that they couldn't do it as they were obviously still working on it.
This is certainly making the new 85mm f2.8 more attractive and I was already considering it for my A900 from a portability pov.

Here's hoping that they might make a couple of tweaks when using manual focus lenses too:
- I'd like the option to move the 'focus assist' onto the top button instead of the bottom
- and I'd love it if the NEX remembered where I left the focus point; moving off-centre makes it hard to maintain composition, so I'd like to be able to quickly check composition and then quickly recheck focus. (and I might prefer it's default position on 1/3rds anyway)

barjohn

This may be a dumb question but here goes. With the Sony Alpha series DSLRs is the focus motor in the lens or in the camera body? Do only newer lenses have a focus motor in the lens? If so, are they the only ones that AF may work with the NEX adapter? I have been looking at the Minolta and Alpha lenses but the terminology is new to me and I am not sure which may work and which series will be manual only on the NEX. I am presuming there is no focus motor in the adapter, I guess that could be wrong.