The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Get the 16mm Nex lens OR??

Jim DE

When I bought my Nex I got it with the 18-55 zoom kit lens. I think I have only used that lens for the week while I waited for my Contax G to NEX and Alpha to NEX adapters to come in. I can get a deal on a 16mm pancake NEX lens and was wondering what those that have this lens think? Get it or wait and see what Sony/Zeiss come out with instead in the next few months in this mount.

I have seen some pics with the 16mm and they appear decent but nothing beats a honest owners review.

Thanks in advance for your comments......

simonclivehughes

Jim,

Seems people either swear by it, or swear at it. Personally, I quite like the 16mm lens. Here's a shot taken this weekend with the 16mm, set at A-mode F3.2:

View attachment 35084

BTW, this is a RAW file processed in ACR for exposure only, no additional PP.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Jim DE

Thanks for the replies guys ...... I am surprised more did not have a comment on this lens. I am going to go ahead and buy this lens as the price is right and it will give me a slightly wider perspective when needed in my NEX bag.

Thanks again .....

tom in mpls

This is a fast 24mm equivalent lens. I think it's a no brainer. Of course I want to see another fast lens in the 24-35mm range (35-50mm equivalent), but this lens will still be a keeper even then.

That said, however, consider waiting just 2 more weeks to see what Sony and Zeiss announce for the NEX at Photkina.

Jim DE

Tom, I went and picked it up today ......

This is one of the shots I took today with it ..... It is a pic of local Charter Captains favorite evening watering holes.

All in all, I am pleased with this lens and the perspective it allows me to have with the NEX. It isn't as good IQ wise as my Contax G lenses but I did not expect it to be either. It did earn a place in my bag!

Jim DE

Here's one with daylight ......

As you can tell from the wave coming in it was a shoot and run shot ;)