The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex 5 Dilemma

chiquita

Hope someone can help me to decide what to do please! I have an EP2 and a Leica X1. I mostly use my cameras for travel and am just getting used to the X1 which takes great pictures. The problem is that since I have been using the X1 I'm now dissatisfied with the 4/3 sensor and I'm looking at exchanging the EP2 for a Nex 5 because it has a larger sensor. My dilemma is this: I also have a Nikon D40 and a few fairly ordinary lenses and was thinking of using this to p/ex for the Nex but now I can't decide which one to keep, the EP2 or the Nikon D40 as a back up system. Will I get as good an image with the Nex as the D40? I like the idea of being able to use better lenses on the Nex with an adapter too. Help :confused:

simonclivehughes

Agreed... the NEX sensor is a much newer design, and thus has better low light performance etc, than the one in the D40. What you need to factor in (at least at this time), however, is that the NEX has no EVF. I know the X1 has none either, but you can use an OVF on it, whereas this is not possible (again, at least as yet) on the NEX bodies.

Personally, I'm finding that with the "Sunshine" setting, the Nex's LCD is actually usable, even in bright sunlight! (I am, however, really hoping for an EVF.)

Cheers,

chiquita

Good point about the vf. The one on the EP2 is great and I'm already having problems with the X1 without one! Believe me, I've been reading everything I can lay my hands on as to user feedback! There are always compromises to be made and perhaps this is it. Anyway, to recap, you both think that I'll get as good files as with the D40?

simonclivehughes

From a pure performance standpoint, the NEX sensor should easily out do the older D40. Some members here have seen some issues with the NEX sensor, but for myself, I'm delighted with it.

Ciao,

chiquita

Thanks, I'm primarily interested in IQ. I struggle with a DP1 from time to time, nothing else could be so awkward I'm sure!

docmaas

Thanks, I'm primarily interested in IQ. I struggle with a DP1 from time to time, nothing else could be so awkward I'm sure!
don't expect to get images as good as those from the dp1 though. What it lacks in versatility it more than makes up for in images. The lens is every bit as good as the 21mm distagon for the size of the sensor. Unfortunately it's really only dependable at iso 200 and below.

Also, I think the sensor in the NEX is very similar to the sensor in X1 isn't it.

Mike

sebboh

Also, I think the sensor in the NEX is very similar to the sensor in X1 isn't it.

Mike
they are both made by sony. the one in the x1 is an older 12mp one (probably the same that is in the nikon d300) while the nex have a newer 14mp one.

chiquita

docmaas and sebboh, thank you both for your input. I will continue to look at everyone's pictures and try to make my decision. What I don't understand is that there seems to be a huge range of photos from the NEX online and for every three posts of crystal clear, good dynamic range pictures, there is one with truly awful output! Surely it can't just be user related?

sebboh

docmaas and sebboh, thank you both for your input. I will continue to look at everyone's pictures and try to make my decision. What I don't understand is that there seems to be a huge range of photos from the NEX online and for every three posts of crystal clear, good dynamic range pictures, there is one with truly awful output! Surely it can't just be user related?
that sounds like a really good percentage to me. i've always thought 90% of all shots from any camera looked bad due to user error (not talking about this forum).

there is always the question of taste in post processing too. some people like to have a flat scene look flat, others like to push a flat scene to show more dynamic range than was actually present. sharpening varies to a large degree as well. some people only sharpen for printing and viewing at 100%, some don't do any sharpening beyond the default of their raw processor/jpeg engine, and some sharpen for different web display sizes.

if you want to know what the camera is capable of resolution and dynamic range wise i would look at the usual review sites for measurements of those properties. if you want to see what it is capable of photographically i would find someone who's photographs you like on any camera and compare how they shoot with other cameras versus with the NEX.

simonclivehughes

Chiquita,

To follow up on what Sebboh suggests, you can find more pictures from the NEX (both the kit lenses and CV lenses), as well as the Panasonic and Olympus m4/3s cameras on my site on these pages:

NEX 5 with kit lenses:
http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Cameras/Pages/Sony_NEX_5.html

NEX 5 with CV lenses:
http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Whats_New.html

Images from the E-PL1 here:
http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Cameras/Pages/Olympus_E-PL1.html

And images from the G1, GH1 and GF1 here:
http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Cameras/Pages/Panasonic_G1_GH1_GF1.html

While I most certainly PP my images (always from RAW), perhaps you will see enough similarities/differences between these cameras to get a better feel if the NEX will work for you. I've only just gotten my M adapters and I'm still learning the camera, but I can assure you that it is capable of producing some excellent image files.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

Paratom

I would wait. The Ne has a nice sensors but the lens options avialable are limited in range and quality. A good sensor without the lens you need doesnt help.
I think a DSLR complements the x1 much better. I also have an x1 and E-P2 (but also M9 and D700) and I am not tempted by the Nex. The problem IMO is that the NEX is small but to use the large sensor you need big lenses or if you want to get them small they are slow/or low quality. Why a very small camera if you need huge lenses? Not balanced IMO. In this regard the sensor size of m4/3 makes more sense if you want to make lenses smaller.
My advice would be to enjoy the cameras you have. Personally I had some discussions because I believe the m4/3 IQ is very close to that of 1.5crop sensors up to ISO 800, but thats my opinion and experience and others have a different opinion.

simonclivehughes

The problem IMO is that the NEX is small but to use the large sensor you need big lenses or if you want to get them small they are slow/or low quality.
Do you really consider Leica/Voigtlander M lenses to be big? Or to be slow and have low quality? :wtf:

Cheers,

chiquita

Thanks Simon and t_streng. I'll be looking at Simon's links in a sec. t_streng, I understand what you are saying but I have owned a Nikon D80 and D40 and I just got fed up with the weight of them, not so much the D40 as it's fairly light, but with a large lens hanging down off my neck - not nice! Also, camera manufacturers don't seem to cater for ladies with small hands which is why the NEX feels so good to me. It's just the right size. Yes, it will become larger with a lens of some sort but there are many different lenses available and I prefer primes anyway! Interestingly, the lenses I use most on the EP2 are the hefty Zuiko 70 - 300mm (only used in the garden I might add) and the Zuiko 50mm f2 macro. Neither of them is tiny and neither focus anything like fast! I'm looking for a smaller package to take on my travels where I would be taking in the city sights and a few landscapes primarily. Thank you both for your advice :)

douglasf13

I've been walking around with the NEX-5 plus the 16/2.8, a Voigtlander 35/1.4, and a SMC Takumar 50/1.4, and it all fits nicely in a small bag. I haven't had the opportunity to capture anything forum-worthy yet, but I can say that the working method of this little camera is revolutionary for me. It is a bizarre combination of a modern digicam, Hasselblad, and rangefinder.

My A900 and other DSLRs will probably remain on the shelf until a situation arises where I don't mind the bulk (like in the studio or other shots with strobe lights, or dedicated photo trips.) For everyday use, the NEX is king. If Sony could squeeze the A900 sensor in a NEX body and retain wide angle performance, I would be in hog heaven. I can't believe that I've warmed up to no OVF!