The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX - Firmware and Lenses

Terry

OK - October is the firmware update to include:

Available from mid-October, a firmware update adds fresh functionality to the NEX-5/NEX-3. Autofocus operation is now supported when using A-mount SAM and SSM lenses with the optional LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor. There’s also a new custom function that allows assignment to buttons of frequently-used functions, plus a new function to record movies with setup aperture.

Lenses:
Wide fixed focal length CZ : available from 2011
Telephoto zoom : available from 2011
Macro : available from 2011
Portrait : available from 2011
High performance standard zoom G : available from 2012
Wide zoom : available from 2012
Mid-telephoto : available from 2012

Terry

Wow, I am really disappointed in the timeline for the new lenses.
That is sort of on par with m4/3
Two zooms at launch Sept 2008
7-14 and 14-140 late spring 2009
20mm 45 the fall 2009

I suspect we will see the next new for CES in January or PMA

douglasf13

I'm disappointed, so far, by no EVF info and what looks to be rather large lenses. I guess the good news is that the lenses may be fast, but none are of the pancake variety. Just one tiny 35-50mm equivalent pancake prime would be nice, and both Panny and Samsung seem to have no problem doing it. At that size, the Zeiss lens had better be an f1.4. Here is a pic of the 2011 release lenses from Masterbrew on dpr (I didn't label them, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the labels.) If I could dream, I would hope the Zeiss is a 35 f1.4 (equivalent) and the macro is a 50mm f2 or 2.8 (equivalent.)

Last edited:

douglasf13

p.s. I forgot to mention that I'm happy about the button reassignment. Hopefully, the ISO button issue will be a thing of the past.

V

Vivek

p.s. I forgot to mention that I'm happy about the button reassignment. Hopefully, the ISO button issue will be a thing of the past.
I will wait what v3.0 would do before being happy.

Could they not find an unchipped plastic barrel with a Zeiss logo? :eek:

barjohn

Other than the firmware upgrade this is pretty disappointing without small high quality lenses and an EVF. I will be ordering the Fuji X100 ($1,000 March 11) as quick as it is available.
It seems that Sony understood size advantage when they developed the NEX but forgot to tell their lens department that small high quality lenses were needed to match the small body. Look at how compact the Fuji F2 35mm equivalent lens is in the X100. I really like the NEX sensor quality and performance but find that without putting a Leica lens on it the image quality just isn't there with the soft lenses and the need for a 35mm (equivalent) small fast lens has been ignored. If size were not the issue, the A33 or A55 would be better choices.

douglasf13

Although I will probably buy an X100 for fun as well, it should be noted that the size of that camera's lens is misleading. By using a bit of visual trickery, many of the X100's lens elements are actually inside the camera body and extend right up next to the sensor, and that is the advantage of the fixed lens design. If the lens on the X100 was detachable, it would be quite a bit larger.

Still, I agree that not one normal pancake option, like the Samsung 30mm f2, is a silly decision by Sony.

barjohn

Interchangeable lenses would be fantastic and they will probably come out with a future model that has interchangeable lenses. For those occasions when I need wide angle the Sony is hard to beat, especially with the panorama mode. A couple of adapters (A WA and a TELE) for the fuji would cover 90% of my needs.

douglasf13

I am very excited about this. I hope I can change that big center button to manual focus zoom, and the lower soft key to ISO (looks that way, in the pic.)

sebboh

I am very excited about this. I hope I can change that big center button to manual focus zoom, and the lower soft key to ISO (looks that way, in the pic.)
sweet! i'll be changing the bottom button to iso, the center button to manual focus assist, and the flash button to mode (A,S,M,etc)

douglasf13

Yeah, I hope we can reassign the 4 way controller buttons, as well as the big center button, but, either way it's a big improvement.

Sony is an EVF and a digital focus distance scale (for zone focusing) away from making me a happy camper, although I do wish the new lenses were smaller.

V

Vivek

Another thumbs up for this!:thumbs:

If can stop myself trying to take the cam to my eye and cursing after realizing the absent EVF, I may even be able to use the NEX-5 more.