The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A55- what do you intend to do with it?

V

Vivek

For *still photography*, with the new fast AF features and many frames/s captures, the new A55 offers some advantage (already offered by the likes of Canon 1D MIII, etc).

Apart from the size advantage, bird photographers could use it for birds in flight shots (are there any fast/medium-fast telephoto lenses for the alpha mount?).

I am already planning a purchase of a suitable lens for my use (it will be for experimenting with the camera for non conventional use). Most likely, I will go with the Zeiss 16-80 zoom.

I am curious about what others intend to use it for (again other than for videos).:)

BackToSlr

For *still photography*, with the new fast AF features and many frames/s captures, the new A55 offers some advantage (already offered by the likes of Canon 1D MIII, etc).

Apart from the size advantage, bird photographers could use it for birds in flight shots (are there any fast/medium-fast telephoto lenses for the alpha mount?).

I am already planning a purchase of a suitable lens for my use (it will be for experimenting with the camera for non conventional use). Most likely, I will go with the Zeiss 16-80 zoom.

I am curious about what others intend to use it for (again other than for videos).:)
Vivek,

My birding goal for A55 is to catch sparrow in flight coming towards me ::thumbs: in AF. I am anxious for macro use too.

I am considering 500 f4, depending on how much it will cost, and when it will come, my guess is early 2011 with A77. Nothing in fast telephoto from Sony other than 70-400G, 300 f2.8 but there are old Minolta 300 f4, 400 f4.5, 600 f4.

But the bigger thing is to be able to use it for macro videos :ROTFL:
I am considering birding videos with them, it is insanely fast AF.

I was wondering the other day if i could get a baseball pitch coming straight at the camera, tracked at 10 fps...

Cheers,

N

jonoslack

Hi Vivek
Interesting point. I actually bought an A33 today; of course I would rather have had the A55, but I have a late afternoon wedding to do on Saturday, and I wanted a backup to the A900 which would do flash (don't have a flash solution for the M9, and all else has gone).
I also bought the 16-80 you mention.
Only got home after dark, so I've beem messing around with it and the 50 f1.4 as well. It's really weird using an EVF (or live view) with dSLR quality autofocus.
I've not opened the manual yet, and I rather doubt if I will, it all seems obvious and well laid out. I actually rather admired the NEX interface, but it's really sweet to go back to buttons on the outside.

jonoslack

Oops. Didn't really answer the question.

I intend to use it together with the 16-80 as a reasonably compact and capable point and shoot and also as a backup for my A900. Same as the NEX/Gf1/EP2/G1 were intended, but didn't really deliver the goods (ie I didn't use them). At least it behaves like the A900 and uses the same lenses with quick AF.

We shall see

Jim DE

Jono, I too bought a a33 today instead of waiting for the a55. After I weighed my needs and wants the a55 weighed in as an overkill for what I do. I never burst shoot, know the a33's sensor from my NEX and what it will do, don't want GPS, and could get it today instead of 3 or more weeks from now.

Vivek, I will be using the a33 for my Minolta AF zooms afield along with my NEX5 with RF legacy primes. Both these cameras with lenses attached feel lighter than my old Minolta 7D with a zoom attached. NEX/SLT combo will suit my needs afield perfectly with what I do.

Now, I just have to wait for RAW support in Aperture and CS5 :(

MPK2010

I intend to use it together with the 16-80 as a reasonably compact and capable point and shoot and also as a backup for my A900. Same as the NEX/Gf1/EP2/G1 were intended, but didn't really deliver the goods (ie I didn't use them). At least it behaves like the A900 and uses the same lenses with quick AF.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I finally caved and bought an M9 a few weeks back and I've since realized that the NEX is actually better suited as a travel complement to an M8/9 than to an A850/900 (assuming one can't have a second M9) -- lens size, manual focus, the NEX body is an insurance policy with video and further tourist/anonymity capabilities to boot.

The 850 sadly must now go, but the A33/55 looks like a great backup -- similar handling and focus and the body seems a better fit for the bigger Alpha lenses.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Vivek,

My birding goal for A55 is to catch sparrow in flight coming towards me ::thumbs: in AF. I am anxious for macro use too.

I am considering 500 f4, depending on how much it will cost, and when it will come, my guess is early 2011 with A77. Nothing in fast telephoto from Sony other than 70-400G, 300 f2.8 but there are old Minolta 300 f4, 400 f4.5, 600 f4.

But the bigger thing is to be able to use it for macro videos :ROTFL:
I am considering birding videos with them, it is insanely fast AF.

I was wondering the other day if i could get a baseball pitch coming straight at the camera, tracked at 10 fps...

Cheers,

N
N, Thanks for the list of lenses. I have used the many frames/s when I got my D300 (albeit only jpegs as the RAWs were limited) and with manual focus (AF would not have worked). Not exactly a bird in flight.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

D300, 20/3.5 Ais, extension ring.

With the A55, it might be possible to do some bigger subjects using AF. I will certainly try and see if it will work. :D

V

Vivek

Oops. Didn't really answer the question.

We shall see
Hi Jono! Wow! I hope to hear how it works for you. :)

V

Vivek

Jono, I too bought a a33 today instead of waiting for the a55. After I weighed my needs and wants the a55 weighed in as an overkill for what I do. I never burst shoot, know the a33's sensor from my NEX and what it will do, don't want GPS, and could get it today instead of 3 or more weeks from now.

Vivek, I will be using the a33 for my Minolta AF zooms afield along with my NEX5 with RF legacy primes. Both these cameras with lenses attached feel lighter than my old Minolta 7D with a zoom attached. NEX/SLT combo will suit my needs afield perfectly with what I do.

Now, I just have to wait for RAW support in Aperture and CS5 :(

Geez. Another impatient person!

Well, Jim, the A33/55 share NEX' battery. :thumbs:

jonoslack

Hi Jono! Wow! I hope to hear how it works for you. :)
Oh Vivek - I was happy to wait for the A55 . . . it was a bit of a panic for this wedding - if the A900 or the flash were to pack up, then I'd be . . erm . . knackered! The A33 will do the job if either breaks, but a few hours playing with it suggests that it should be pretty good as a 'point and shoot' with the 16-80, which seems like a nice lens (24-120 was always a favorite of mine).

As for the difference to the A55 - I'd like the GPS and the 16mp, but don't need the 10fps (oh no) I figured that this would do until the next generation appeared. I suspect that the difference between 14 and 16mp will be pretty small - especially at high ISO.

First impressions shooting in the kitchen is that the EVF works well in low light, and the focusing is quick and efficient.

Jim DE

Vivek great shot on the bee!!!!

If I was planning on the Minolta AF zooms being used more often than the RF primes on the NEX5 then I might of waited and bought by "numbers" ;) but, I surely saw no need for the advantages the a55 has over the a33(price difference was never a factor... their costs are so low and close to each other it didn't matter). When I was young I went for the "best". Had to have it and was never satisfied until I got it. The NEX5 taught me a valuable lesson this late in life. "Best" is whatever works for your needs and wants not all the bells and whistle you neither need or will use! The NEX5 and a33 most certainly are NOT the "best" cameras for every photographer out there but are the "best" for me at this time as carry cameras. ;)

I am very happy ..... now I can just go back to shooting and enjoying the photographs and isn't that what it is all about? :thumbup:

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jim.

I am also gathering bits more of information to decide what these (A33/A55) can be used for. I don't read any of the run of the mill (clueless) "reviews" online. My main interest is the liveview and the EVF. I may get rid of the pellicle mirror if I find that would serve my purpose (that means no AF at all).

Question for Jono/Jim: Where is the auto focus module located in the A33?
Above the pellicle mirror or below it (as in a regular SLR)?

jonoslack

Thanks, Jim.

I am also gathering bits more of information to decide what these (A33/A55) can be used for. I don't read any of the run of the mill (clueless) "reviews" online. My main interest is the liveview and the EVF. I may get rid of the pellicle mirror if I find that would serve my purpose (that means no AF at all).
Why would you want to do a thing like that? is that so that you can use a kind of inverted lens adapter?

Question for Jono/Jim: Where is the auto focus module located in the A33?
Above the pellicle mirror or below it (as in a regular SLR)?
I think it's below

all the best

Terry

Vivek - if you will stoop low enough to go to DPReview or even the Sony website, there are plenty of diagrams showing internally exactly where everything is located. I promise not to tell anyone if you type in DPRevuew to your browser.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Why would you want to do a thing like that? is that so that you can use a kind of inverted lens adapter?

all the best

Nothing to do with adapters, Jono.

I want a cam with liveview and EVF (currently it is a G1) so that I can make use of the sensor for my purposes (other than visible light photography).

I have to check if the liveview and the metering is through the sensor itself first. Then investigate the transmission properties of the pellicle mirror.

After that I have to decide whether to keep it as is, replace it with a more suitable one or get rid of it totally.

That is the general plan- within the confines my you know what.:ROTFL:

Terry

I'm sorry for the typo VIVEK. I'm out of town on an iPhone and spell check missed it as well as another typo.

jonoslack

Thanks, Jono!

Also, thanks for spelling the name right.

Proof that you do not need a brain the size of this Universe for that. :ROTFL:
Ouch . . . . I know my brain is smaller than the Universe . . . but it isn't always kind to say so :cry:

I have the advantage over Terry in that I'm typing on a keyboard rather than a screen.

V

Vivek

I'm sorry for the typo VIVEK. I'm out of town on an iPhone and spell check missed it as well as another typo.
No worries, Lady.:)

Everyone has their own afflictions.:ROTFL: I have a severe head cold now that reminded me of a head. :ROTFL: