The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

just curious - nex pricing forecasts

ampguy

Anyone have ideas or guesses on when the NEX prices will drop?

The best new deals, if one wants both lenses, is sonystyle direct, then selling one or both lenses that you don't need.

But I'd just guess, that by black friday or so, these should drop by $100 or more for kits?

What do you folks think?

I'm looking to use as a backup for my M8.

V

Vivek

Here, in the Netherlands, the NEX5+16mm kit I bought ~2 months ago (?) dropped ~100 Euros already. They will go down a bit further in a few more months.

That is Sony trend.

However, with the ever falling US $, that may not happen in the US.

emr

Not being an expert by any means, I think that the price depends totally on the sales and competition. If they sell like hot pancakes and no competitor's camera takes away a part of those sales, the price will not drop too much and in worst case scenario might even rise. But as things go usually, the sales drop after some time and after the early adopters have bought theirs, competitors bring something new and exciting and the price is adjusted accordingly. My guess is that by christmas, the price is down probably by about $100.

MPK2010

Not sure on prices, but I've found the NEX body to be a great little backup for an M recently. Different shooting experience and results of course, but slip it (w/M adapter) in the bag and it's a nice little insurance policy! :thumbup:

I don't see a lot of high end camera deals for black friday. Usually it's for p&s marked down to $99.

Find a used one if you want a deal.

ampguy

Thanks all, lots of great info. I am seeing u4/3 (first generation of 6 or so with same sensor) dropping to 1/2 of original MSRP, but they've been out for a year or so.

The GH1/GH2 have slightly different sensors than the rest.

I'm guessing (total guess), that NEX prices in the US will drop by $100 sometime in November.

hot

November is a good time to buy .... snow, snow, snow ... you can make pretty black & white photos ... like 50 years ago :)

PS: often I think, some people didn't hear Kodak invented color photo ... they buy Leica to make dusty b&w pictures :))))

volkerhopf

November is a good time to buy .... snow, snow, snow ... you can make pretty black & white photos ... like 50 years ago :)

PS: often I think, some people didn't hear Kodak invented color photo ... they buy Leica to make dusty b&w pictures :))))
I was at a seminar of one of the best known photographers in Singapore once and he showed only colour photos. When I asked him why he does only colour he answered: black and white is too difficult!