The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to NEX adapter

s.agar

Is there any adapter yet?
I was happy with Contax G lenses on GF-1. It should be fine also on the NEX.

kitsVA

I just ordered a Kipon one from ebay. Is shipped from NJ and the price is $90 compared to $138 from China.

s.agar

Thanks for the information.

I hope it's OK. Can you please check 2 things.

1. When you take a photo of a wall or something like that, with lens wide open, ie.F2 or F1.4, are the sides equally focused sharp? That is, is the thickness of the adapter uniform?
2. When focusing a very distant subject (at infinity), what distance is shown on the distance scale of the lens? Usually it will show something slightly less than the infinity mark. How much is the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Seyhun

volkerhopf

Thanks for the information.

I hope it's OK. Can you please check 2 things.

1. When you take a photo of a wall or something like that, with lens wide open, ie.F2 or F1.4, are the sides equally focused sharp? That is, is the thickness of the adapter uniform?

I have this problem With my $80.00 adapter from China. I am now waiting for the new adapter from metabones. It is supposed to come out around October 20.

2. When focusing a very distant subject (at infinity), what distance is shown on the distance scale of the lens? Usually it will show something slightly less than the infinity mark. How much is the difference?

I don't think there can be infinity markers for the Contax G lenses. That is the main reason why I consider using only Leica lenses. My Leica adapter (Voigtländer) is spot on.

Thanks in advance.

Seyhun
Regards Volker

s.agar

Jim,

Which adapter are you using?

I had some problems with G lenses on GF-1, mainly because the focusing piece was too small, and it was difficult to rotate it. What do you think about your adapter regarding this? (I assume the focusing wheel is equally small)

Seyhun

Jim DE

I use a Kipon Contax G to Nex adapter...... has the large focusing ring which is slightly larger than the mounting area. No focus issues .... works great. Lenses under 35mm seem to all smear in the corners when opened up fully and at infinity focus but 35mm and above have no such issues and are a pure joy to shoot with.

T

turtleinsea

I use a Kipon Contax G to Nex adapter...... has the large focusing ring which is slightly larger than the mounting area. No focus issues .... works great. Lenses under 35mm seem to all smear in the corners when opened up fully and at infinity focus but 35mm and above have no such issues and are a pure joy to shoot with.

Regarding the smearing, have you experienced this first-hand or are you going by what others have observed?

Jim DE

First hand ........... wide open and at infinity focus the 28 exhibits smearing in the corners. At around 5.6 it is almost completely gone.

I never make comments from what others say....... only what I see or experience. Just like the 21 will not mount without interference between the rear lens extensions and the NEX inner housing. What I have seen with those who did mount it was excessive color shift and smearing when set wide open and at infinity. I still own and shoot my Contax G2 and the 21mm IMO is the best lens in the series for this camera but is a definite NO-GO on the NEX for fit and if you cut the extensions the optical results are very poor from the examples I have seen. My 21 is remaining uncut and mounted on my Contax G2 because of this.

I own the 21,28,35,45,and 90 in the Contax G lenses

Jim DE

28 fits without cutting or altering just fine .... the 21 is the one that does not fit!

I use my 28 at 5.6 or higher if I am focusing out to infinity..... indoors at shorter focus distances you can get away with using more open apertures without any smearing issues.

This is what the 28mm smearing looks like at f2.8 and focused to infinity ..... it is there but easily worked around IMO

This is an example of a shot at f8 with the 28

douglasf13

I'm not sure I would call it smearing at f2.8. It could just be normal low resolution at the edges of a lens wide open. You should see the ZA 24-70 at 24mm f2.8 at the edges.

Jim DE

Douglas the 28 on the Contax G using film is razor sharp at 2.8 all the way across the frame. As is the fantastic 21mm ( my favorite lens on the Contax G by far). That is why on the NEX I called it smearing. Whatever one wants to call it it goes completely away by 5.6 and is barely noticeable at 4.

s.agar

These are just fine for me.

But looking closely, is there more on the right corners? If so, can it be from the uneven adapter machining? Can you pls check on the original large files. If its equal on both sides, I can still live with it. And F8 is perfect.

As you have commented above, I agree that on G2 there were no problems at all, whatever is causing that.

Jim DE

It's equal on both sides when viewed full size ....... I just work around it s.agar being as I like having the 42mm perspective at times.

I carry the 28, 45, and 90 along with the Sony 16, Sony 18-55, a Sony 2x 55mm adapted tele converter, and the Sony fisheye aux lens in a small 10"x13" doctors style camera bag with all my filters, batteries, remote trigger, small tripod, and accessories. Got to luv the compactness of this camera system and I am covered for most everything I do with just one 10"x13" camera bag.

My 35mm Contax G lens is out in the midwest still but I will get it someday when I have to go out there for some other reason. To just fly out for the lens would cost more than just ordering another one off the net :(