The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1/NEX-5 -- decision time

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
Another consideration at least where you live is you need something that can stand the heat while in your car.
I don't know how that changes things.
-bob

jonoslack

The Nex5 has the small factor which I like but I am more a viewfinder guy so leaning at the A33 but How the heck is the EVF.
Well, the EVF on the A33 is just fine - of course if you're going to stick on prime lenses then the NEX5 is much smaller, but if you want a zoom, then you may as well have an A33.

We did a big wedding over the weekend - dreadful light (until it got dark, when the dark was dreadful). I gave Emma the A33 with the sony/zeiss 16-80, put it on P mode, auto ISO, auto WB and just told her to snap away - two things were noticeable:

1. there was not a single shot that was technically unusable
2. she had really good fun (and Emma does NOT take to new cameras)

For me, the NEX is really good intelligent design BUT like the GF1 and the EP, the camera really does get in the way (for me I say). The A33 just takes pictures, and in a few minutes you forget that you're using an EVF - the screen is big and bright.
I would have waited for the A55 - but we really did need a credible backup for the Sony / Zeiss lenses, and if I'd needed to use it for that, then the results would have been fine. I don't honestly believe that the IQ is going to be worse than your 7D (if you use equivalent lenses).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Jono that helped.

True Bob it is blistering hot here. Would not leave in car except to travel mostly

Terry

Jono,
On Auto ISO can you configure it for min shutter speed like Nikon? What range will auto work in. Will it allow you to go above the 1600 of the NEX?

jonoslack

Jono,
On Auto ISO can you configure it for min shutter speed like Nikon? What range will auto work in. Will it allow you to go above the 1600 of the NEX?
Hi Terry - I don't think so, and no, it doesn't go above 1600 - not perfect, but in practice it did a pretty good job.

C

curious80

A33/A55 are certainly intriguing cameras. However from their specifications they are about the same weight as a canon T2i etc and seem to be larger than some DSLRs like pentax k-x. They certainly seem significantly deeper than GH1 like cameras.

So what advantages do you think they offer over the small dslrs? Phase detect AF during video is certainly desirable but from a pure still shooting point of view I didn't see too many reasons to prefer these over something like a T2i?

V

Vivek

So what advantages do you think they offer over the small dslrs? Phase detect AF during video is certainly desirable but from a pure still shooting point of view I didn't see too many reasons to prefer these over something like a T2i?
I asked the same question in a different form in another thread....

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19821

Sony advertise thusly:

Capture the decisive moment.

Change the way you shoot pictures with Sony's new Translucent Mirror Technology™ DSLR camera. The SLT-A55V α DSLR camera features professional-grade continuous shooting at 10 fps and visibly faster, more accurate focus in Live View and HD Movie modes. Compose your shots on either the LCD monitor or electronic viewfinder with 100% framing accuracy. Advanced features including Auto HDR, Sweep Panorama and 15-point Auto Focus make it dramatically easier to get the best shot.
I look forward to any validation of these.

Terry

A33/A55 are certainly intriguing cameras. However from their specifications they are about the same weight as a canon T2i etc and seem to be larger than some DSLRs like pentax k-x. They certainly seem significantly deeper than GH1 like cameras.

EVF - completely different technology with shooting info live histogram and much brighter viewfinder than equivalent dslrs.
Image quality is very good. Dynamic Range and high ISO
I like Sony color
A55 has GPS - something I've been waitng for.
There are some shooting functions that are very useful...sweep Pano, auto HDR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I had the T2 while a nice cam it would not go fast at all and hit the buffer really quick. The files are okay and the noise good at 1250 but after that nothing really special, I replaced it with a 7d which is a lot better build. Also focusing was a challenge with the T2. So I am somewhat expecting the A55 to be closer to the 7D in some ways. Find out soon enough I dropped the ball on a A55 about a hour ago. Yes I am a very sick individual but I have a serious reputation around here as the king of gears sluts. And I have been slipping a little. LOL

C

curious80

EVF - completely different technology with shooting info live histogram and much brighter viewfinder than equivalent dslrs.
Image quality is very good. Dynamic Range and high ISO
I like Sony color
A55 has GPS - something I've been waitng for.
There are some shooting functions that are very useful...sweep Pano, auto HDR
I guess my point was that A33/A55 do not really look like alternatives to the NEX/m43 cameras as they have the same form factor (both body and lenses) as other small DSLRs. Sure they have some nifty tricks and I will give them a good look if I am in the market for a small dslr (I have a couple of excellent minolta lenses). However from portability perspective they don't seem to add much over the existing DSLR options.