The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Terry

I don't think there is a 75. I think people we talking about the 50mm on a crop sensor giving a 75mm field of view with f1.4 aperture

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes like a 75 Lux now I would kill for that look. BTW Still waiting. UPS obviously does not know how impatient I am. LOL

roweraay

... to order the Zeiss 16-80.
Another option is the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX HSM OS lens. The lens comes with stabilization, which would be useful for video. Sure, the range is smaller than the 16-80 but you get HSM and constant f/2.8 in return.

I got mine yesterday and am thoroughly happy with its performance. I used to have the 16-80, back in the day when I had an A700.

roweraay

Anyway I was bad this morning and ordered the Zeiss 16-80 and Jack is holding a 20 2.8 Minolta lens for me. Fast 30mm effective should be fun. I 'm surprised folks have not bought what he has to sell if that 50 1.4 is not sold in a couple days i may just have to get that too 75 1.4 sounds appealing. .
Another option, if you like a 50mm equiv FOV, is the new Sony 35mm f/1.8, which is a bit plasticky but optically really good. Costs $199, brand-new.

Have been using it on my A55.

roweraay

Really like this picture. And considering the conditions, really great.

Congratulations - I hope you'll enjoy it.

Here's one - taken by the boss (Emma) of yours truly.
This was p mode: f3.5 18mm 1/30th second ISO 400 no flash - jpg (no special HDR stuff)
It was grey outside and not too well lit inside - I just thought it managed an impossible situation pretty well.

More Later

Guy Mancuso

Yes this image here is the kick that will make you buy one. Here is why sure the windows are blown but the back of these three young children should be MUCH darker as they are really not in any light. Sure plenty of light kicking around but this is good DR right here considering Jono and Emma are not blown out. The other shot Jono took in the morning with the leaves again same thing the leaves should be darker but we see plenty of detail. Now i shoot MF and maybe the best back there is in regards to DR rated at 12.5 stops. What I am seeing here on the A33 is damn good. I'm impressed

monza

I don't think there is a 75. I think people we talking about the 50mm on a crop sensor giving a 75mm field of view with f1.4 aperture
Has anyone else thought about adapting lenses to the fixed mirror Sonys? For example, a 50/2 Summicron R using a Leitax adapter...no need for a chip for focus confirm; it's like using an adapted lens on micro 4/3 or NEX, with focus at the sensor. I have adapted lenses to Nikon and Canon and there always seems to be some degree of focus error which can often negate the use of a wide aperture. This will not be an issue on the A33 and A55.

Terry

Has anyone else thought about adapting lenses to the fixed mirror Sonys? For example, a 50/2 Summicron R using a Leitax adapter...no need for a chip for focus confirm; it's like using an adapted lens on micro 4/3 or NEX, with focus at the sensor. I have adapted lenses to Nikon and Canon and there always seems to be some degree of focus error which can often negate the use of a wide aperture. This will not be an issue on the A33 and A55.
Guy and I were looking at a Mamiya mount yesterday. I do have a Leica R lens and it would be interesting to see it with an adapter. I would guess on some of the larger/heavier lenses the larger expected A77 camera might be a better fit.

V

Vivek

Has anyone else thought about adapting lenses to the fixed mirror Sonys? For example, a 50/2 Summicron R using a Leitax adapter...no need for a chip for focus confirm; it's like using an adapted lens on micro 4/3 or NEX, with focus at the sensor.
One would need a chip to make use of the anti shake feature, I would think.

I am not sure why anyone would want to use adapted lenses on the A33/55s though.

Fast AF is the key feature of these new cams, isn't it?

Considering the size/weight and the AF, the 35/1.8 DT looks to be the obvious choice.

It is far cheaper to buy/use a regular DSLR (Sony or whatever brand there is) to use manual focus lenses.

I have been watching the Sony A390 (it was A350 -> 380 ->390/290 now) for some special application. The prices have been falling steadily and now it is ~ 1/2 the introductory price.

Once there is a massive clearance and they start to give these away for free with a purchase of a Sony appliance, I will act.;)

jonoslack

Here is why sure the windows are blown but the back of these three young children should be MUCH darker as they are really not in any light. Sure plenty of light kicking around but this is good DR right here considering Jono and Emma are not blown out.
:ROTFL: You can't blow Emma out - no camera would dare - BUT actually, that's NOT Emma in the photo, she took the photo - my new wedding assistant.

The little Sony did really well - not much time for thinking about exposure in circumstances like that - I was shooting with the M9, and Emma with the A33. It worked well.

Here is one of Emma (my new assistant) - waiting for some more action:

this was taken with the safety camera (A900 Zeiss 24-70 with fill flash)

jonoslack

Guy and I were looking at a Mamiya mount yesterday. I do have a Leica R lens and it would be interesting to see it with an adapter. I would guess on some of the larger/heavier lenses the larger expected A77 camera might be a better fit.
I do hope it isn't larger - what on earth is the point? Unless you are going to impress people, then it needs to be D3 sized!

I was talking to another wedding photog, and he was saying that he would really like a great big mock camera into which he could fit a nice small camera!

Guy Mancuso

Well finally it arrived late yesterday. Okay its small and smaller than I thought it would be. Now I have sausage fingers and have to say the damn thing fits in my hand like a glove. My pinky has nothing to do but could point it out like I was drinking champagne than again maybe not. LOL

Shot a couple shots and look very promising indeed. Than i went and did all the menu stuff. Okay like everyone else a ton of stuff but one you set that up not a whole big reason to go back in except format your card. What I liked was this function button on the back that once employed it pretty much covers the gamut of useful features. Than you have some redundancy with the spin wheel ISO, WB, Drive speed and display which is nice since you don't have to go into the functions. Now I am not a big fan of bells and whistle and mostly use M and AV modes the rest to me are not need on any cam for me at least. So yes has a lot of stuff but well organized and still can be simple. Which I like that part.

As i get into it more there maybe something that bugs me which is understandable, these things are made for the masses but as long as you can turn stuff off than it's great.

The EVF is MUCH better than I thought it would be and that was the most worrisome part. I took some frames and look good but ran out of battery in a heart beat since it was only charged to maybe 15 percent and I played with the camera more than I shot and my Zeiss lens come late today also so just have the kit lens which seems okay.

But I have to take Drake my dog in for some eye surgery up where I usually go play around with anew cam. So I will take him and go sneak away for a half hour and play a little. Honestly I want the Zeiss for this stuff but will go play a little. So far I have not put it back in the box and not sure I will either . I like it
I'm very picky about these tools so we will see how it goes but so far so good. Thanks folks for posting it has helped me look for certain things in the files. This is going to the workshop so I will have a lot of images from it to post.