The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great his eye looks so much better. Real good looking stud now. I shot some than the Zeiss showed up. I will post the kit lens shots but very easy in the field trying to see if I like review on or not. Post some shots later but will head out with Zeiss in morning. Nice build on the Zeiss I like having 16mm

roweraay

I do hope it isn't larger - what on earth is the point?
Well, there are people (definitely not me !) who like the camera to be larger sized. Based on feedback on Dyxum, these folks find a product like the A333/55 etc to be too small and don't fit well into their hands.

I personally like light and small, and the A55 fits right in.

Guy Mancuso

Well I put them up on Idisk both Raws and jpegs. I think the +2 sharpening on the jpegs maybe a little much . I am going to back down to 1 for jpegs tomorrow. Thoughts on this but here

Okay I put the jpegs in the Mobile me account. Now they do have +2 sharpening which maybe a bit much. I also put all the raws in there folder 100MSDCF.

You can open the jpegs in C1 and see how I shot them.

NOW this is with the KIT lens not the new Zeiss.

Link https://public.me.com/guymancuso

tom in mpls

A55, 35/1.8, ISO 100, 1/2000, AWB, sharpened a bit, resized, no other processing (from RAW)
I tried hard to get the mandatory cat pic, but none of my cats feel like cooperating.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

BTW on mine they are test images so I do not care if your process and post here it is fine with me. I'm all about getting data for the forum with these. Just FYI heavy sun deep shadows.

The jpegs are a little overcooked with sharpening 2 for the jpegs. Maybe 1 or none

tom in mpls

I'm using the Hakuba hand grip; it works great. But 2 points to make.

1. Get out your dremel to cut off the lip.
2. It covers the battery/SD cover, but with a quick turn of the knob it easily rotates out of the way.

Guy Mancuso

Looking closely the kit lens is okay. Sot a few Zeiss and far better. Give it a run with the Zeiss in morning. Color is nice and DR is pretty good. Rather test harder with the Zeiss since that is what I will be using.

jonoslack

Turns out the Zeiss rocks the house. I turned the sharpening off and just auto ISO and these scream with detail
Fab isn't it - and as you say, it's nice having the 24mm equivalent . . for me it gives just enough range that I needn't carry anything else.

tom in mpls

Here it is! The cat! All is now right with the world. I used the LCD to put the camera down almost to the level of the deck.
Torture test with white fur in the sun plus dark shadows. Uncropped, 80mm, f4.5, ISO, 1/1600 sec 200.

Last edited:

Eoin

Hi Jono,

Quick question for you, I presume this lens you're referring to is the Zeiss 16-80 DT?.
Have you tried the a33 with your ZA 24-70 yet?. And if so do you have any comments regarding differences or otherwise.

I can see the merits of a single 16-80 on the a33/a55 but I don't fancy dropping another €800 on a lens when I have both the ZA 16-35 & ZA 24-70 to cover the range (granted it's 2 lenses but a constant f:/2.8 to boot)

Also have you played with the video yet?, any comments?.

TIA

edwardkaraa

I played a bit with the A55 at Sony today. I have to say that the EVF is simply amazing and the AF points are placed at the right places, much better than the A900. I would have no hesitation to buy the FF version if it ever becomes available.

B

Bob Yanal

New Sony SLT a55 arrived yesterday. (Following shots taken in JPEG as Aperture doesn't yet read the Sony's raw files.)

This taken with a Tamron 60mm f/2.

The next two taken with the Sony 18-250mm.