The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

roweraay

Have you tried the a33 with your ZA 24-70 yet?. And if so do you have any comments regarding differences or otherwise.
Having had the 24-70ZA, 16-35ZA and the 16-80ZA in the past, used at the time on my earlier A700 (the 16-80 and A700 were subsequently sold), I can state that the prime advantage of the 16-80 is a combination of small size/weight and excellent range on APS-C bodies. But for sheer performance, it does not, in any way shape or form, match the FF Zeiss lenses.......especially when those full-frame Zeiss lenses are deployed on a DT body.

If you can tolerate the larger size, heavier weight and shorter range, and don't mind carrying those around, then there is no quesiton that the FF Zeiss lenses, which are built to do duty on the far more challenging FF environment, will have no problems in running circles around the DT lens for sheer quality.

tom in mpls

Having had the 24-70ZA, 16-35ZA and the 16-80ZA in the past, used at the time on my earlier A700 (the 16-80 and A700 were subsequently sold), I can state that the prime advantage of the 16-80 is a combination of small size/weight and excellent range on APS-C bodies. But for sheer performance, it does not, in any way shape or form, match the FF Zeiss lenses.......especially when those full-frame Zeiss lenses are deployed on a DT body.

If you can tolerate the larger size, heavier weight and shorter range, and don't mind carrying those around, then there is no quesiton that the FF Zeiss lenses, which are built to do duty on the far more challenging FF environment, will have no problems in running circles around the DT lens for sheer quality.
True, true. I had those lenses and an A700. Great gear. That's when I decided I had had enough of a big body and huge lenses. That 24-70 is a frigging monster. Great lens, but b-i-i-i-g.

Jim DE

FYI, Power 2000 3rd party batteries from 47st Photo via Amazon do not work in the a33. They are just slightly too short to make proper contact to contact connection.

I installed a 3/8"x3/8" piece of adhesive backed fuzzy velcro material to the rear of the battery at the top dead center position to give it a very slight compression when the battery door is shut and locked. Seems to be working ok with this fix. Figured I would pass this fix along........

Eoin

Thanks Roweraay, I had suspected as much but just needed some form of confirmation.

V

Vivek

New Sony SLT a55 arrived yesterday. (Following shots taken in JPEG as Aperture doesn't yet read the Sony's raw files.)

The next two taken with the Sony 18-250mm.

Thanks for posting. The tamron looks good.

The Sony 18-250 is definitely off the list (tonnes of CA, etc). How did they manage to make a zoom like this (and sell it for cash)? :confused:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay have ten more test shots here to load up. I picked some images that are a challenge to cams just to see how it handles things. These are all processed in ACR and corrected for best results which BTW was not a lot of corrections. Basically some recovery and fill. I did NOT sharpen these either. I always test cams in this little town because i can get a lot of color, detail and DR situations. All shot with the Zeiss 16-80 on Daylight WB. Various apertures and focal lengths. Do get a little vignetting at 16mm wide open . Look at metal horse shot

here you go and hope it helps folks

Guy Mancuso

On daylight these are coming in at about 5k kelvin if lowered to 4400 kelvin which is about right for early morning than they are more neutral to the correct WB. I left them at 5k for the warmer look

Guy Mancuso

This is WB out to 4200 kelvin. Again you don't always have to be dead on with scenics, depends on look you are after. But in this image it is actually better. These images are more to see what is coming in from cam without too much adjustments.

jonoslack

Great shots Guy - lovely morning light . . . .

I tried some different lenses today. These shots are with the Sony/Zeiss 135 f1.8 - all jpg files with marginal modification.

jonoslack

I read in the dpreview review that the AF tracking seemed less than perfect. I'm not really in a position to judge it, as it's something I use so rarely.

So - I bunged on the Sony 70-300 G lens, stuck it on spot AFC and started snappin' away (I didn't try continuous shooting, somehow I can't bring myself to let the camera take the shots!)

Most of these were taken between 200 and 300mm, and in case you wondered that dog moves (he was keeping up with a whippet easily) what's worse is that he never goes in a straight line for more than 2 seconds at a time.

Anyway, I managed to get a really high proportion of keepers - and it was a pleasure to use.

Terry

Wow- Reichman said tracking was really good when he was doing video. I was surprised when dpreview came back as so-so. I don't know how well I would have gotten those with any camera.

jonoslack

Wow- Reichman said tracking was really good when he was doing video. I was surprised when dpreview came back as so-so. I don't know how well I would have gotten those with any camera.
Quite Terry
The dogs were zooming around like bezums - They aren't all perfect (the last one he's got a bit ahead of the focus) but I've never got shots like that, and they were really consistently good.

simonclivehughes

I just picked up an A33 kit this afternoon. Here are a few from a walk, all with the 18-55mm kit lens. All handheld.

Close focus
View attachment 36320

View attachment 36321

View attachment 36322

View attachment 36323

All processed in ACR and CS5 from RAW.

I'm hoping to pick up the Zeiss 16-80mm this week. I'm off to New Orleans next week and the A33 is going with me.

One thing I did notice was that in about an hour's time of rambling with occasional stills shooting (no video), the temperature warning appeared! Wow! This is not heavy shooting, and on a coolish afternoon... astonishing!

Since I've NEVER had this issue with ANY other stills digital, I have to wonder if it is actually an out-of-whack reading that triggers it? I was able to keep shooting, even though the warning was present, however, I didn't try too many shots before I cycled the camera off for a couple of minutes. When I next turned it on, the warning was gone. Regardless of the cause, Sony is going to have to step lively on this.

Cheers,

Last edited:

jonoslack

One thing I did notice was that in about an hour's time of rambling with occasional stills shooting (no video), the temperature warning appeared! Wow! This is not heavy shooting, and on a coolish afternoon... astonishing!
Hi Simon
I was blasting away for a whole batteries worth yesterday afternoon, including mostly AFC, and some video - no heat warning, I wonder if you shouldn't get a replacement before you go off somewhere hot!

simonclivehughes

I'm beginning to wonder that too, Jono. We're doing our Thanksgiving here today so I'll have a chance to run it through the hoops and then see whether it should go back.

Good to know that others are not having this issue.

Cheers,