The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

jonoslack

Just back from a trip to Venice:
Here are a couple of shots from Burano with the A-33

Both with the Sony/Zeiss 16-80.

More Later!

Paratom

Good morning guys,
please allow me some questions about Sony
I wondered why you guys choose the A33/55 over other DSLRs.
What is so special about the A55?
Is it the EVF which in one way is great for video but how does it work for still (time delay? for catching action??)
And how do you rate the IQ compared to the larger FF A900/850?
The images I see posted here I like a lot. The colors seem to be just to my taste.
Has anybody compared it to the GH1?

Today I use mostly x1/M9 and D700. Now while I do really like the speed/AF-accurancy and some lenses of the Nikon I sometimes am not so happy with skin tones and also still find sometimes imags look a bit artificial (specially micro structures, skin for ecample) Can the A55 do better /is it closer to the Leica M9 look?

16-80 sounds like a very flexible lens.

How good is the 50/1.4? How is its bokeh?

Thanks a lot for any feedback. Tom

jonoslack

Good morning guys,
please allow me some questions about Sony
I wondered why you guys choose the A33/55 over other DSLRs.
What is so special about the A55?
Is it the EVF which in one way is great for video but how does it work for still (time delay? for catching action??)
And how do you rate the IQ compared to the larger FF A900/850?
The images I see posted here I like a lot. The colors seem to be just to my taste.
Has anybody compared it to the GH1?

Today I use mostly x1/M9 and D700. Now while I do really like the speed/AF-accurancy and some lenses of the Nikon I sometimes am not so happy with skin tones and also still find sometimes imags look a bit artificial (specially micro structures, skin for ecample) Can the A55 do better /is it closer to the Leica M9 look?

16-80 sounds like a very flexible lens.

How good is the 50/1.4? How is its bokeh?

Thanks a lot for any feedback. Tom
:ROTFL:That's a lot of questions Tom!
I bought an A33 because I suddenly needed a backup for my A900 for a significant job -
The reason for choosing it was that it was VERY SMALL and has a BIG viewfinder - it even seems okay after using my A900 - and of course it uses the same lenses.
The IQ is really good - not as good as the A900, but still very useable, and the high ISO is better . . actually, I'm not sure that it's a huge amount better, but it's more useable.

AF is really excellent - and AFC seems to work really well too.

The colour is fine - I've also had trouble with Nikon colours (yallower than clay), but I find the A33 to be a soul mate of the A900, which, in turn works very well with the M9 - the A33 does have an AA filter of substance, but the images seem fine; if you have an X1 then you'll get the idea (another Sony sensor).

The 50 f1.4 is pretty good - at least, it seems good on the A33 as a short, fast telephoto:

Grab shot at f1/4 1/25 1600 ISO

I always liked 16-120 lenses, but they always have their flaws, the Zeiss one is no exception, and it can be soft at the corners wide open, but it has a nice feel to it, and I've been really pleased with the images.

As a friend of mine said, " the definition of good technology is that it is NOT IRRITATING"

Well, the A33 is not irritating - it works fast and well, and it's small and light . . . . it doesn't feel like an M9 though!

apsheng

Would the EVF of the A33/55 help in nailing the focus with Leica R lenses? e.g. the Lux 80R wide open. I bought a A900 and converted my five R lenses. But get more misses than keepers with the 80R @f1.4 or 2.0 even with the type M screen.
Thanks in advance,
Alan

monza

This is one thing I'm most intrigued about with the A33/A55...having adapted Leica R glass to Nikon and Canon with inconsistent results, I'm hoping that manual focus direct off the sensor on these cameras will solve this...

Eoin

.....Well, the A33 is not irritating - it works fast and well, and it's small and light . . . . it doesn't feel like an M9 though!
Hi Jono,

My a55 arrived yesterday and I'm not quite sure what it feels like. Looks like a dSLR with the kit lens, feels abnormal with a Zeiss FF Zoom (unbalanced). It's tiny and light compared to my a900s which I consider small to begin with. My little finger has nowhere to go.

I haven't used it yet, hopefully will get a chance over the next few days. EVF looks ok but it's no comparison to the beautiful viewfinder in the a900. But I accept it's a different concept and see how I get on with it over time.

Other than that, it seems a very capable unit with a lot of strings to it's bow. It seems good value for what it can do, but then again I've lost all concept of "value for money" when it comes to photography. The biggest plus for me is I can add this to an existing Lens/Camrea system without any compromise of adapters or MF and it just works.

I guess I'll be shooting jpegs until Aperture supports the a55, do you have any tips on settings for the Jpegs?.

I'm really looking forward to shooting a bit of video with this, it should be fun.

jonoslack

The biggest plus for me is I can add this to an existing Lens/Camrea system without any compromise of adapters or MF and it just works.

I guess I'll be shooting jpegs until Aperture supports the a55, do you have any tips on settings for the Jpegs?.
As you say - it just works, no culture shock (but I like the way the menus work with the fn button). I find it okay with the 70-300, wouldn't really use it with the 24-70, but I did have some real fun with the 135 - focusing seems very quick.

With respect to JPGs, I've just been putting the noise reduction to lowest and setting the exposure compensation to -1/3 (I'd rather have noisy shadows than blown highlights). Then I've been shooting RAW+JPG, but I must say I haven't found much reason to use the RAW files so far.

Tom - no worries, I wasn't complaining.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have it on this Yosemite workshop with the 16-80, 20 2.8, 28 2.8 and 50 1.4. Been working really nice and have a lot of images to post when I get home. Been mostly using the old Minolta prime lenses the last several days and they seem very good IQ wise they just act kind of strange mechanically. Kind of jump after a shot with focus mechanism. I will most likely sell the primes though just for the reason I wanted a small one lens cam for traveling and play stuff.

S

sebasco

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I love the work folks have posted. They inspired me to go out and buy the Sony A55 as a complement to my Leica.

Just got the camera last eve and have to say that while it is not an M9, it is pretty damn good. First, the jpeg engine is incredible and the AWB outdoors is exemplary. It also holds highlights well. I shot Raw & JPEG but like Jono have had no need to go that route on my outdoor photos as the jpegs and the color in the jpegs is already excellent. I can see myself shooting jpegs outdoors with this baby and Raw & jpeg indoors or in tough lighting situations.

In any event, I went out today in Rochester, New York circa 1 pm, during my lunch hour, to our Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Walk and shot a few pics that I am posting. Here is hoping others chime in, share their opinion of the cameras, tips on shooting with them and photos they have shot with them.

Enjoy!