The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX firmware 03

jonoslack

Hi There
I don't have a NEX anymore, but I think this update speaks volumes about Sony's attitude. Most companies (especially Japanese) seem to consider each product 'finished' and if they do firmware updates they're small and largely insignificant - this one is big, and implies that they've really been listening.

Hooray!

Terry

I thought their button setting suggestions were sort of interesting. Will be fun to see how people set it up.

monza

IMHO the dpreview initial review was overly harsh. The interface isn't perfect but it's not nearly as bad as they made it out to be. That said I'm looking forward to trying the new rev but it probably won't make much difference to me...

G

GaryW

I can live with rev 02, but I already have plans for the custom buttons. It's as if they asked me personally what I wanted. :)

douglasf13

I'm pretty happy with it, although I was hoping to be able to reassign the MF assist function to a different button, and that is not an option with the new firmware.

Threshold

I wonder if Sony realizes that vast numbers of their customers use Macs. Thinking about the broadcast camera updates I've done that are Windows only, no they don't.

V

Vivek

I wonder if they realize that their noise reduction (weak/strong) settings destroy what their sensors can offer and wonder if they would make it possible to turn off the noise reduction altogether (just like their DRO/HDR stuff).

M

matti

I would like to be able to se ISO nr on the screen. That way, when I use shutter priority, I can use auto ISO and change aperture and shutter speed and see what the camera does. Only me?
/matti

douglasf13

I wonder if they realize that their noise reduction (weak/strong) settings destroy what their sensors can offer and wonder if they would make it possible to turn off the noise reduction altogether (just like their DRO/HDR stuff).
Are you shooting jpeg? The NR doesn't affect RAW, AFAIK.

V

Vivek

Nope. RAW+jpg.

It does affect the RAW if one uses the sony supplied converter (the same silly "waek" NR is the only alternate possibility there). LR3.2 is great but I would like to see something simple.

douglasf13

Gotcha. I've got copies of various versions of the Sony IDC program for 4 different cameras, and they certainly aren't for anyone concerned about absolute detail zoomed in. LR is a nice middle ground, but Raw Therapee and Raw Photo Processor are unbeatable for absolute resolution.

I too wish there was a NR off option for the occasion I use jpgs.

simonclivehughes

OK, here's what I'm setting the custom buttons for:

Button (B) is set for Manual Focus

Button (C1) is ISO
Button (C2) is WB
Button (C3) is Creative Style

I also specifically go to the LCD Brightness function and then exit the Setup menu. This allows me 2-steps to get to the LCD brightness toggle whenever I need it.

Since I am using the NEXes (I have 2 NEX5s) with my Voigtlander lenses, exclusively for manual focus, and I shoot RAW only, but I like to see my compositions in B&W sometimes, I find this combo of buttons works nicely!

Interested to see if others have some interesting assignments, and why.

Sony is to be commended for listening and reacting. It's not perfect yet, but we can hope that it may yet be fine tuned. For example, why, oh why didn't they fix it so you can see the histogram while adjusting EV???

Cheers,