The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX firmware 03

C

curious80

they apparently pulled the links down. the firmware is not officially announced yet, someone just hacked their way into finding the firmware links

douglasf13

Ugh, I missed it. Does anyone feel like emailing me the Mac or Windows version for the NEX-5?:angel:

edit* I found a source, so thanks!

Last edited:

barjohn

Anyone that got the Mac version for Nex 5 I would appreciate as the Windows XP version is giving me problems. Never mind, I got it.

Last edited:

LizaWitz

Ah, the nice thing about macs- you only have to reboot when sony releases a firmware updater and it can only run under a 32 bit kernel!

This tells me that Sony is using code from the 1990s in this updater, probably because they outsourced the mac version to a lowe cost contractor. But, hey, at least I don't have to get windows running to install it. So this is def. an improvement on sony's part!

Jim DE

SonyUSA has the 3.0 version update now in windows and Mac. I am running it while I am typing this.

The camera update worked fine BUT the adapter update aborted stating it was not available for my camera. I used the MAC 10.5 firmware updater but I guess you must have the adapter mounted and one of the versions of lenses that work this function mounted for it to update?????? I made no reference to that in the prepare camera for update.

I do not currently own a lens in the effected list.... I do have the adapter I use for my AF Minolta lenses. I am going to try it with the adapter and a minolta lens to see if it updates that way.

It updated with the adapter and a Minolta lens attached incase I happen to pick up a bargain on a affected lens someday. All in all, both updates did nothing for the way I use the NEX with Legacy RF lenses and Minolta AF lenses but it is now ready if I ever want to change the way I am currently shooting. Not likely but it's all up to date anyway ;)

Last edited:
M

meilicke

Jim, can you change the aperture on the minolta AF lenses with the NEX? I assumed no...?

Thanks,
Scott

Jim DE

Yes....... On aperture preferred just turn the scroll wheel to adjust aperture on the AF Minolta lens.

It does not auto focus though ... all manual focusing only.

s.agar

pictures get better, if photographer LEARNS, not if firmware is newer!
Smart reply, which does not answer the question, which is;

Are the in-camera JPG's getting better?

As we know, the JPG's produced in the camera depend completely on the suppliers preferences written in the firmware.

Seyhun

M

meilicke

Yes....... On aperture preferred just turn the scroll wheel to adjust aperture on the AF Minolta lens.

It does not auto focus though ... all manual focusing only.
Thanks Jim. I am not sure if that makes my decision between the a55 and NEX any easier or not. :confused:

But very interesting!

Scott

Jim DE

I resolved that issue and here is how I did it .... I carry both a a33 and a NEX 5.

The NEX carries 90% of my shooting requirements using legacy RF lenses and the a33 is carried with a long zoom mostly with indoor flash work also handled by the a33. This flash and long zoom work is about 10% of my overall shooting requirements.

With the lightness and small size of both of these bodies carrying two cameras is lighter than using my Minolta 7D with vertical grip alone. I am very happy with this carry setup.

If using Alpha mount "only" lenses and you need just one camera the SLT cameras would be my choice because of the wireless flash, fast auto focus, and size. When you need these attributes ... you need them ;)

As you can see from the above 90%-10% post I like using legacy lenses for their optical quality and I already owned them so it was a financial decision as well. If I wasn't retired had a huge bank roll and could afford numerous alpha mount CZ prime and zoom lenses then a SLT would carry 100% of my carry camera requirements. It is always a function of ones needs and wants. Both cameras have excellent IQ.

Hope this might of helped .....

M

meilicke

That does help, thanks Jim. I have half a dozen FD lenses. Some are quite good (50 1.4), others just OK (28 2.8). And then I think of lenses such as the fd85 1.2 and fd135 2.0. Nice lenses. So those, as well as others (contax, ltm, etc) argue for the nex.

I also have a few m42 mount takumars that would work on either camera. There seem to be some interesting m42 lenses out there. And the leica R lenses would work on both, although the cost is a bit higher.

For flash, I would be fine with either camera, as when I do flash, manual is almost always fine, and I could optically fire a slave from either camera. Focus speed seems fine with the NEX, however there are precious few AF lenses to choose from. The 16mm prime is alluring, as I like the 24mm FOV.

In my mind the SLTs would be better for fast focus across a wide range of used minolta primes and zooms. They all seem inexpensive, and I would have the CZ line if I wanted very good quality. So do I give up my FDs for now, go minolta primes plus the odd takumar or leica R?

Or maybe I wait to see how the GH2 will fare. Hopefully better low light performance combined with the very short register distance will be my holy Grail. :salute: Or is there such a thing? :shocked:

My LX3 still takes great pictures. Used G1 cameras are cheap. I think my biggest problem is that these new mirrorless cameras over so much hope, but as a system, they are thin, mostly due to lens selection. So maybe the SLT?

This is my circle of hope, doubt, indecision, despair, and hope. Sigh.

My kids and wife are healthy, and my roof does not leak. Maybe I will take those comforts and not worry so much. :thumbs:

thomasl.se

Hi There
I don't have a NEX anymore, but I think this update speaks volumes about Sony's attitude. Most companies (especially Japanese) seem to consider each product 'finished' and if they do firmware updates they're small and largely insignificant - this one is big, and implies that they've really been listening.

Hooray!

In case they're still listening, I'm happily submitting my personal specific wishes for either a firmware update or new NEX model:

2) Make good use of the black strip on the screen real estate: implement a user option to drop the which button does what text. It takes the average non-engineer 1/60 second to learn what's what. Wipe this most unnecessary clutter, let's. Please.

3) Have the histogram occupy some of the freed up space, rather than being positioned over the live view image. 3b) And, leave the histogram visible while EV adjustments are being done. Bloody 'ell.

I'm pretty happy with it, although I was hoping to be able to reassign the MF assist function to a different button, and that is not an option with the new firmware.
1). Or IMO better yet: top MF; mid menu; lower ISO. Or better still, for another NEX, a function button on the top next to the shutter, MF assignable. The other fixes would be really nice but this would rid the slight gripe that remains for me regarding its otherwise OK handling.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Agreed with you ideas. It would be nice to be able to change ISO in MF.
It would be nice to have a button that would provide AF/AEL.