The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX adapted wideangle lens question

M

mike_hk2ksk

It has been addressed on this and other forums that sub-35mm RF lenses exhibit color shift and some have edge smearing issues - specificaly Leica mount lenses with FFD of around 28 mm. I have a chance to adopt a 21 or 25 mm lens with an FFD of 35 mm. Would I be likely to have same issues as with Leica mount wides? Thanks a lot in advance.

Jim DE

Mike I have not seen one fast lens under 35 that didn't exhibit those issues when open and focused to infinity.

There was a report of a lens in the teens that did not show these issues but it's minimum aperture was 5.6 and most sub 35 lenses start losing these issues by 5.6

Jim DE

I am sorry ... I should of been more specific in my post by qualifying that I am referring to adapted RF legacy lenses. I kinda get locked into these when talking adapted lenses for NEX and forget about all the other variety of lenses.

Adapted dSLR wide angle lenses and I guess from Viveks post 4/3 work OK.

B

bruin

I tested my CV 28/2 at F2, focused to infinity, and saw no color shift or edge smearing. Sorry I haven't found the time to do corner crops and comparisons here. PM me with your email address and I can send you the raw files.

M

mike_hk2ksk

I thought the problem was related to flange focal distance. With short FFD, light reaches sensor edges at a steap angle leading to distortion. So I was hoping FFD improved by 7 mm should fix the problem.

saxshooter

I shot this about an hour ago out my car window using the NEX-5, Leica 21mm Elmarit-M (non-ASPH version) focused at infinity, wide open at f2.8, 1/4000th shutter speed. Not a big sky or white wall picture, but I see maybe a tad of color shift in the corners in this example. Example is resized.

H

hardloaf

I've settled on all manual Nikkor 20/2.8 AIS. Nikon still makes them and new costs about $579 on B&H site. The whole setup of the lens and nikon adapter is about 70mm long, but it's lightweight and comfortable to use. The lens itself is great - very sharp from 2.8, no problems with smearing, distortions, CA or hue shifts. I also really like it's flare control. It gives me 30mm equiv. FL and I'm very happy with it. I've attached couple of test shots. I don't really think that it would be possible to have a small lens around 20mm which wouldn't require heavy software corrections for distortions, hue shifts and CA on NEX.

View attachment 36410

View attachment 36409

Jerry_R

Few more options:

CV 12mm f/5.6
- focal: 18
- min. focusing distance: 19cm
- price: 1 189 EUR (Amazon.de)
- filter thread: 72
- weight: 555g

Distagon T* 24mm F/2 ZA SSM (SAL24F20Z)
- focal: 36
- min. focusing distance: 19cm
- price: 1 189 EUR (Amazon.de)
- filter thread: 72
- weight: 555g

Biogon 25mm f/2.8 "M"
- focal: 37,50
- min. focusing distance: 50cm
- price: 949 EUR (eBay EU)
- filter thread: 46
- weight: 260g

Fuji X100 camera
- focal: 35mm
- min. focusing distance: 10cm
- price: ~ 999 EUR
- filter thread: TBC
- weight: TBC

Sigma 10-20 f/3.5-5.6
- focal: 15-30mm
- min. focusing distance: 24cm
- price:
- filter thread: 82mm
- weight: 520g

Contax G Biogon 2.8/28

V

Vivek

Fuji X100 camera
- focal: 35mm
- min. focusing distance: 10cm
- price: ~ 999 EUR
- filter thread: TBC
- weight: TBC

Almost got me there! Good one!:ROTFL:

(FL is ~23mm on the proposed Fuji X100, btw)

I am waiting for them to show up as well.

It would be very interesting when Sony finally come up with a Zeiss prime for the NEX (probably about the same weight as the Fuji X100).