The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SONY NEX priorities

Jim DE

Vivek, in all honesty, if Sony offered a EVF for the NEX I personally would never buy one. I have no issues using just the LCD alone. Fact is, I prefer using it this way. Kinda like using a waist level finder on a medium format camera.

Another thing I hear some asking for is a full frame sensor which again for me would be more of a turn off than a turn on for what I want in a NEX. I don't know or care if I am in the majority or minority with how I feel but the NEX is just fine the way it is for me.

If I wanted a full frame or EVF camera there are already plenty of cameras that offer these. The NEX is unique.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Jim, I appreciate your preferences with NEX and the as supplied firmware and such.

However-

Kinda like using a waist level finder on a medium format camera.

That conjecture is way off. I am quite familiar with waist level finders (35mm to 6x6) and NEX is no match for any of those in terms of utility for me.

The NEX is unique to offer a frustrating experience of ownership.

Jim DE

Never said a match to a waist level finder as I too have experience with them on medium format cameras, I said "kinda like".

Although you obviously consider it a frustrating experience using a NEX, I personally have never shared your frustrations. I knew what it was going into buying my NEX and in accepting what it was I have no frustrations in wanting it to be or become anything other than what it is. If I wanted or expected something other than what it was I would never of bought it.

I also have a a33 that I carry for maybe 10% of my shots max that has some of the expressed wants some others have for the NEX series of cameras. I still use my NEX for the other 90% of my shots instead of the a33. Nothing wrong with what a a33 is or does, I just prefer what the NEX does for what and how I prefer to shoot afield.

kitsVA

No urgency for an EVF and other things to make the NEX useful but they have time to offer the same old stuff in shades of pink with matching colored accessories.

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/201010/10-1012/
Not sure if I will buy EVF and make NEX bulkier but I agree they should look to get more important things out like good small primes. Sonystyle don't even have stock of NEX jacket cases yet. I guess these colors bring better sales to NEX than the important ones we care about.

I do miss EVF, and built-in flash in NEX but adding those to NEX makes it bulkier. So, I just got myself A55. In the next month or two I will decide which one to keep. While manual focus is fun with NEX it does take time with my eyes and the subjects get tired to wait until I am ready. With AF, it's the other way. We are ready to shoot but wait for them to be ready for the shot :)

Terry

I think at this point I only buy based upon what is a current spec. or what is already announced, not what they could possibly add. Like Jim, even if they came out with an EVF for the camera I don't know that I would buy it.

For me, the EVF on the E-P2, E-PL1, GF1 and even my LX5 are useful in the most difficult light where the LCD is hard to see but not the most comfortable way to use those cameras. At eye level the G1/2/GH1/A33/55 form factor seems much better.

Terry

Sonystyle don't even have stock of NEX jacket cases yet. I guess these colors bring better sales to NEX than the important ones we care about.
In the Panasonic m4/3 world a lot of the accessories never made it to the US and the only way to get them was through eBay.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I understand the need for an EVF. If one is wearing glasses like me, he cannot see anything clear on the wonderful LCD without those glasses only guessing, which I must admit is most times enough :)

So I would have voted also for a good EVF (like the Olympus one) instead od color nuances for the camera body :confused:

jonoslack

Pretty in Pink!

No urgency for an EVF and other things to make the NEX useful but they have time to offer the same old stuff in shades of pink with matching colored accessories.
So I would have voted also for a good EVF (like the Olympus one) instead of color nuances for the camera body :confused:
Funny how, whenever someone brings out a fancy camera, which people don't actually want (the Lieca M9 Titan comes to mind as well), those who don't want it always seem to assume that it's INSTEAD of something they DO want

Why having a pink version would slow down the development of an EVF (whether desirable or not) I really can't imagine.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Of course they must sell it in pink. All serious camera manufacturers make pink cameras. They simply take better photos (or... photos of cute girls with pink cameras look better :p )

monza

A pink version takes no engineering, just some new injection molding. :)

I am wondering if the NEX will ever have an EVF due to the A33/A55.

jonoslack

A pink version takes no engineering, just some new injection molding. :)

I am wondering if the NEX will ever have an EVF due to the A33/A55.
Hi Robert
I'm with Terry on this one - sure there will be. I can't imagine that it'll be as good as the one on the A33 - or that the focusing will be as good either. . . and I very much doubt if they'll bring out any lenses as good as the available A mount lenses - So that it's unlikely to spoil sales of the A33/A35.

It's obviously horses for courses - Jim DE is using his NEX 90% of the time. I was so impressed with the A33 I sold the NEX! Each to his own.

Jim DE

Jono, I like them both (NEX5 and a33) and use them for their strengths as I see them. The NEX as a universal small digital light box for all my lenses with great IQ and the a33 for fast stabilized AF shots from long zooms and flash work with also great IQ. I have great respect for both of my tools. It is just the NEX's strengths for me gets needed 90% and the a33 strengths get needed 10% in my shooting requirements.

I don't buy gear often and when I do I strongly weigh my needs and wants and marry these to how a specific product fits these requirements. I research a potential product as extensively as I can then buy it because of what it currently is. I rarely get buyers remorse and am usually pleasantly surprised by how much better the product is than was expected. I am set now for another 3-5 years for camera bodies to carry and I am VERY HAPPY!

V

Vivek

Given the time it took Sony to make and start selling (at extra cost) body caps for NEX (available only in black color), an EVF needs all the time and resources they can muster.;)

B

bruin

It's simple, Vivek - Sony doesn't agree with you on what makes the NEX useful.

Clearly they are capable of making a E-mount body with EVF. But they chose not to for now... maybe we'll see it in the 2nd generation NEX. Personally I like the NEX-3/5 the way they are, liveview only.

But if you complain enough, maybe Sony will make one ;)

monza

Anyone want to wager on this?

How about: "By March 2011, Sony will/will not release an EVF for the NEX3/5 models."

I'm putting my dollar down on NOT. :)

V

Vivek

This isn't a game or something of entertainment value to me. If Sony do not come up with an EVF, I will axe the NEX.

It is not as if they have some sort of a system built around the NEX and I own all of it.

Yes, any of the future lenses (purchase) and such proposed for the NEX will have to wait along with the EVF.;)

jonoslack

This isn't a game or something of entertainment value to me. If Sony do not come up with an EVF, I will axe the NEX.
Well Vivek - Something I'm pretty sure of about the way manufacturers view web forums (and they do view them) is that they're really turned off by critical approaches, so my feeling is that the start of this thread: criticising them for the pink NEX (which will, I'm sure, sell by the truckload, and entice lots of people who would otherwise have bought a different pink camera) . . . and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

As I say - someone will have read the start of this thread, and will have read no more.

If you started a thread saying 'the NEX is wonderful, but think how much better it would be with an excellent plugin EVF' . . .. then you might attract attention.

. . . .