The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SONY NEX priorities

C

curious80

No urgency for an EVF and other things to make the NEX useful but they have time to offer the same old stuff in shades of pink with matching colored accessories.

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/201010/10-1012/
Offering the camera in pick does not take any real design effort, so I am not sure why they would wait for the EVF before offering the pink version.

And in all honesty the pink version is likely to result in a higher sales boost than the EVF :)

Jim DE

If ones sole source of income is photography based then, weighing the needs and wants of this profession, a NEX System would not be the best of choice's for a one camera based system IMO. It is just too limited at this time.

If you are making some money at photography but have other sources of income or shooting for a specific group or purpose then I view it as entertainment with a defined purpose. In that case, a NEX System could be ones best choice or it might not be depending on needs and wants.

I take my hat off to anyone who makes all their income from still photography today ... GOD bless them! Otherwise my opinion is; have fun with what ever camera one chooses to use because it is rarely ever the camera that makes a photo special to those who view them. ;) (unless the audience is comprised of other gear-heads ;) )

Just my take on photography today ..... I'm just tickled "PINK" it is just fun and entertaining for me ;)

Last edited:

Jim DE

One other consideration is that here in the USA the color "pink" is symbolic of breast cancer research and support for its victims. Our professional sports teams wear small pink items as a show of support for this as in pink shoelaces, armbands, pins.... If I had a family member or close friend that was suffering with breast cancer I might be drawn to buy a pink camera in a show of support as well. I agree with Jono, they will sell quite a few of these in pink even though the rank and file photo community may find this a ridiculous concept.

Sony knows marketing and sales and do nothing without expecting a profit.

sebboh

This isn't a game or something of entertainment value to me. If Sony do not come up with an EVF, I will axe the NEX.

It is not as if they have some sort of a system built around the NEX and I own all of it.

Yes, any of the future lenses (purchase) and such proposed for the NEX will have to wait along with the EVF.;)
i wouldn't hold out for an evf if i were you. sony (and most manufacturers really) like to cripple their consumer level products (which is what the NEX is) in order to force people to "step up" to more expensive products. while i doubt it would take sony any more engineering to make a clip on evf than it does to produce a new color (they already make all the parts necessary), i am not hopeful for it coming soon since it was not announced at photokina. if not having an evf is a deal breaker for you, i would probably sell and wait for a new model from sony or someone else that has one built in.

BackToSlr

One other consideration is that here in the USA the color "pink" is symbolic of breast cancer research and support for its victims. Our professional sports teams wear small pink items as a show of support for this as in pink shoelaces, armbands, pins.... If I had a family member or close friend that was suffering with breast cancer I might be drawn to buy a pink camera in a show of support as well. I agree with Jono, they will sell quite a few of these in pink even though the rank and file photo community may find this a ridiculous concept.

Sony knows marketing and sales and do nothing without expecting a profit.
Jim,

I am told it was released in Oct for it is breast cancer awareness month.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of public service marketing :)

N

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Pretty in Pink!

Funny how, whenever someone brings out a fancy camera, which people don't actually want (the Lieca M9 Titan comes to mind as well), those who don't want it always seem to assume that it's INSTEAD of something they DO want

Why having a pink version would slow down the development of an EVF (whether desirable or not) I really can't imagine.
Well, I actually do not really care about the NEX, as I am just using it as a daily P&S. And I really love the M9 Titanium and see it as technology carrier for future M-digital cameras. So nothing wrong with that.

But I DO HAT PINK CAMERAS !!!!

Jim DE

BTS, See I wasn't aware of that...... makes very good PR for Sony for that reason alone. They are not anybodies dummy when it comes to marketing.

jonoslack

Well, I actually do not really care about the NEX, as I am just using it as a daily P&S. And I really love the M9 Titanium and see it as technology carrier for future M-digital cameras. So nothing wrong with that.

But I DO HAT PINK CAMERAS !!!!
HI Peter
Nothing personal against the M9 Titanium, or against pink cameras come to that (especially when they're geared to coincide with breast cancer awareness). Just against the apparently commonly held idea that companies bringing out special editions stops them bringing out other things!

all the best

fotografz

I just ordered one of these ... for the wifey (aka ... ME ... so it's a Black one ;) )

The camera sounds like fun ... heck, I might even make a dollar or two off it, so I can write it off my taxes.

Betcha I can shoot some wedding stuff with it ... especially when I get the adapter so I can use the Sony 50/1.4, and they do follow through with firmware that allows AF with A mount lenses.

Time will tell.

-Marc

jonoslack

I just ordered one of these ... for the wifey (aka ... ME ... so it's a Black one ;) )

The camera sounds like fun ... heck, I might even make a dollar or two off it, so I can write it off my taxes.

Betcha I can shoot some wedding stuff with it ... especially when I get the adapter so I can use the Sony 50/1.4, and they do follow through with firmware that allows AF with A mount lenses.

Time will tell.

-Marc
Hi Marc

I wouldn't like to shoot wedding stuff with the NEX - either on manual or AF . . I just don't think it's quick and agile enough. . . . . . But the A33/55 is a completely different kettle of fish, and with the 50 f1.4 and that great high ISO and snappy AF it makes a splendid combination (wifey used it at the wedding last weekend!). . . . but alas, they don't make a pink one :ROTFL:

fotografz

Hi Marc

I wouldn't like to shoot wedding stuff with the NEX - either on manual or AF . . I just don't think it's quick and agile enough. . . . . . But the A33/55 is a completely different kettle of fish, and with the 50 f1.4 and that great high ISO and snappy AF it makes a splendid combination (wifey used it at the wedding last weekend!). . . . but alas, they don't make a pink one :ROTFL:
Ordered on of those also (A55) ... specifically for some higher ISO stuff to compliment the A900s. Pink would have been nice, but I had to settle for black :(

Marc

jonoslack

Ordered on of those also (A55) ... specifically for some higher ISO stuff to compliment the A900s. Pink would have been nice, but I had to settle for black :(

Marc
I'll be getting an A55 as well - I wanted a backup for the A900 in case of emergency (I only have one A900 body), and something for Emma to use for this wedding (dark / rainy / big) and the A55 wasn't available. the A33 was just set on P mode with AWB and Auto Iso (flash off)- I don't think there was a single shot which wasn't technically useable.
At the weekend we went off to the seaside with a couple of mad (and very fast) puppies, and I just fired away on AFC with the 75-300 G (mostly at full telephoto and without a great deal of confidence) - I find it hard to believe how many of them were good.

It's a delight to have something with a large viewfinder (albeit EVF) which is small and light, fast and agile - it really doesn't get in the way.

fotografz

I'll be getting an A55 as well - I wanted a backup for the A900 in case of emergency (I only have one A900 body), and something for Emma to use for this wedding (dark / rainy / big) and the A55 wasn't available. the A33 was just set on P mode with AWB and Auto Iso (flash off)- I don't think there was a single shot which wasn't technically useable.
At the weekend we went off to the seaside with a couple of mad (and very fast) puppies, and I just fired away on AFC with the 75-300 G (mostly at full telephoto and without a great deal of confidence) - I find it hard to believe how many of them were good.

It's a delight to have something with a large viewfinder (albeit EVF) which is small and light, fast and agile - it really doesn't get in the way.
Thanks for the input Jono. That you seem to like it bolsters my confidence in the purchase.

The NEX is really for my wife to use for snapshots ... I'll just goof around with it, and use it on vacation.

But the A55 has more of a serious intent, especially for some available light journalistic wedding work. I kinda rushed into it because I need a camera for a second shooter to use this Sat. Might as well get something different from the standard A cameras ... I actually like the idea of a tilting LCD to do those overhead "hail Mary" type shots on the dance floor ... etc. Could be useful.

-Marc

V

Vivek

i wouldn't hold out for an evf if i were you. sony (and most manufacturers really) like to cripple their consumer level products (which is what the NEX is) in order to force people to "step up" to more expensive products. while i doubt it would take sony any more engineering to make a clip on evf than it does to produce a new color (they already make all the parts necessary), i am not hopeful for it coming soon since it was not announced at photokina. if not having an evf is a deal breaker for you, i would probably sell and wait for a new model from sony or someone else that has one built in.
As I pointed out here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18852

There is no need for a 14 pin connector for the peanut flash. It is not as if they had not thought of an EVF before they came out with the NEX.

..and Jono..I could not care less if Sony or XYZ want to hear complaints/requests in certain formats to act quickly.

I am aware that all the bitching and moaning about regular A mount lenses did nothing to deter them from. :ROTFL:

douglasf13

As I pointed out here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18852

There is no need for a 14 pin connector for the peanut flash. It is not as if they had not thought of an EVF before they came out with the NEX.

..and Jono..I could not care less if Sony or XYZ want to hear complaints/requests in certain formats to act quickly.

I am aware that all the bitching and moaning about regular A mount lenses did nothing to deter them from. :ROTFL:
Possible flash connector info: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/nex-cameras-talk-thread-part7_topic68065_post774377.html#774377