The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpha Lenses With Adapter AF Performance

barjohn

Can those of you that have the Alpha lens adapter and some of the lenses that now AF with the NEX give us your findings as to AF performance, usability, and recommendations?

douglasf13

I haven't tried myself, but there are some videos floating around on YouTube and flickr. So far, it looks like those who predicted terrible performance are correct, and I think I'm glad that I didn't buy any SAM lenses. I may sell my LA-EA1 adapter.

barjohn

I thought I read some posts that said the performance was good on some lenses. Of course that may just be their opinion of "good."

BackToSlr

I thought I read some posts that said the performance was good on some lenses. Of course that may just be their opinion of "good."
Indeed :)

I tried 70-400 G, it takes about a second to get focus. Acquisition is fairly quick, but the focus confirmation is slow. No fast action with this lens on NEX, but the lens is usable now, as compared to before. What is great is that the AF (just as clumsy as contrast AF is), works on video!

Cheers,

N

fotografz

Hmmm, I wonder if it'll grab focus faster with faster aperture lenses ... just like any other AF camera? Are there any faster lenses with SAM?

Maybe ordering the AF adapter was a mistake. ??????

Just use the camera as intended.

Although I'd love to use my Leica M lenses on this pup ... the M 21/1.4 and 50/0.95 would be interesting on a tripod if it's easy to zoom in on the LCD for manual focusing ... is it?

-Marc

fotografz

They are the most expensive but with the tightest tolerances for infinity focus....
Voigtlander.
If I may ask ... who has those? Is there a specific model# or specific designation I should ask for?

Price is no object when mounting big buck M lenses on the camera.:)

-Marc

douglasf13

Marc, I only use rangefinder lenses with the NEX, and I too find focusing a breeze. I second the Voigtlander adapter recommendation. I haven't found the tolerances to be any better than the much cheaper Metabones adapter, but the super low-profile lens release tab is worth the price of admission, IMO.

fotografz

Sorry Marc for not including full details. I'm traveling and it is hard to put in some links. Steve Gandy at cameraquest carries Voigtlander adapters.

http://cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm
Thank you so much!

Cameras arrived ... A55 and NEX5 ... small ... tiny cameras.

Sony 50/1.4 looks like it was made for the A55. Have a Minolta 24-105 that will have to do for now. Surprised that the Minolta focused so fast. ISO 1600 looks pretty good. Have to read the manual a bit ... figured out most of it ... but still need to read some.

The NEX is really small, but would be perfect with some of the smaller M lenses.

-Marc

V

Vivek

I've got one of these little suckers on the way for NEX, and it is tiny. Only a bit longer than 4mm when collapsed!
Look forward to your images with that, Douglas. :)

Edit: The price is too steep for a triplet. I guess without the M mount and RF coupling, it could be cheaper by
about $400.

Last edited:
T

tigertimb

What is it in new firmware that made it more easy? I thought the original MF Assist hard key was already a breeze.
When in focus assist mode you can zoom tight in to focus and then can move the point of focus around.

With the new firmware, it will remember where you left it, so you can check composition and return back to where you were focussing quickly and maybe leave it off centre if you want to take a series of portraits for instance.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who complained that it used to forget where you were, but this is a boon for me and helps a lot when manually focussing on anything other than the central spot.