The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LINUX-based source code for Sony cameras

douglasf13

The NEX-5 actually records at 1080p 30fps, but, because of the AVHCD codec, it puts it in a 60i wrapper. Once inside your NLE, it is treated as 30p.

roweraay

The NEX-5 actually records at 1080p 30fps, but, because of the AVHCD codec, it puts it in a 60i wrapper. Once inside your NLE, it is treated as 30p.
The AVCHD spec is wide enough to accomodate 1080 30P. Don't know why Sony is placing it into a 60i wrapper. They do the same in case of the A55 too.

Sure, 1080 60P will not fit inside the 24mbps bandwidth of the AVCHD Spec but 30P should not have any problem at all.

LizaWitz

Thanks Douglas, you're right. I didn't say what I meant to say, which is I'd like the NEX-5 to be hacked to record 1920x1080p in MP4 format (instead of 1440) at around 20 or 30Mbps.

roweraay- I think the reason for the fondness of 60i wrappers is that they can use this mode for recording and use the same hardware/software for outputting to TVs. Maybe older tvs can handle 60i but not 30p? (considering most people buying the camera are likely consumers...)