The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 24/2 Back focusing ...?

fotografz

Well, I was able to give the 24/2 a work-out at this week-end's wedding. I didn't have a chance to really test the lens before hand, so I only shot less critical "fun" wedding stuff @ f/2 when I had the chance.

Big % of the subjects were OOF ... which I hadn't noticed when shooting a few right after getting it ... and frankly, I can't remember which A900 I used.

Anyway, it's back focusing, and required a micro adjust in the camera of -16 out of 20. My 85/1.4 requires only -3.

After an hour of being shuttled around the Sony system I got an Event Number so I can get it replaced.

I fear that big of an adjustment doesn't allow much further as the lens/lens mount ages. I only have 4 out of 20 clicks left.

Can't decide whether to replace it or not.

What do you think?

-Marc

douglasf13

You may want to check it at different focus distances and apertures as well, before you make the decision, since that can make things vary quite a bit. Pretty much all of my lenses needed anywhere from -5 to -18 on my A900, so I personally never worried about it, but I hadn't considered aging making it worse.

edwardkaraa

I personally would have it replaced since it is not nice to have a new item suffering from this . You can always have it re-calibrated if it gets worse, but why put up with this for a new item.

fotografz

You may want to check it at different focus distances and apertures as well, before you make the decision, since that can make things vary quite a bit. Pretty much all of my lenses needed anywhere from -5 to -18 on my A900, so I personally never worried about it, but I hadn't considered aging making it worse.
That's exactly what I did. When I first got it, I did a few shots at minimum focus distance ... and some weren't sharp hand-held, so I wrote it off as user error ... but didn't check mid-distances like I would with shooting people. That's where I noticed it when shooting the wedding. It was actually easier to see.

engel001

Marc, I remember you were going to try it on your new A55? Did you have a chance to do that, does it back focus on APS-C as well? If it doesn't, could it be a problem with the A900? I was so looking forward to your pictures. - Christopher

fotografz

Marc, I remember you were going to try it on your new A55? Did you have a chance to do that, does it back focus on APS-C as well? If it doesn't, could it be a problem with the A900? - Christopher
Good idea ... which I already did but haven't had a moment to bring the shots into the computer.

I remember having a similar issue with a D3 which required hefty micro adjusts on a few lenses ... and indeed I sent in the camera to Nikon for a calibration check ... when it came back it was better and I had to recalibrate all of the lenses again but this time the adjustments were more minor. I need to do a really tight test using both of my A900s with all the lenses.

I can get all the lenses to critical focus on this one A900 for sure ... it's just that this 24 needed quite a bit of adjustment.

All this gets pretty complicated with 2 A900s, an A55, and 7 A mount lenses.

I hate this crap :angry:

-Marc

Eoin

All this gets pretty complicated with 2 A900s, an A55, and 7 A mount lenses.

I hate this crap :angry:

-Marc
Agreed, so just send it back and get them to replace it. A week or two won't make much difference at this stage.

Only 1 of my lenses need very minor micro adjust, and it's the same amount of adjustment on both my a900s.

I always find (and I'm generalising here) if it doesn't work 100% right out of the box, the fault always returns in some way to bite you in the *** later, even years later.

fotografz

I'd like to thank all of you for your input.

Since wedding season has come to an end for now, I have opted to just return it for a replacement. :cry:

If it was just a little off it would be different ... but none of my other lenses requires this much adjustment or anything near it. Most have been fine at zero adjust ... and in fact I had the Micro Adjust turned off on one camera.

I am not put off by this since it is the first such incidence with all my Sony and Sony/Zeiss gear. :thumbs:

What I did not like was the process of replacement which took all morning and repeat discussions with 4 different departments ... and complex internet maneuvers. This is probably due to Sony's size and the predominance of amateur users of their products ... where user error is probably the root of more malfunctions than not.

There was a constant push to send it in for repair which I constantly refused to do being a brand new lens that was just delivered. :thumbdown:

Clearly, their service is not oriented toward the more experienced user and anything out of the ordinary creates confusion. Certainly not the
same as Nikon's service group ... that is for sure.

But all's well that ends well ... at least until I get the replacement.

Thanks again,

-Marc