The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Attempts to make the NEX more usable.

V

Vivek

First of all, a simple discovery- the properties of the LCD protecting plastic (Sony PCK-LH1EM) makes viewing the LCD problematic due to the sides of the plastic illuminating the LCD from stray light.

So, I took out my sharpies again and painted the sides (all sides) of it black. This makes a subtle difference on a first look but practically the impact can be felt immediately.

Images now look crispier and without the glare from (sides of) the plastic protector.

The second one is in progress. This involves finding a plate with right size so that the NEX-5 rests comfortably on the left palm of my hand while I use the fingers to focus (manual focus lenses). On the plain NEX5, this ergonomics issue wrecks havoc.

douglasf13

Interesting solution. I've not used the PCK-LH1EM, but I used the similar Sony product on my DSLRs, and I quickly realized that they were bad news for glare, clarity and viewing angle. I'd probably just get rid of it all together for a camera that only has an LCD live view. I've been using GGS glass screen protectors with good success. They're cheap (ebay,) so you might want to give a GGS a shot to see if works any better for ya.

sebboh

yeah, all of those screen protect increase glare quite a bit. i would only use them when i'm not shooting. i view them as lens caps for the camera - important for storage and travel but useless for taking pictures.

V

Vivek

Looking at the state the plastic cover is in now, I actually do not have a choice but to have it on all the time.

I just throw my camera gear into my back pack (same back pack whether it was a Nikon DSLR, Pana G1s or Sony NEX) while taking them out.

Clearly, I do not have to deal with this issue with the G1s as they can be folded back and protected while storing.

I hacked off (cut in two) a Nikon SB-14 flash unit's plate and it is now screwed onto the NEX-5 using a Novoflex miniconnect. Sort of looks like an L-plate for the NEX.

This plate's width (3.5cm as opposed to 2 cm of NEX-5) makes it very comfortable to rest it on the edge of my palm.

I will have to give the improved setup a try soon to see if it is actually going to be of any practical use.

douglasf13

Check into the GGS glass protector that I mentioned (they're cheap and all over ebay.) They're so streamlined that it looks like nothing is installed on the camera. Those plastic covers are pretty bad, IMO.

sebboh

Check into the GGS glass protector that I mentioned (they're cheap and all over ebay.) They're so streamlined that it looks like nothing is installed on the camera. Those plastic covers are pretty bad, IMO.
do they increase glare noticeably?

douglasf13

I don't think so. I certainly prefer them to the plastic clip ons. They're only around $7 on ebay, so you may want to try one out. I haven't exactly done a lot of side by side tests or anything.

sebboh

I don't think so. I certainly prefer them to the plastic clip ons. They're only around $7 on ebay, so you may want to try one out. I haven't exactly done a lot of side by side tests or anything.
thanks, just ordered one. didn't see an option for expedited shipping though, so who knows when i'll get it.

docmaas

I just today trimmed the small universal l bracket from RRS to allow the battery compartment to open. It sticks out about 3/4 of an inch allowing the usb connector to be connected without removing the bracked.

I also had an old Canon FU-100 angled mirror magnified video viewer. It snaps on one of the canon video cameras. I cut out the cap that also had the snaps and taped it to the lcd. I can now attach the magnifier when necessary and the attached frame interferes only minimally with the view of the lcd.

I like the L bracket even though it does make the camera a little more bulky. It allows for a sold grip on the left side of the camera so that the right hand only needs to operate the buttons. The L bracket comes off as usual with an allen wrench.

It would really be nice if they would provide the ability to use a corded remote and intervalometer.

I'm waiting for the sony adapter and a canon fd adapter for my canon fd 35mm tilt shift. I will mount my contax lenses with the sony adapter since they've already been converted.

Currently thinking about hot rodding the camera by removing the aa filter.

I will probably get an a55 too to try it out but I'm getting attached to the Nex-5

Mike

barjohn

I just purchased the Sony PCK-LM1AM screen protector. It is thinner and nicer than the clip on LH1EM which I also have. As a fall back, if I find I don't like it I ordered and have the Screen Patronus that I have always had excellent results using.

sebboh

vivek - i'm not sure what exactly your talking about with L-plate style fix for gripping. is the problem the fact that the NEX-5 doesn't have a flat bottom? i thought that looked awkward, my NEX-3 does have a flat bottom and is quite comfortable sitting in my left palm as i focus with the fingers of that hand (but not as good for holding with the right hand with it's smaller grip).

V

Vivek

Grip? What grip?!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Yes, it has pretty much no bottom at all.

I got rid of the strap. Here it is with the makeshift L-plate. Now, most of the left side of the NEX is supported by part of my left palm (I am right handed) and I can use the buttons on the right and the half tilt LCD while shooting.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

BTW, I just realized that Sony did not take care of the flash thing on the wheel with the update. With the peanut flash being not useful, I can't understand why in world they would assign that space for the flash.:confused:

sebboh

BTW, I just realized that Sony did not take care of the flash thing on the wheel with the update. With the peanut flash being not useful, I can't understand why in world they would assign that space for the flash.:confused:
yeah, that is the spot where the iso button should be.

douglasf13

There are tons of half-cases on eBay that range anywhere from $20 to $130 that add a little bulk to the bottom of the camera and make it flat. You may want to investigate that, Vivek. I bought one, but I keep taking it off, because I prefer tiny.

V

Vivek

There are tons of half-cases on eBay that range anywhere from $20 to $130 that add a little bulk to the bottom of the camera and make it flat. You may want to investigate that, Vivek. I bought one, but I keep taking it off, because I prefer tiny.
Appreciate your suggestion on this and the protectors, as well as, the ones from all the others.

I also like tiny. That is why I use the 16/2.8 and a host of adapted lenses and not the Sony zooms.:)

I like Mike's idea of hacking what he had. That was also the point- ie., not to spend any more cash to make this thing more usable.