The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BAD!!!! noise in mf screen image

docmaas

I was out comparing the two 35-70 lenses today and when I finished with the Leica I looked into the viewfinder in magnified view and the image was swimming with red dots, bad enough that I couldn't focus. I turned the camera off and on a couple of times to no avail.

Since the first thing that occurred to me was heat I stopped and took the camera inside and let it cool off. About 1/2 hour later I took it back out and decided to start again since I wanted a little different testbed image. Unfortunately the red dots were still having a pool party so i guess it wasn't heat after all.

I then formatted the card because I wanted to start over and the red dots disappeared. Up to now they haven't come back and I used the camera for about 85 shots after the format without further issues.

I should mention it was also somewhat rainy, very little but the camera did have raindrops on it. I sort of doubt that this was the cause but I guess it is possible.

Mike

Anyone else seen this?

sebboh

only if i'm shooting at night and have the lens stopped down to f/11, that's pretty weird sounding.

V

Vivek

Mike,

I have seen the heating but NEVER any extra noise or red blobs. I use only one adapter (RJ c-mount) that also acts as a Olympus pen F adapter after a modification. This is anodized aluminum. No possibility with the electrical contacts in the cam.

I suspect it is your adapter.

Can you post a shot of the (rear) of the adapter or give a link?

docmaas

Hi Vivek,

I was using the Sony Alpha adapter but with a chipped manual lens.

Mike

Mike,

I have seen the heating but NEVER any extra noise or red blobs. I use only one adapter (RJ c-mount) that also acts as a Olympus pen F adapter after a modification. This is anodized aluminum. No possibility with the electrical contacts in the cam.

I suspect it is your adapter.

Can you post a shot of the (rear) of the adapter or give a link?

T

tigertimb

Apologies if this is a little too obvious; but I had exactly similar problems with mine and confess that it had me stumped for a while, until I realised that I'd accidently knocked the aperture to f22 when swapping lenses on the adaptor.
The screen gains up nicely to still give a fairly bright image, so the dancing red noise dots is the only clue.
I was obviously just being an idiot, but you could also get a similar result if the blades are sticking

docmaas

Apologies if this is a little too obvious; but I had exactly similar problems with mine and confess that it had me stumped for a while, until I realised that I'd accidently knocked the aperture to f22 when swapping lenses on the adaptor.
The screen gains up nicely to still give a fairly bright image, so the dancing red noise dots is the only clue.
I was obviously just being an idiot, but you could also get a similar result if the blades are sticking
Hmmm, maybe something like that was in effect. I don't recall but it might have been. Since it was a manual lens there is no way to see that info in the viewfinder/LCD. It does make sense.

thanks,

Mike