The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens recommendations for NEX-5?

Jerry_R

I saw results of that 8-16mm Sigma on Sigma bodies - they confirmed what I saw on NEX.
I think that small LUMIX is unbeatable among all APS-C cameras. Also u43 sensor gives larger DOF on smaller apertures.

uhoh7

I saw results of that 8-16mm Sigma on Sigma bodies - they confirmed what I saw on NEX.
I think that small LUMIX is unbeatable among all APS-C cameras. Also u43 sensor gives larger DOF on smaller apertures.
just a quick sharpness test, no pp, jpg, no boost in sharpness, sorry its a bit dim.

8mm f/7.1 on tripod iso 200

crop

not too terrible

Jerry_R

8mm f/7.1 [...] not too terrible
You are at f/7.1. You should see 100% crop of 7-14mm in the same place at f/4, max f/5.6.

With E-PL1 or GF1 (or cheap G1 if you do not need video) + 7-14mm - you have:
- sharp picture without need to close down
- much smaller
- much lighter
- with AF
- with great video

Up to you :)

uhoh7

You are at f/7.1. You should see 100% crop of 7-14mm in the same place at f/4, max f/5.6.

With E-PL1 or GF1 (or cheap G1 if you do not need video) + 7-14mm - you have:
- sharp picture without need to close down
- much smaller
- much lighter
- with AF
- with great video

Up to you :)
Oh i don't doubt the 7-14 is superior-- it costs alot more and by all accounts is worth the money--and is way smaller obviously.

For a light wide angle I have the sony e-mount 16, which is not in the league of the 7-14 by any stretch, but is very light and works much better than reviews would have you believe.

For me the nex is a gateway to legacy lenses and a way to travel light with e-mounts when I need them.

1.5 crop is bad enough with older fast primes, the 4/3 2x is beyond the pale for me--plus they are all larger than the nex, and none can match it in low light.

I wanted an ultra wide and the sigma will get me there--heavy though it is.

here it is

this taken also by a nex: Vg10 w/canon nFD 20mm f/2.8, one of eight legacy primes I bought just for the nex.

here the 18200:

FL 55mm 1.2

Soligar 135mm f/2

Lecia 50mm 1.4

Tokina bokina

Kiron made 105 macro:

Elmarit 90mm

I don't think there are many cameras today so flexible.

Last edited:

Jerry_R

Any info about using MD lenses? I found there are 50mm like f/1.2, f/1.4, f/1.7.
There is one difference against rangefinder lenses - smaller min. focusing distance.

Any comments?

Jerry_R

I want the 50/1.2 as well
I wonder if it aberrates as CV 50mm 1.1 or less.
Or - how much you need to close it down - to minimize chromatic aberration.

I saw samples from NEX and CV 50 1.1 - they look great when downsized, but not so encouraging - due to big chromatic aberration and lack of sharpness - when looking at bigger versions, not even 100% level.

sebboh

I wonder if it aberrates as CV 50mm 1.1 or less.
Or - how much you need to close it down - to minimize chromatic aberration.

I saw samples from NEX and CV 50 1.1 - they look great when downsized, but not so encouraging - due to big chromatic aberration and lack of sharpness - when looking at bigger versions, not even 100% level.
i had the MD 50/1.2, but sold it last year. i loved it's color and the transition from in focus to out of focus. it's bokeh tends to have a lot of character and is probably busier than the cv 50/1.1. my MD 50/1.2 had a lot of loCA wide open but not much laCA. i suspect that the cv is sharper (at least wide open) from the samples i've seen. the cv should also have less ghosting due to it's aspherical design and will be smaller on the NEX (shorter adapter). the MD can focus much closer though (.45m if i remember correctly). i sold my MD because i determined that my canon FL 55mm f/1.2 was sharper wide open and stopped down while having less loCA. i do like the MD better than the canon though for portraits.

a couple of shots from the MD 50/1.2 (on 4/3 not the NEX since i sold it before i got the NEX):
wide open:

@f/5.6:

M

meilicke

i had the MD 50/1.2, but sold it last year. i loved it's color and the transition from in focus to out of focus. it's bokeh tends to have a lot of character and is probably busier than the cv 50/1.1. my MD 50/1.2 had a lot of loCA wide open but not much laCA. i suspect that the cv is sharper (at least wide open) from the samples i've seen. the cv should also have less ghosting due to it's aspherical design and will be smaller on the NEX (shorter adapter). the MD can focus much closer though (.45m if i remember correctly). i sold my MD because i determined that my canon FL 55mm f/1.2 was sharper wide open and stopped down while having less loCA. i do like the MD better than the canon though for portraits.

a couple of shots from the MD 50/1.2 (on 4/3 not the NEX since i sold it before i got the NEX):
wide open:

@f/5.6:
I love the wild field in the foreground with the faint city in background. Very nice.