The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are the Axx cameras as easy to mf as the nex

docmaas

I know some on here have both an A33/A55 and a nex camera. I really like the manual focus on the nex. Is it as good on the Axx cameras? I'm interested in both the evf and lcd and how they compare.

thanks,

Mike

jonoslack

I know some on here have both an A33/A55 and a nex camera. I really like the manual focus on the nex. Is it as good on the Axx cameras? I'm interested in both the evf and lcd and how they compare.

thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike
I haven't tried - I think they probably are, but it's not really the same deal, you can't mount all those nice old M mount lenses on the 33/55, and the autofocus works well and fast . . .
You can easily zoom in on both EVF and LCD though.

HansenTsang

thanks,

Mike
First let's talk about manual focusing. Qualifying statement: I don't have the Axx yet so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1) I don't consider the manual focus on the NEX that good. I have to hold the camera away from me, look at the screen and focus. Most of the time that is not good enough so I have to hit the focus assist button to zoom in. By then the image is swimming all over the place.

So finally I bought a loupe with a hood from Hoodman and that solved my manual focus problem on the NEX. Yes it is bigger but at least I can use my MF lenses.

2) I use the EVF on my Panasonic G1. That should be much closer to use in a manual focus situation as the Axx because I am looking through a viewfinder. Albeit the image is still electronic. However I loved the way the manual focus comes into view with my G1 so I assume that is going to be the case with the Axx.

3) The G1 and the NEX has a shorter lens register distance so you can fit just about any lens on top with an adapter. The Axx is a normal digital camera with a standard Sony alpha lens register. So you are limited to which manual focus lens you may fit on it.

V

Vivek

The Axx is a normal digital camera with a standard Sony alpha lens register. So you are limited to which manual focus lens you may fit on it.
Nailed it. It is just another DSLR. Only here, the mirror does not move while shooting.

monza

Except with adapted lenses, such as Leica R lenses, it should be able to nail focus more accurately than the same adapted lens on a DSLR -- since focusing is directly off the sensor.

Terry

Except with adapted lenses, such as Leica R lenses, it should be able to nail focus more accurately than the same adapted lens on a DSLR -- since focusing is directly off the sensor.
I expect it to be doubly easy with the A55 because the focus box also lights up in green for confirmation. Who makes a Leica R to alpha adapter?

docmaas

I expect it to be doubly easy with the A55 because the focus box also lights up in green for confirmation. Who makes a Leica R to alpha adapter?
There is also an ebay seller of a good product but I don't have the name at hand. I've posted it here before and on dpreview as well.

Mike

docmaas

to all. thanks for your input. My eventual goal is probably a sigma sd1, once it comes out providing it is as good as promised. Unfortunately it won't have live view in the first generation from what I understand so I may be forced to manual lenses only or maybe an "m" screen equivalent.

On another note. I continue to see the red dot pool party in the lcd when using manual focus on the nex in low light and at small apertures. It will be a limitation for some. Sony probably needs to work on getting a less noisy screen at low light levels if that is possible.

Mike