The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LA-EA1 worth it?

Rawfa

I was checking out the lenses that actually AF with the LA-EA1 and I've read that the AF times are between 2 to 7 seconds. The only lens that works with the LA-EA1 that could interest me is a Sony 50mm f1.8...but I already have a pentax 50mm f1.4 that I'm very found of. Is anyone using the Sony 50mm with the LA-EA1 out there? What is your opinion?

Rawfa

Come on, nobody is using it? How about general use? Is it worth it or is the AF too slow?

douglasf13

I wish I could help, but I sold the adapter before I had a chance to try it with the new AF firmware. From what I've seen on various forums and youtube, I think I'd prefer manual focusing. One thing I wasn't a huge fan of with the adapter is that, like a DSLR, it always keeps the aperture wide open when focusing, so you don't get realtime depth of field preview like you do with native NEX lenses and adapted manual lenses.

The tripod foot was a really cool feature with the adapter, though.

I've since sold all of my Alpha lenses and A900, and I am only using the NEX-5 with various rangefinder lenses (and a couple of m42 lenses, occasionally.)

Jim DE

Douglas, I didn't know you sold your 900 and all your alpha stuff. You went all in with the NEX huh? ;)

douglasf13

Douglas, I didn't know you sold your 900 and all your alpha stuff. You went all in with the NEX huh? ;)
Yeah, for what I'm doing these days (or should I say NOT doing :)) the 14mp is fine. I had been doing a lot of manual focus stuff with the A900 lately, anyways, so the NEX-5 is a nice fit. I would like an EVF option occasionally, but I like these little cameras, overall, and I'm having fun with small primes. Plus, if I really need the higher resolution, I've got Hasselblads wasting away in the closet that I can pull out.

My biggest regret so far is simply that I haven't had a chance to shoot as much as I would like over the past few months! :thumbdown:

G

GaryW

None of my amount lenses will af with the adaptor, so I can't comment on whether the slowness would bother me! Oh well. I'm not a big fan of mf, but I hope I can deal with it once in a while.

I agree that the 50/1.8 sounds nice, but with an old 50/1.7, I'll probably just make do with the mf.

M

meilicke

I think A control from the camera wheel is worth something, which I find faster than turning the aperture wheel on a lens.

douglasf13

I think A control from the camera wheel is worth something, which I find faster than turning the aperture wheel on a lens.
I actually prefer the manual lenses, because you can set the aperture, put the camera to your desired shutter speed in S mode, and then let Auto ISO pick the ISO. Pretty cool.

Mimaki

Woah, nice work selling your A900 kit, I agree, I actually prefer using adapted manual lenses on the NEX-5. An aperture ring is such a marvellous invention... why oh why have manufacturers removed it. :(

Autofocus on the LA-EA1 is pretty bad... I tried it with my 30mm Macro, but it was useless.

Martin S

I have used the adapter with a 35mm f 1,8, and NEX-5. It is interesting to watch the way it focuses. The lens almost seems to shutter as it focus back and forth with decreasing amplitude until it finally reaches sharp focus. It is not a fact process, and can take several seconds to finish. It works but is not speedy, or unobstrusive.

It made me appreciate the kit zoom lens AF.

I can see why Sony originally did not permit AF with this adapter.

I will still use the adapter, and 35mm lens when necessary.

Martin

douglasf13

I have used the adapter with a 35mm f 1,8, and NEX-5. It is interesting to watch the way it focuses. The lens almost seems to shutter as it focus back and forth with decreasing amplitude until it finally reaches sharp focus. It is not a fact process, and can take several seconds to finish. It works but is not speedy, or unobstrusive....
Yeah, that is the problem with using CDAF lenses on a PDAF system, unfortunately.