The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Tale of 3 Sonys

jonoslack

If anyone had told me two years ago that all my SLR gear would be Sony, I'd have given them a slap, but that's the way it goes!

After September in Crete with my M9s, October has been Sony month.
I've just put up some web pages of snapshots which (I hope) show how versatile the new SLT cameras really are (I started with an A33 and finished with an A55 - Silas has the A33) - there are some shots from the A900 interspersed, and one lowly v-lux 20 shot taken from a horse!

Pictures taken in Suffolk with an A33 / A55 / A900

comments and criticism (and yawns) all very welcome

All the best

LoSenior

Jono,

Thanks for sharing some very nice pictures, like #24,#28 and #55.
I would like to use #55 for my Desktop picture if that is alright with you.

Regards, Jerry

jonoslack

Jono,

Thanks for sharing some very nice pictures, like #24,#28 and #55.
I would like to use #55 for my Desktop picture if that is alright with you.

Regards, Jerry
Thank you Jerry - you're most welcome (an emotional moment . . . for the dog at least :)

douglasf13

Hi, Jono! I didn't realize that the doggie that we adopted a few weeks ago looks like a miniature version of yours. Thanks for the pics, and I never thought I'd see the day where you owned a few Sony DSLRs, and I own none! :wtf:

Here's our new little guy with the NEX and CV 35/1.4....wow, I've resorted to dog pictures... :LOL::deadhorse:

family portrait???

dhsimmonds

.......... and one lowly v-lux 20 shot taken from a horse[SIZE="4[URL="http://www.slack.co.uk/newsite/2010/suffolk/october/index.html"]Pictures taken in Suffolk with an A33 / A55 / A900[/URL][/SIZE]
comments and criticism (and yawns) all very welcome
Nice set of images Jono.....the V-Lux-20 IMAGE looks remarkably good! I note that you don't take her Majesty's example but you wear a crash hat instead of a headscarf! :rolleyes:

Joking apart, I have seen some excellent examples of what the V-Lux -20 can achieve in the right hands.

jonoslack

Hi, Jono! I didn't realize that the doggie that we adopted a few weeks ago looks like a miniature version of yours. Thanks for the pics, and I never thought I'd see the day where you owned a few Sony DSLRs, and I own none! :wtf:

Here's our new little guy with the NEX and CV 35/1.4....wow, I've resorted to dog pictures... :LOL::deadhorse:[/IMG]
He looks like a terrier - we used to have Norfolk terriers? Caspar looks like a terrier . . . but he doesn't behave like one.

As for resorting to dog pictures - it used to be that dog pictures were a cliche - now it's changed so that slagging them off has become the cliche:ROTFL:

Just to compound the sin!

jonoslack

Nice set of images Jono.....the V-Lux-20 IMAGE looks remarkably good! I note that you don't take her Majesty's example but you wear a crash hat instead of a headscarf! :rolleyes:

Joking apart, I have seen some excellent examples of what the V-Lux -20 can achieve in the right hands.
HI There David
With my quality of riding the hat's pretty imperative :ROTFL: Especially if I start taking my hands off to take pictures . . . . anyway, I'm no Queen:eek:

The V-lux 20 is a great little camera - in good light at least.

Leo R

If anyone had told me two years ago that all my SLR gear would be Sony, I'd have given them a slap, but that's the way it goes!

Beautiful pictures Jono. They reinforce my decision to buy the A55 and the 16-80. If I may paraphrase your opening comment- If anyone had told me I would trade my Olympus gear for Sony I would have just laughed.:ROTFL:

I am pleased ( generally ) with the 16-80 but am on the hunt for a prime that would give me the results I got from the Pany 20 1.7 on the EP-2.
I wish Sony had a 28-30 1.8 that would equal the sharpness of the 20 1.7.

Any suggestions ?
Cheers, Leo Reinhard

jonoslack

I am pleased ( generally ) with the 16-80 but am on the hunt for a prime that would give me the results I got from the Pany 20 1.7 on the EP-2.
I wish Sony had a 28-30 1.8 that would equal the sharpness of the 20 1.7.

Any suggestions ?
Cheers, Leo Reinhard
HI Leo
Glad you liked the shots. We've been playing with the cheap and cheerful 35 f1.8 SAM lens - looks plenty sharp and good to me, not as small as the panny, and of course, it's a bit longer. There's the 30 macro, but it's not so fast.

As you say, the 16-80 is not perfect, but within reasonable limits I think it's pretty good.

all the best

douglasf13

He looks like a terrier - we used to have Norfolk terriers? Caspar looks like a terrier . . . but he doesn't behave like one.

As for resorting to dog pictures - it used to be that dog pictures were a cliche - now it's changed so that slagging them off has become the cliche:ROTFL:

Just to compound the sin!
Now THAT is a great doggie pick. I really like it. :)

Alfie seems to be a Dandie Dinmont with a bit of a border terrier mix. He is very un-terrier like, so far. We actually just heard him bark for the first time yesterday, and he is extremely shy. He is only one year old, but I think his prior home was pretty abusive, but we're enjoying the little guy.

Anyways, back to camera geek talk...

jonoslack

Douglas - good luck with the dog - I hope he's as 'interesting' as ours seems to be!
Jerry - glad you liked it - No claims of high art, but I think that the craft of dog photography is one which is unfairly reviled. (there are lots of dreadful people pics too!)