The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Definitive adaptor for NEX-M lens please!

roanjoh

Just recently purchased the NEX-3 and would like to know which "brand" adaptor to get so I can mount my Leica M lenses.

Any advice and links would be appreciated :)

douglasf13

Nearly all of them focus past infinity, as far as I can tell. I own both the Metabones and the Voigtlander M adapter, and they're both built really well. I prefer the Voigtlander, because the lens release switch is low profile and doesn't get in the way of my fingers on the camera grip side, but that may not be worth the price difference for you.

roanjoh

Thanks!

How much are those Metabones?........ can't seem to find them via google. The Voigts are $179 (afaik).

Jerry_R

Do you know, why KIPON and METABONES go beyond infinity?

Today I met with a friend, and realized, that my cheap adapter KIWI FOTOS:

http://kiwifotos.com/Pro_show.asp?Proid=114

=> doesn't allow on focusing at infinity when wide opened, what I suspected.
My friend had Metabones adapter, and it allowed on focusing beyond infinity...

Is it difficult or not possible to create correct adapter? Or it is created this way in order to give margin for different lenses?

Last edited:

monza

Is it difficult or not possible to create correct adapter? Or it is created this way in order to give margin for different lenses?
It's cheaper/easier to make the adapter slightly 'thin' so all lenses focus to infinity. If the tolerances are too close it might end up being too 'thick' and not allow infinity focus at all.

Jerry_R

My observation is - adapter is too thick.

I removed adapter, set lens scale on 2 meters, I placed myself 2 meters from a subject and by moving lens closer and further to the sensor - I found sweet spot. I think it is closer to sensor, than with adapter.

Then - I repeated it with minimum distance, which is for Zeiss 2,8/25 - 50cm. And I succeeded as above.

But - and this is the most strange - I put adapter back on the body, I set lens scale on 50cm, I started to move closer and further to the subject. I found optimal sharpest distance. I measured it. It was... exactly 50cm...

It is beyong my mind now... Looks that adapter is calibrated correctly for minimum distance, but the further I am from subject - the bigger difference between real distance and scale... When I am 2 meters from subject - I need to set almost 5 meters on lens scale in order to get sharp results... And infinity is not achieveable...

PS: Tomorrow or day after - I will test one more adapter, that I found in my city.

monza

If the adapter is too thin (or too thick), the scale on the lens will not be accurate.

To find out if the camera will focus to infinity with the adapted lens, put the camera on a tripod and focus on something at least 1km away. Use the focus assist magnification and see if you can get the subject in focus on the LCD. If you can't focus on the distant subject, then the adapter is too thick.

If you can focus on the subject, and the lens turns further ("past infinity") then the adapter is slightly thin. Such an adapter will sacrifice the lens's close focus point a very small amount.

Jerry_R

OK!
So - I have tested new adapter, it is on eBay sold as black circle with a vertical white lines, with 3 screws and label 'LM-NEX'.
It works OK. Minimal focusing distance is kept. It allows on going beyond infinity.

And how much beyond? That depends on FOCAL! I first observed that myself, and the seller confirmed. It would be possible to create perfectly matching adapter - but then they would have to create separate versions for different focals.