The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metabones Contax G adapter to Sony Nex

The metabones Contax G adapter to Sony Nex is beautiful, but heavier then the Kipon, and with different issues. At first I did not mount it right on account of the issue mentioned on the youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsFeKqYVI_8&feature=related

The GetDPI M43 discussion by Jonas hits the nail on the head concerning my difficulty of locking the Contax G on the Metabones adapter with the Contax G locking ring.
http://forums.getdpi.com/...d.php?p=240264&highlight=metabones#post240264

Below is Jonas's description of how to mount a Contax G lens on a Metabones adapter and when this is complete, both on the camera. The second paragraph of step 4 is where I had difficulty. It takes a good turn of the Contax G lens locking ring in order for the little metal bar to move over the right place and from where one can then lock the Metabones adapter so that the lens does not fall off. From the camera side of the adapter you can see the small indentation in which this little metal piece needs to hang before locking the adapter, which moves it into the slot. The youtube on this issue linked above shows this view.
While I find it easier to mount a Contax G lens on the Kipon adapter (when I make no mistake) I find focusing easier on the Metabones adapter on account of the wider ring. The lens also seems to wiggle less on my Metabones adapter, but this might vary from adapter to adapter. The Metabones is a keeper.
John
Here are the instructions from Jonas linked above:
Hi,
It's not a lens problem and it is not an adapter problem (from a technical point of view). Then again, it is an adapter problem as mounting and un-mounting the lens and adapter isn't very intuitive and basically this is an user error as you didn't get it right...
English is not my strong side, nor is peadagogics but I can try.
1: Make sure your lens is unmounted correctly. You can't open the aperture blades all the way up and the aperture scale is seemingly un-aligned.
2: face the lens downwards
3: Have a look at the adapter from the camera's angle of view. There is a sliding switch which should be positioned to the right in the unlocked position.
Now look at the lens and the adapter and find the correct way to align them.
4: Here you may have to align the adapter focusing drive tip with the lid on the lens' focusing screw. Then push the lens and the adapter towards each other (the same way you mount the G lens to a G camera or any other adapter) without turning anything. Turn the knurled, or grooved, ring just in front of the adapter focusing ring only (meaning you should try not to touch any other ring or part of the lens barrel) to the right seen from the front of the lens. That is the lens "mounting ring" and a special for these G lenses.
When turning the mounting ring some power is needed. It is a tight fit and you turn the lens mounting ring until the whole thing clicks in place. The click comes from the adapter locking pin falling into place, a small lid, to the lens. You can see this happen from the adapter side.
5: Now again look at the adapter mount surface (the side mounting to the camera) and push the sliding lever to the left locking the lens to the adapter.
6: You should now be able to turn the aperture ring and see the aperture blades open and close corresponding to the marks on the lens.
7: Mount the lens/adapter to the camera. When locked to the camera the lens will now align correctly with the aperture index mark facing straight upwards. Done.
regards,
Jonas
JMiro also has helpful things to say on the Sony Nex DPreview forum:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=36913824

Metabones supplied two photos: One when the Contax G adapter is ready to lock and another after locking the adapter onto the lens. The difference is the location of the small metal tab. Some point is also made which I do not understand about the auto-locking nature of the Contax G to Nex adapter. Can anyone illuminate this point?
A pdf of their response appears here for download: http://www.zumodrive.com/share/8qOrYjQ3Ym

The Metabones adapter appears to focus very close to infinity when the focus ring is turned all the way. I need to try another lens to see if this is right, am using a legless 21mm at present. Perhaps others can confirm whether this adapter goes beyond infinity. If it goes just to infinity it will be a little easier to focus

Last edited:

douglasf13

I'm bummed about this adapter. I received it today, and despite its superior build and focusing action over my Kipon, the Metabones is much more bulky and heavy than I expected, and it takes up way to much room in the finger area of the NEX-5's grip. :thumbdown: I'm sticking with Kipon for now.

douglasf13

So, I "blinged" out my Kipon Contax G to NEX adapter with some of the leatherette that I bought for my Hasselblads: http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/VH_black.htm

I must say, this seems to do a good job of adding traction to the smooth focus ring, and I think I'll stick with Kipon over Metabones. The Metabones weight and finger clearance on the grip side of the NEX-5 are too much for me to overcome.

I also put some leatherette in a few other places on the actual camera, like on the top of the camera as seen in the photo (good place for the right thumb.)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.This is so cool!
The Kipon already looked great but now is fantastic!
What are the two filters you are using?

douglasf13

That's actually just one filter. It's a Contax UV multicoat filter. I generally leave filters off most of the time.

ZoranC

I received it today, and despite its superior build and focusing action over my Kipon, the Metabones is much more bulky and heavy than I expected, and it takes up way to much room in the finger area of the NEX-5's grip. :thumbdown: I'm sticking with Kipon for now.
Can I take it off your hands then?

douglasf13

Great idea and it made me remember I had an old unused leatherette kit for an E-P2. Bingo.

Works great.

Do you have any problems with grinding or locking on the Kipon? I have a Fotodiox and it is smooth on the 35mm but horrible on the 28mm.
The Kipon is gritty with my 35 and 90, but it never locks up or anything. I've not tried it with other Contax G lenses.

The Kipon is gritty with my 35 and 90, but it never locks up or anything. I've not tried it with other Contax G lenses.
That's disappointing - I was hoping for a solution that allowed for smooth focus. I think I'll stick with the extra size of the 28mm c/y mount lens for now - it is so slick to focus.

M

memories

Is there any other adapter out there, which has smooth focusing with G lenses?

I just bought a no-name adapter (seems to be a Kipon without the name Kipon on it) but it is not smooth while focussing. And there seems to be also a difference depending on which G lens you attach.

I do not like the metabones adapter because of its size.

scho

Is there any other adapter out there, which has smooth focusing with G lenses?

I just bought a no-name adapter (seems to be a Kipon without the name Kipon on it) but it is not smooth while focussing. And there seems to be also a difference depending on which G lens you attach.

I do not like the metabones adapter because of its size.
I'm using the Fotodiox adapter that is much lighter in weight and the focusing ring is very smooth. No rough spots or sticking with my Contax G lenses.

I'm using the Fotodiox adapter that is much lighter in weight and the focusing ring is very smooth. No rough spots or sticking with my Contax G lenses.
I must have gotten a bad copy. Will contact Fotodiox for a replacement cause mine is all kinds of sticky.

jfirneno

So I just bought a Contax G 45mm and I found this thread and was wondering if there were any new adapters out there or if anyone had some recent thoughts on the pluses and minuses of the existing adapters.

Regards,
John

ryc

i have the fotodiox G to nex and am disappointed with the quality of the build. It feels like it grinds when you focus with the ring plus its too far back for comfortable focus.

DrCrane

My Fotodiox Adapter was also very very bad quality, locked almost instantly when turning the focus ring. Also without a lens attached it did lock up.

Sent it back minutes after i received it.

Then I got the Kipon Adapter, and this one is just smooth - and foremost - it doesn't lock up or anything it just works.

A noname Adapter has arrived a couple of days ago, but this is not smooth as the Kipon, but compared to the Fotodiox it works.

Waiting now for the Metabones Adapter from Hongkong, perhaps this will be great for my G90 Lens.

Definetly keep the Kipon on the G45, Its smooth as silk.

The noname Adapter I just keep as backup.

I`ll update when the Metabones has arrived...

alphaman

Seems like you can get bad adapters regardless of the price tag. I got a cheapo one from Ebay that works just fine with my 35 and 90 lenses.

One thing I would like is one with which has an extra small wheel attached that connects with the focusing ring and enables one to focus with the right index finger in a Contax 1 rangefinder style. I don't know if you can picture what I mean, but imagine a small wheel at about the 11.00 o'clock position when viewed from the front, which is connected to the main focusing wheel by cogs. This would only work if it was well made and focused very smoothly. Just an idea ...