The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Metabones Contax G adapter to Sony Nex

jfirneno

One thing I would like is one with which has an extra small wheel attached that connects with the focusing ring and enables one to focus with the right index finger in a Contax 1 rangefinder style. I don't know if you can picture what I mean, but imagine a small wheel at about the 11.00 o'clock position when viewed from the front, which is connected to the main focusing wheel by cogs. This would only work if it was well made and focused very smoothly. Just an idea ...
Would this smaller wheel be the "same gear" or would it be higher or lower than the main focus ring? Is the position the feature or the kind of control?

Regards,
John

alphaman

The smaller wheel should rotate very easily as it would be one finger operated and would be positioned close to the shutter release so that the user could focus and shoot quickly. My idea came from the feeling of slight discomfort that the position of the regular focusing wheel normally gives (being so close to the camera body).

jfirneno

My adapter finally arrived yesterday. Took me over a half hour to figure out the attachment sequence! Put the 45mm F2 on my 5N today. The lens is amazing. The adapter makes manual focus smooth and efficient. With peaking the operation is simple and quick. With magnified live view this lens is unbelievably sharp. In some shots the focus was sharp in LR3 all the way down to pixel level. Why isn't this exact lens available from Zeiss in all mounts? It's phenomenal! I'm tempted to buy the 21mm, saw the feet off it and put it on my NEX. Only problem with the adapter is that it's so wide I'll need to use a shim attaching the NEX to my tripod head to get the focus ring to clear the head.

Regards,
John

W

wasiii

I've been following this thread and others that are similar to it and have a couple of questions. I noticed on Metabones web site that the Contax G to NEX adapter has the "not supported" box Xed out and the 21/2.8 and 28/2.8 included in the "supported" box. Has anyone used this adapter lately with those two lenses? I have a Contax G2 system with a complete set of lenses for film use and I would like to adapt them to the NEX-7. I assume the problem had to do with the protective standoffs and proximity to the sensor. I would like to use these lenses unmodified if that is possible with the Metabones or any other adapter that can maintain clearance and still position the back of the lens properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wasiii

ZoranC

I noticed on Metabones web site that the Contax G to NEX adapter has the "not supported" box Xed out and the 21/2.8 and 28/2.8 included in the "supported" box. Has anyone used this adapter lately with those two lenses? I have a Contax G2 system with a complete set of lenses for film use and I would like to adapt them to the NEX-7. I assume the problem had to do with the protective standoffs and proximity to the sensor. I would like to use these lenses unmodified if that is possible with the Metabones or any other adapter that can maintain clearance and still position the back of the lens properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
To my knowledge these lenses can't be used without modification with any adapter, otherwise shrouds would be bumping into innards of camera.

turbines

I have Contax G 28, 45 and 90mm all with separate dedicated Metabones to NEX adapters on them. I experienced some slight roughness with them initially but that disappeared after some use. I am very happy with mine. I also have Metabones to m4/3s adapters and have never experienced any problems with them. I feel like the build quality of the Metabones is probably just about as good as it gets although I have never tried any of the Kipon adapters. That's my 2 cents!

Taylor Sherman

I have to say, I used my Fotodiox the other day (as opposed to the Metabones which I'd decided I liked better a few months ago), and it worked just fine. Focus was as smooth as the other, and it's much smaller and lighter. I only used that lens for a couple of shots so I'll need to take it out more seriously to see if that still holds up, but if so I'd probably use it from now on.