The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R on A55?

fotografz

This may have been covered already ... is there an adapter to use R lenses on a Sony A55 mount? Or does the R mount have to be swapped out?

The incomparable R 50/2 is pretty small, would be an interesting lens ... perhaps easy to use with LCD manual focusing?

I've noted that the quality and character of the Leica M optics has translated nicely on the NEX5 ... so the A55 sensor seems up to it to good degree.

I also have an R135/2.8 laying around here that is 1/2 the size of the Zeiss ZA135, and remains to this day one of my favorite longer portrait lenses because of its sharpness, yet gentle and forgiving character.

-Marc

dhsimmonds

Marc
As far as I know the A55 has the standard "Alpha" mount, therefore a Leica R lens will need adapting using as Doug has already posted, something like the Leitax adaptor....glue the James Lao chip in and you also get focus confirmation (something we never got with the R8/9 and DMR!) and Steady Shot (also not on the R8/9).

I still think that the results would look better using the A900 though! ie Full frame lens with full frame camera!

fotografz

Marc
As far as I know the A55 has the standard "Alpha" mount, therefore a Leica R lens will need adapting using as Doug has already posted, something like the Leitax adaptor....glue the James Lao chip in and you also get focus confirmation (something we never got with the R8/9 and DMR!) and Steady Shot (also not on the R8/9).

I still think that the results would look better using the A900 though! ie Full frame lens with full frame camera!
Oh, of that I have no doubt. I'm just looking for smaller gems of lenses to use on the little A55. The Zeiss optics on the A900 are fine and are AF, but they're monsters on the A55.

The one A900 exception are the Macro lenses ... and a R100/2.8 and 1:1 Elpro would be a welcome addition.

Hope the A900/850 replacement has live view ... and isn't an e-viewfinder.

-Marc

dhsimmonds

Yep, I'm with you on both counts! The R100 macro is a corker. I think that both the A700 and A900 replacements will have optical viewfinders and Liveview as they will almost certainly also be HD video capable to appeal to a much wider prosumer market. I would imagine that there will also be a cheaper variant with the "transparent" mirror.....not for me either!

The A55/A580 is probably the pattern for their higher end models?

docmaas

that would be really difficult as the shims would have to be drilled to allow the shutter click bearing to still fit into the indents in the bottom of the flange.

There is another solution however, a sony Leica R adapter on ebay. I've used two of them and some now even come with the chip already mounted. Mine came from big_is.

Mike

No one here has done their own mount swap using an m42 to A mount and shims?