The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX EVF? Well, sorta...

douglasf13

Well, while we wait to see what Sony does in regards to an EVF on NEX, I decided to bite on a funky little accessory attachment that magnifies the camera's own LCD, and it is called the Clearviewer. http://www.clearviewer.com/

I received the Clearviewer today, and, to my surprise, it works a lot better than I expected. I purchased the premium lens version, and the whole LCD screen is surprisingly viewable. There is some distortion at the edges of view, but it isn't too objectionable in use, and things are clear and sharp. Since the NEX-5's LCD is relatively high resolution, this Clearviewer makes manual focusing even easier, and, in my limited use of the product so far, it seems to be a suitable alternative for when the tilt up screen isn't the best option. Plus, you can fold the Clearviewer out of the way to use the tilt screen, and there is a felt pad that protects your LCD from scratches when the Clearviewer is folded up. :thumbup:

It is gloomy here today, so I haven't been able to test in bright sunlight, but, based on reports from others, the Clearviewer does a pretty good (but not perfect) job of blocking out the sun, because the camera body and the shooter's head block most of the light. In fact, this thing makes the screen so bright that I actually turned the LCD brightness to minimum. The build of this accessory (some kind of polycarbonate?) seems to be okay, and it is very light weight. I don't really notice the extra bulk of having the Clearviewer attached. The finishing looks a little rough up close (looks hand made,) but it is fine.

While the Clearviewer isn't a perfect replacement for a super high-res EVF, I think it could be a nice stop-gap for many of us until Sony releases an EVF. I wish I would have thought of it. It is essentially just like the magnifier on my Hasselblad's waist-level finder.

Here are some quick pics from my mobile:

Last edited:

douglasf13

Yeah, I wouldn't be interested in adding the bulk of a hoodman. I think the Clearviewer is a better compromise for small cameras.

douglasf13

I haven't tried it with any lenses faster than f2, but I don't need MF assist at f2 with this thing attached. Also, since I have a bit of a brow ridge, I can actually press my eye up against the Clearviewer for a little more stability. I think it is $50 well spent.

M

meilicke

Hey Douglas, that is pretty cool. It reminds me of wire finders. :) I do like how it folds away, yet still attached, when you want to tilt the screen.

Regarding the hoodman, that seems to have some rigidity, so when you press it against your face, you can get some stability. How would this compare, do you think? It does not look very stout when you press your eye/face against it.

douglasf13

The screws in my copy are tight enough that there is a little rigidity, so I can push it against my eye to add a bit if stability, but probably not as stable as something like a hoodman. I did some quick tests with my 35mm lens, and I managed some sharp shots at around 1/13 or 1/15, but not with acceptable consistency. I feel good about 1/20 or 1/25, though.

I never considered LCD loops in the past, because, due to their size, I may as well just shoot the A900. However, this compact Clearviewer gadget is pretty cool for compact cameras, IMO.

V

Vivek

Doug, This is cool and all and thanks for showing it. I do wonder if it has done anything positive when it comes to actual snaps.

Have you got any photos to share? :)

douglasf13

Nope. I received it yesterday, so I've only used it around the house taking unwilling shots of my wife and dog, and I try not to post those too often. To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of posting much on forums in general, since I don't end up filtering my shots like I would when showing a print, so I end up posting junk. I actually regret posting those quick walk-around test photos after receiving the CV 35/1.4, but I figured people were curious about the lens character at the time...btw, I'm going to sell that lens. Lol.

V

Vivek

What I would like to see the most are any shots using (and not of) the Japanese triplet you mentioned a while back.:)

douglasf13

Funny you should mention that. The Perar finally arrived today. To be honest, from just shooting around the house and LCD chimping over the last hour, I'm not feeling it. Obviously, that isn't enough to make any real determinations, but I really can't seem to get the corners very sharp, even at f5.6-8. Granted, I wanted to try this lens as a tiny walkaround/street lens, so corner sharpness may not matter, but, even though it is uber tiny, I'm not sure that it is worth the cost to me right now, since I still can't stuff the camera into my jeans or anything. I'm considering just boxing it back up and returning it (or selling it,) before I accidentally put a scratch on it.

If I do decide to really test it, I'll try to post some shots.

V

Vivek

Here is a shot from a 25mm f/5.6 triplet (simple triplet, entire frame with no crops):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

It has a focus mount (c-mount) but is fixed apertured. It is about 1.2cm (including the mount) and weighs about 25 gms. Cost me some time (few hours) and <$20.

My major problem with it is flare and CA.

Hope this helps. ;)

skinnypix

Hi Douglas,

Now that you had your ClearViewer for a while, do you still like it? How about using it in the sun?

Thanks, Alan

douglasf13

I broke my right hand about a month ago, so I haven't had a lot of chances to use it, but my overall impression of the Clearviewer is still positive. In the sun, it works well in most, but not all, scenarios. I'd prefer an EVF, but the Clearviewer is worth the $50 IMO.