The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where are the Zeiss primes for Sony?

roweraay

But they're not AF/SSM equipped with electrically actuated apertures and electronic interfaces. I suspect designing a lens for the Sony is a joint undertaking that is rather complex from a project and product POV...
Bingo ! I think you just nailed the reason right there.

roweraay

After waiting endlessly for a new FF 35 to be released, I bit the bullet and bought a "mint" Minolta 35/2 from eBay. Looks and feels new, even though I did flinch at paying over $600 for a used 35/2.....clearly somebody had bought it, and squirreled it away without using it, for it to have retained its near showroom condition (hood, caps etc and cosmetically and mechanically in perfect condition). Either way, I am happy with the performance of this approximately 200 gms lens, on the A900, and it has become my new "walkaround" lens.

edwardkaraa

Yeah, I already looked and the 35/2 sells for over $500 and would, I'm guessing, be worth about 1/2 that the minute a Zeiss alternative is announced. Jeez, a MF Zeiss 35/2 on my 5D is making more sense all the time... :bugeyes:
An even better solution would be a ZS 35/2 on an A900. It is one of my favorite lenses.

T

Tony Beach

...the 35/2 sells for over $500 and would, I'm guessing, be worth about 1/2 that the minute a Zeiss alternative is announced.
Not necessarily. The Zeiss 24/2 sells for $1200 (USD), so if a Zeiss 35/2 cost that much then there would still be a market for the old Minolta 35/2 and at half the price of the Zeiss that would still be a bargain price considering that the Minolta version is no slouch.

kevin

I'm afraid it's not as simple as that.
I understand what you're saying about the increased complexity of making an AF version for Sony, but from my POV as a dumb consumer, it really is as simple as that: With this camera I want a 35mm Zeiss auto focus lens, and Sony doesn't offer one. I'm flexible, I'd even be happy with a Zeiss 50mm, but they don't offer that either. :D If I'm going to kludge around that gap with adapters, manual focus or old Minolta lenses that are priced according to their rarity rather than their performance, then I'll stick with my Canon. If I'm going to go to the trouble and expense of switching systems, there has to be a bit of a 'wow' factor, and Zeiss primes are the 'wow' factor for me. :salute:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I would probably go this way, but I keep looking at the photos over at FM/Alt forum taken with the startling good Contax 35mm f1.4. CZ have a 'modern' (read heavy like a tank, not much short of the 24-70 ZA zoom!) version coming in ZE/ZF next year I believe, but will it be as good as the oldie? Even so, it would need a custom mount.
I too kept looking at the Contax 35/1.4 thread at FM/Alt until I finally succumbed and bought one. It's one of the best lenses I've ever owned (and over the years I've owned hundreds of lenses). Sharp wide open, gorgeous bokeh, excellent build quality, 67mm filter thread, not too heavy (600 grams). I use it on a Canon 1Ds Mark II with a HappyPageHK adapter. If Sony were to release a successor to the A900/A850 with reasonable high ISO performance, I'd put Leitax mounts on all my Leica R and Contax C/Y lenses and switch to Sony.

Given that most of the time I shoot with the Contax 35/1.4 at f/2, stop-down metering is not really a problem, so the upcoming Zeiss ZE 35/1.4 would have to be way better before I could be persuaded to replace the Contax lens, given that the new Zeiss is huge by comparison (82mm filter thread) and weighs nearly 40% more (830 grams).

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Correction: I'm not sure where I got the idea that the new Zeiss 35/1.4 has an 82mm filter thread. It's actually 72mm, so the lens is significantly heavier but not as physically large as I'd thought. Tempting. But I wouldn't be able to use the ZE version on a Sony and the ZF holds no interest because the aperture and focusing rings turn the "wrong" way.

edwardkaraa

Correction: I'm not sure where I got the idea that the new Zeiss 35/1.4 has an 82mm filter thread. It's actually 72mm, so the lens is significantly heavier but not as physically large as I'd thought. Tempting. But I wouldn't be able to use the ZE version on a Sony and the ZF holds no interest because the aperture and focusing rings turn the "wrong" way.
I know what you mean. I have been using my ZS lenses for several months now and can't get used to the focusing ring yet.

philip_pj

Jonathon,

I have a lens with David Llado at the moment for which I am patiently waiting...a Contax VS 100-300 getting a custom mount...I am so tempted to ask him nicely if he can do a custom mount for the Contax 1/4.35mm after that, so sweet is it.

AF/MF is very personal, of course. I love MF after using medium format film lenses for a (maybe too) long time. The tactile nature of a good focus ring, the throw that is just right in rotation and resistance, the feeling that the lens can take a little more impact which is inevitable over time. Good ones feel crafted rather than assembled.

I wil do so, and will post his reply - might take a few weeks, I hate asking craftsmen for too much at a time! - and I have the VS 35-70 for my main work, so I also feel like I am moving into a GAS problem. Eek.

mhespenheide

@philip_pj,

Can I ask how you're using the 35-70 on the Sony? Via Leitax adapter? Is David willing to do those himself? I've looked at the pictures he shows of the conversion and they make me nervous... The Leica R, I could handle fine, but not what he shows for the 35-70!

Thanks,
Mark.