The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any A55 photos with Sony 35 1.8 ?

Leo R

I have watched this forum hopefully to see some pictures shot with this combo ever since Jono mentioned he had bought this lens.
I grew impatient and ordered it without seeing any results or reviews.
Has anyone got some photos taken with the A55 and 35 1.8 SAM that they care to share?

Thanks.

Terry

I've been thinking about that lens but haven't pulled the trigger. I have the 16-80 which yes is slower by a couple of stops but then have the 50 f1.4 which obviously is longer. Just haven't figured out how much I would yank off the 16-80 to use it.

Leo R

I've been thinking about that lens but haven't pulled the trigger. I have the 16-80 which yes is slower by a couple of stops but then have the 50 f1.4 which obviously is longer. Just haven't figured out how much I would yank off the 16-80 to use it.
I mulled it over for a long time. I really wanted a 28mm for a moderate 42mm FOV but the reviews by Kurt Monger favored the 35 1.8.
Since it is a prime I am hoping it is at least as sharp as my 16-80 is at 35mm.

tom in mpls

I thought I was the only person facing this problem. I just don't change my lenses (with the possible exception of a mid zoom for a long zoom) when out shooting. I do have the 35/1.8...and haven't used it yet! Fast and sharp versus slower and more versatile. I want a compact, fast, sharp zoom. :banghead:

edwardkaraa

I thought I was the only person facing this problem. I just don't change my lenses (with the possible exception of a mid zoom for a long zoom) when out shooting.
I had the same symptoms and was very unhappy with my laziness, so I had to take drastic measures: I sold the zooms :ROTFL:

picman

I had the same symptoms and was very unhappy with my laziness, so I had to take drastic measures: I sold the zooms :ROTFL:
Actually I find it quite refreshing sometimes to go out shooting with just one prime and nothing else ... but I haven't sold my zooms ... yet :D

edwardkaraa

Actually I find it quite refreshing sometimes to go out shooting with just one prime and nothing else ... but I haven't sold my zooms ... yet :D
Hehe :) Same here Bob. Sometimes I wonder if selling the zooms was a good idea as I really miss their versatility, but that's the price to pay for discipline :D

neilvan

I go out with just one prime and my camera 95% of the time. I have my eyes trained to see at that focal length now...works great for me! :thumbup:

jonoslack

I want a compact, fast, sharp zoom. :banghead:
:deadhorse: Just like the rest of the world Tom - I don't think such a thing is possible, or someone would have made one!

I like shooting with just a prime as well . . . . . but I also like shooting with a zoom. I've just come to realise that it will either have to be relatively poor quality or else big. No Escape :cry:

As for the 35mm f1.8 I can't post pictures as Silas has it - he is really pleased with it, no complaints, it doesn't even feel too cheap.

For the price it's a definite winner.

S

sebasco

I have ordered the 35 f/1.8 so will see how good it is soon.

As far as a sort of small fast zoom, I borrowed my buds Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 over the weekend and his copy, at least, was quite good. It weighs about 15 ounces, however, which is double the weight of the kit lens. Thus, it is not huge but not super light either.

Ed

jonoslack

I have ordered the 35 f/1.8 so will see how good it is soon.

As far as a sort of small fast zoom, I borrowed my buds Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 over the weekend and his copy, at least, was quite good. It weighs about 15 ounces, however, which is double the weight of the kit lens. Thus, it is not huge but not super light either.

Ed
HI Ed
but look at the corners - I took 2 of these back before I gave up (not on Sony admittedly).
On the versions I tried the corners between 17 and 20 mm at anything less than f7 were really dreadful . . . it was a year or so ago, so maybe things have changed. . . . . added to which it ain't that small!

all the best

douglasf13

I go out with just one prime and my camera 95% of the time. I have my eyes trained to see at that focal length now...works great for me! :thumbup:
Me too, although I occasionally bring a wide and tele. Still, 3 small lenses is pretty liberating, IMO. It reminds me of photography class as a teenager...and it never bothered me then! :)

jonoslack

Me too, although I occasionally bring a wide and tele. Still, 3 small lenses is pretty liberating, IMO. It reminds me of photography class as a teenager...and it never bothered me then! :)
In terms of shooting enjoyment I completely agree . . .But there's all those shots that you miss . . .. .
. . . and it's the picture that we're after isn't it?

These may not be special, but they're from the last couple of days, and are the result of having a zoom lens attached to a camera which is in your hand

Leo R

Well this may seem redundant but my 35mm arrived about 6 hours ago. The weather is has been rain for a couple of days so I could only shoot a few pics from my front porch.

ISO 100
1/80 sec
f5

here is a 100% crop

Hopefully there will be some sun tomorrow:)

Leo R

I could not wait for some warm weather so I took my A55 with the 35 1.8 to the mall yesterday. I will try to remember how to post pictures :)

philip_pj

In defence of the Tamron 17-50 zoom, I am pretty happy with it on my partner's A700. Corner performance is a much over-rated defect for most images, as in the two nice ones jono posted above ;-).

Corners are certainly sharp enough from f4, and I tend to think of it as an f4 lens with a kind of add-on f-stop when needed. What the zoom does have is curvature of field at wider focal lengths, an effect I rather enjoy for outdoors work, just as with the Contax Distagon 28/2.8.

The lens weighs in at 434 grams; by comparison CZ's ZE 35/2 is 530 grams...and very few non-normal primes for DSLRs are much less than 350 grams these days. Size is fine for balance on a mid-size DSLR.

The much-reviled photozone has a decent review:
http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/386-tamron_1750_28_sony
My guess it will stand up well to the new Sony APS-C sensor.

For some work (mine!) zooms are indispensable due to the sensor dust problem, and need for tight framing where 'feet zooming' is not an option.

Mark K

I once used 50/2.8 macro as standard lens all the time. This charming little 30/2.8macro will be a great tool to fill in the purpose, and terrific to be used with Nex5.

As for the 17-50 tamron, I never like it. Mine is for EF mount. The build quality is as bad as its optical quality. I am comparing it to 24-105L so there must be an unfair comparison.

roweraay

I used to have the 35/1.8 but since I wanted a 35mm-FOV, I returned the 35/1.8 back and purchased a Minolta 24mm f/2.8 in mint condition, in its stead. The 24/2.8 is very light (approx 200gms), great corner-to-corner quality (since it is a Full-frame lens and is a good performer even on Full-frame) and I like the versatility of the Focal-length on the A55 (I like a wider coverage than the 50mm equivalent FOV offered by the 35/1.8).

I shot video clips too with the 24/2.8 and they came out really well.

I believe KEH has quite a few examples available. I bought mine as an LN- condition with hood and lens-caps.

roweraay

I just purchased a "mint" Minolta 35/2 (full-frame lens) and hoping to get it in time for my next trip to Asia-PAC. The damn thing was pretty pricey, however ! :(

Just to balance out my lens portfolio, I plan to get rid of some of my little used ones, including a LNIB Sony 16mm fisheye and a couple of others. We'll see.