The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900/A850 firmware 2.0 is out!

jonoslack

Updated. Used an 8GB card. AF seems better even with the 100/2.8 macro.

Easier than changing sensors (as Jono will remember with the Kodak 14n - 14nx upgrade some years back...)
Hi Quentin
I certainly do remember - glad to hear you're still using yours.
Nothing wrong with the Sony Sensor.
Incidentally - have you noticed any difference with the image quality?

all the best

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Quentin
I certainly do remember - glad to hear you're still using yours.
Nothing wrong with the Sony Sensor.
Incidentally - have you noticed any difference with the image quality?

all the best
Hi Jono,

Difficult to say. Here is a macro shot from this morning. Quality seems pretty much on a par with before, which of course is stil very good

Quentin

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Installed FW 2.0 yesterday. Can't see much diff in IQ yet, haven't really tested, but as already observed, my 70-400 G autofocusses much faster.
Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I got my Minolta 200mm HS 2.8 lens today now not sure about old vs new firmware with it but it is lightning fast and I mean lightning fast. Nice lens

JusLookN

BacktoSLR, set your A900 to use the rear button for focusing. Set Local focusing mode where you can choose one of the focusing points with the rear button. Now how do you actually activate the AF if you choose any point other than the center point?

You can't.

Local mode seems designed to use the shutter release to focus. The Maxxum 7D had the right idea, when you choose the focusing point, the camera automatically focused on that point.

Its a bug I wished had been fixed. The mandatory workaround is to always use the central point for focusing if AF with the shutter is set to Off.
Maybe I'm missing something here also. :confused: But I don't think this is a bug either.:confused: Normally I choose the focus point by using the 4-way controller to pick my focus point,then press the shutter. The joystick center press is meant to be a quick spot focus should you decide to return to center spot quickly. This is mentioned on page 61 of the manual. I never owned a 7D, but this is the way it is designed to work on the A-700 & A-900.

fotografz

I got my Minolta 200mm HS 2.8 lens today now not sure about old vs new firmware with it but it is lightning fast and I mean lightning fast. Nice lens
GearGuy Guy, when you are done with that ... (I predict January 23rd, 2011 :ROTFL:) ... let me know first!

Thanks,

Marc :)

philip_pj

I knew you would like it. Another one that gives the lie that the older lenses have been overtaken by 'technology'. I was seriously surprised how much fine detail it renders, and it plays well with the in-body SS. The APO TCs are well matched to it and show very little deterioration if you also need 280mm f4 or 400mm f5.6.

Here is an interesting illustrated TC thread at dyxum:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum//tc-guide-ii-200-28-14x-17x-2x-tests_topic22154.html

I'll have to load firm v2 and see the focus speed gains.

Irenaeus

Question: I use two Minolta lenses with my a900. One is the 35/2 and the other the 85/1.4 and one of them needed a focus correction to be dialed in. If I update to Firmware 2.0, am I likely to have to do that whole focus correction process all over again? If so, I'm not sure it'll be worth the hassle, as I don't own the calibration targets, etc.

philip_pj

A couple from the 200mm HS APO. I shoot it at infinity over big valleys in the mountains and for 'stand off' subjects, on an A900.

pegelli

Question: I use two Minolta lenses with my a900. One is the 35/2 and the other the 85/1.4 and one of them needed a focus correction to be dialed in. If I update to Firmware 2.0, am I likely to have to do that whole focus correction process all over again? If so, I'm not sure it'll be worth the hassle, as I don't own the calibration targets, etc.
All my lens settings remained intact with the update, and focussed in exactly the same spot

Just to be sure I have a small spreadsheet on my computer with the AF adjust settings I use for every lens I have calibrated, so in case something goes wrong (firmware update or other) I can always restore without having to redo the calibration