The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HDR with A55, the good and the bad

tom in mpls

Here is an HDR picture taken with my A55. It really works to get the shot when a single shot wouldn't.

Good: It works, even in a scene with many people. A couple of the people here can be seen in double images but most look fine. I don't even mind the double images, as it looks cool and it would be that or nothing.

Bad: Why are there several inanimate objects on the right side of the frame that seem to have moved?

tom in mpls

Can you post the middle exposure? It does look like the camera moved between the shots.
Sorry, I can't do that. The camera only stores 2 frames; one metered normally without HDR and one that is the finished composite of the several HDR shots.

I would assume there is some camera movement, but why would the only static items that appear as double images be on the left side? Why not everything? Also for a further puzzle, this is a cropped frame. Part of the left side has been cropped off; the right side is the original frame edge. I have looked at the original frame, and it does NOT show double images on the left side.

BackToSlr

Sorry, I can't do that. The camera only stores 2 frames; one metered normally without HDR and one that is the finished composite of the several HDR shots.

I would assume there is some camera movement, but why would the only static items that appear as double images be on the left side? Why not everything? Also for a further puzzle, this is a cropped frame. Part of the left side has been cropped off; the right side is the original frame edge. I have looked at the original frame, and it does NOT show double images on the left side.
Second picture without HDR is the middle/normal exposure (no +/-) :), but anyways as to your question. I believe that the camera aligns it to one of the sides, and if you move forward the newer frame would be a bit of a "crop" if you moved back it would be "wider", sideways will be a new "crop" but the camera will align to one of the edges, and would let it distort on the other side. But I have not seen it in my NEX shots yet even with wider lenses so far...
do not know if A55 behaves a bit differently...

N

tom in mpls

Second picture without HDR is the middle/normal exposure (no +/-) :), but anyways as to your question. I believe that the camera aligns it to one of the sides, and if you move forward the newer frame would be a bit of a "crop" if you moved back it would be "wider", sideways will be a new "crop" but the camera will align to one of the edges, and would let it distort on the other side. But I have not seen it in my NEX shots yet even with wider lenses so far...
Of course I should have understood the "middle" and I appreciate your kind explanation. Thanks also for the explanation that the camera automatically aligns to one side. That would make sense then that the left edge looks fine. I shot it fulkl wide at 16mm.

Does anyone else have a similar example?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Tom:

I reviewed all my HDR shots from my a55 and I don't see anything like this. I use the feature a lot, and it can get you out of a lot of difficult situations, for instance in sky or water shots.

I agree with BackToSir - I think there is camera movement in there, and the alignment algorithm can't deal with it.

Here is a simple one, shot at 18mm. All my a55 HDR shots are hand held. I'll look at some more to see if I can see any issues

Keith

T

the scanner-guy

Hi. the problem is about the perspective. If you tilt the camera during the hdr capture, the perspective in the three images is (almost) the same and the camera needs only to align the frames. but if you move the camera entirely, you can see ghosting where the camera had to blend the images and the lines don't match. Probably if you do that in a scene where there's no too much to blend you can't notice the misalignment.
I have this camera too, and I like this mode but most of the time I prefer the DR-O instead of the HDR.