The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod collars (ZA 135)

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey All,

I'm no longer shooting weddings in a canon-only studio and am seriously thinking of selling off my canon gear and coming back to sony over this christmas break for my 35mm system.

Crazy question... but are there any aftermarket (or OEM) tripod collars for the longer zeiss primes?

I'm doing some video these days and am going to be replacing my 5dii with a Panny GH2. I was thinking how nice it would be to have, via adapter, the ability to use the za 135 on occasion for video, as well as the 85/1.4 and maybe the old 200/2.8... but I don't know of a tripod collar for the 135, and it seems mighty big to be hanging off the front of a tripod mounted GH2.

Maybe it's just me being too concerned?

douglasf13

Hmm..I'm not sure that I've seen a tripod collar option for use on the GH2. Of course, you could consider the NEX-5 or VG10 for video, rather than the GH2, and use the official alpha to nex adapter, which has a tripod collar included. Plus, then you'll get full electrical connection. Or, you could try one of the Axx cameras sans adapter.

S

Shelby Lewis

Of course, you could consider the NEX-5 or VG10 for video, rather than the GH2, and use the official alpha to nex adapter, which has a tripod collar included. Plus, then you'll get full electrical connection. Or, you could try one of the Axx cameras sans adapter.
Thanks Douglas. Nice to talk to you again.

If the video quality (plus codecs and all) and form factor were different on the nex cameras, I'd consider them. I love their image quality for stills (and the video is quite nice), but from all the tests I've seen... the gh2 is really cream of the crop as far as video. It's 24P/1080 footage is nothing short of breathtaking, and add the "tele-crop" mode and it's the perfect camera for the work I'm going to be doing (classical musical performance coverage). That CV 25/0.95 lens for less than $1K is drool city :D

So, as much as I like the nex cameras, they aren't what I'm looking for... but I would love to use alpha lenses (especially the 135/1.8 or maybe the 135 stf) on the gh2 via an adapter... but I fear they would be too heavy for the lens mount. That 135/1.8 is a serious chunk of glass. I could probably rig something up myself if I had to... but I don't want to if I can help it.

I think an a900/gh2 kit would be pretty danged cool seeing that all the alpha lenses can be re-purposed on the gh2 via a simple adapter.

S

Shelby Lewis

FYI...This is all probably going to be tripod mounted stuff... single camera with the "stage view" out in the hall, and a second detail camera with a tele lens on for closer views of individual performers.

...imagine some HD footage with the 135STF.

My guess? :thumbs::thumbs:

(I just worry about those big lenses on those small cameras)

dhsimmonds

I have seen some footage taken with the ZA135mm on the web somewhere, it was some months ago so I am sure it was done using a NEX5 though.

The results were fantastic enough for me to remember it. A google search might find it for you? Meanwhile I will search back through some of my favourite Sony web sites to see if I can find it. Not being a video type, I didn't bookmark it!

dhsimmonds

Shelby

I have looked back through some archived Sony threads and found this link to some YouTube NEX5 clips taken at a Jazz bar in Croatia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSl3jN2sk7Q

The clips were posted by a British professional photographer and camera tester who also uses video in his work. You will see that the solo Saxophonist in the clip can be clearly heard over the bar audience background. The NEX currently has by far and away the best microphone system than any other comparable offerrings from N or C according to him. The Sony audio thoroughbred experience coming through here no doubt.

It occurred to me that this would probably be of equal importance to you as image quality considering that classical music is the subject of your next gig?

I have no idea how the Pany GH2 compares in this department. If the lighting is likely to be poor, I think that I would prefer to back an APS-C sensor against 4/3 unless I was deliberately trying to introduce grain! Good luck!

S

Shelby Lewis

Good points, Dave.

Believe it or not, the panny has clean video up and through ISO 1600 and where it really shines is in it's handling of 24P/1080 material (which is what I want). It really is a do-all camera for video. Panasonic has basically addressed all the major shortcomings of the big dogs (C and N) such as aliasing, loss of sharpness when scaling to 24p (or similar), and such and basically fixed them. Check out the comparisons on eoshd.com or LuLa. It seems like it's going to be a landmark m34 camera.

As far as audio... any serious recording effort always uses external audio that is sync'd in post, so I have no concerns for internal audio (in general).

Still, these are all great points and I definitely should give the nex cameras a second look now that you guys have mentioned some of these things. I personally would love an all-sony gear bag for my 35mm stuff, so maybe I'll do a little more digging.

Still... anyone else with ideas about tripod collars for the za135 and similar?

Thanks!

Shelby

I have looked back through some archived Sony threads and found this link to some YouTube NEX5 clips taken at a Jazz bar in Croatia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSl3jN2sk7Q

The clips were posted by a British professional photographer and camera tester who also uses video in his work. You will see that the solo Saxophonist in the clip can be clearly heard over the bar audience background. The NEX currently has by far and away the best microphone system than any other comparable offerrings from N or C according to him. The Sony audio thoroughbred experience coming through here no doubt.

It occurred to me that this would probably be of equal importance to you as image quality considering that classical music is the subject of your next gig?

I have no idea how the Pany GH2 compares in this department. If the lighting is likely to be poor, I think that I would prefer to back an APS-C sensor against 4/3 unless I was deliberately trying to introduce grain! Good luck!

peterv

Hi Shelby,

Good to see you back in this forum!
Maybe you could take a look at the NEX-VG10E*HD-camcorder.
That way, you can make use of A mount lenses with the Sony A to E adapter which has the tripod collar.

Peter

Not sure what the registration distance is on the Panny, but maybe you could use the NEX A-mount adapter as the basis for your A- to Panny adapter?

S

Shelby Lewis

Not sure what the registration distance is on the Panny, but maybe you could use the NEX A-mount adapter as the basis for your A- to Panny adapter?
Oh... there's already an A-to-m43 adapter available... my only worry is the weight of the za135 on the lens mount of the gh2. It would be nice if, on a tripod, the lens could be mounted via a tripod collar and the camera not be the supporting body.

... but I can' find evidence of a tripod collar anywhere.

Are you suggesting an arrangements like lens>a-to-nex-adapter>nex-to-m43 adapter>gh2? (assuming there is a nex-to-m43 adapter)

whoa!