The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpha 55 – in depth pros and cons

dhsimmonds

This is an excellent review of not just the A55 but also the whole new SLT camera design concept. I now understand a whole lot more about what is a essentially a new type of camera design that we shall see a lot more of for sure. David Kirkpatrick certainly knows what he is talking about and a cut above most reviewers IMHO.

The EVF viewfinder is not for me however and for my money I would prefer the A580 for that reason...in fact I would prefer the A780 a whole lot more!

philip_pj

I am moving into the research phase for this little gem, and I can second the fine effort DK put in on the review. There is not much to dislike for such a 'cost-effective' camera, and plenty of terrific high end design features. What caught my eye in particular was the focus accuracy, and excellent EVF/LV implementation in such a broad market spectrum product.

dh, apparently the A55 is outselling the A580 by three to one...certainly a pivotal camera, and one can only guess at the forthcoming A77. For the money, however, 440 grams weight (500g with the small battery - a minor whinge), 16Mp sensor, GPS, lots of built-in image production assistants, SS body and slow shutter speed capability, and reportedly great image quality make this one a terrific camera with which to enter the A mount system. Not to mention full AF video. A definite winner. Note most of these capabilities are high on the 'serious photographer' wishlist...Michael Reichmann liked it also.

You may not get an A780...how about an A99 with 30Mp?