The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody using a 100-300F4 Sigma lens on a SLT

Jim DE

I am considering either the 70-300G Sony or the 100-300F4 Sigma as a replacement for my 100-300apo D Minolta lens as my carry long zoom on my a33. I am looking for far better IQ than I am currently getting (which really won't take much ;) ) in a 300mm zoom for wildlife. Problem is there is no source for a "hands on check of these lenses" on camera within several hours of my location. No one has either in stock.

I have read that some Sigma's are not properly working on the SLT's without Sigma's free alteration. My question is to see if the 100-300 f4 Sigma zoom is one of the lenses they are referring to?

I am very open to suggestions from forum members on a good IQ zoom with a max of 300mm to use as a hand carry wildlife lens afield. My feelings is over 300mm almost always (for me) means a tripod to be steady and this setup is just for a back-up to my NEX and legacy glass camera for those very rare times a unique wildlife shot may arise while shooting scenics.

Seems the IQ of the Sigma f4 receives far more raves than the IQ of the Sony 70-300G which really surprised me but I trust the views of many on this board far more than the comments I have read on other sites about these lenses. Please feel free to offer suggestions .... It has been quite awhile since I have bought any dSLR lenses so I am very much out of the info loop on these. Heck, last time I bought lense for a dSLR you could not give a Sigma or Tamron lens away (eventhough Tamron made some of the Minolta D lenses for Minolta).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions ..... if it ends up being Sony's G lense as my best choice I have to make my move before 1/1/11 to take advantage of the discounted price.

Jim DE

Guess not??

Anyway, I went for the bird in the hand for a long zoom. The 70-400G seems to have great reviews and owner feedback plus it has full frame coverage IF I ever want to go in that direction.

I am hoping the added price becomes a moot issue due to it's claimed great IQ. Now does anyone have a pack mule I can use to haul it afield and a red flag for the back of the camera while in transport? ;)

gsking

I was going to say the same thing about the 70-400mm. It gets such good reviews that I'd take it over a Sigma any day.

I had a 100-300/4 once (the old Tokina I think??) and found it unenthralling. It's too heavy and imbalanced, and had neither the speed of the 2.8 zooms or the size/flexibility of the 5.6 zooms. Sort of stuck in the middle, neither here nor there.

Jim DE

gsking, Yeah I figured it was time to bite the bullet and avoid the "I should of bought syndrome". The only negatives I have read on the 70-400G is the lens hood and cost. Everyone seems to phrase the IQ from 70-400 and at all f stops and for me that is what I want is great IQ!