The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-5 in Chicago (pics)

douglasf13

I managed to take a few quick shots in Chicago last week, even though my right hand has been broken for the last month. :(

Sony 16/2.8

self portrait:

Contax G 35/2

SMC Takumar 50/1.4

Contax G 90/2.8

Jim DE

Sucks more for a LA guy to be in Chicago this time of the year ;) The only ice he see's out there is in his beach drinks.

LoSenior

Douglas,

Great pictures,really like your perspective and range. i lived in Minnesota during my teen years and don't miss the winter and the summer seasons.

Jerry

roweraay

To tell you the truth, we actually prefer the cold weather! lol
We prefer that too - during the beginning of the season - but after enduring the "daily grind" of removing snow and generally having to be bundled around, the hunger for warmer climes will urgently re-surface ! :)

Glad to see you are doing some really good work with your NEX, Douglas. I have been travelling to Asia-PAC quite a bit now (my real work related) and have been torn about which camera to take.

The A900's images are just sublime but the overall kit (24-70ZA, 85/135ZA etc) is a lot larger/heavier, while the A55 "gets the job done" but after experiencing the excellence of the A900's images, I still feel something "missing" from the APS-C products.

I am awaiting the receipt of a Minolta 35/2 (approx 200gms) and once I get it, that (along with the A900), might be the only camera kit I might take along.....along with the A55 (+ Minolta 24/2.8) as backup and for video, in a corner of the bag.

douglasf13

Good point, roweraay! It's been a decade or so since I've actually had to live with the daily grind of snow removal. I do miss the anticipation of the new season...the weather here is a bit too nice all of the time. :LOL:

I'll be interested to hear how you feel about shooting the single 35mm prime with the A900. I did the same with 50mm lenses for a while, and it certainly makes the A900 more portable. I'm not noticing enough of a difference when printing 13x19 (my printer size) to warrant going back, but I would certainly re-buy an A850 or A900 if I need a DSLR again.

sebboh

I managed to take a few quick shots in Chicago last week, even though my right hand has been broken for the last month. :(
glad to hear you've been enjoying our fine weather. great shots, i particularly like the geese on the ice. sorry to hear about your hand.

even though i'm from a place where it almost never drops below freezing, living in chicago for the past 12 years, the cold really hasn't bothered me. what does bug me is the fact that they heat all the buildings to 80 degrees here in the winter. i have strip down to a t-shirt every time i come out of the cold and i still sweat.

Mark K

Very nice pictures. I have been thinking of having a whole set of G2 lenses....only too late to find out the price was raised sharply...:thumbdown:

douglasf13

Thanks, sebboh. My hand is starting to feel much better, so I'm almost out of the woods. Agreed about the building temps. I feel like we must have spent an hour each day constantly rearranging outerwear!

Thanks, Mark. The Contax G line is enticing, but the prices sure are going up and up. The 28, 35 and 45 are close enough together that I decided to pick just one. The 35mm is kind of known as the black sheep in the range, whereas the 45mm is darn near perfect, but I went with the 35 simply because I prefer the angle of view on aps-c, and I think many of the issues of the lens are chopped off with the crop sensor. That being said, it still could be sharper in the corners. The 90mm is outstanding. I need to use it more! Right now, I don't have anything between 16mm and 35mm, but I'm hoping the upcoming Sony/Zeiss prime fits the bill.