The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX with other Sony lenses - advice please

daveproctor

Having used an MFT outfit for a while I bought a Sony NEX 5 recently and am extremely impressed by it - almost to the point of selling my MFT equipment

The only thing stopping me is the current lack of lenses but I notice that some Sony lenses can be used with the NEX using an adapter and will AF following the last firmware upgrade.

Being new to the Sony system I am slightly confused as to which lenses will AF - is it only those badged 'SAM'. The 16-80 appeals to me but I am not sure this will AF

Thanks

douglasf13

Quite honestly, AF with DSLRs lenses on mirrorless cameras is a bit of a red herring. Any phase detect, DSLR lens is going to focus so slowly on a contrast detect, mirrorless camera that it is hardly worth the trouble. You'll generally be able to focus faster manually.

Lonnie Utah

Does anyone know if Sigma HSM lenses autofocus with the LA-EA1 adapter?
Yes. I have a 70-200 that Autofocus. It's slow, but it does it.

Quite honestly, AF with DSLRs lenses on mirrorless cameras is a bit of a red herring. Any phase detect, DSLR lens is going to focus so slowly on a contrast detect, mirrorless camera that it is hardly worth the trouble. You'll generally be able to focus faster manually.
^^^ what doug said.

The only thing stopping me is the current lack of lenses but I notice that some Sony lenses can be used with the NEX using an adapter and will AF following the last firmware upgrade.

You should also note that come April 1, Sony will be giving the e-mount specs to 3rd party lens makers. We should be getting some NEX specific lenes that will AF just fine (read fast) by the end of the year.