I'm faced with issues about my ZD back, great image quality at low ISO, but with a few operational issues. I shoot mainly fine art nudes in a studio setting. Some glamor, and if I need to go outside, I use my D300.
The ZD issues ....
1) Top real ISO is 100, 200 in a pinch with noise reduction, but then why bother
2) The camera is easy to out shoot, slow frame rate, and small buffer
3) It will lock up at least once a shoot, requiring a few minutes of mucking about to fix it.
All that said, the image quality under studio strobes ( my application ) is exceptional, and just putting up with the problems is an option. That said, I'm still looking into three alternatives:
1) Get a Sony A850 + CZ 24-70 + CZ 135 .... This nets out to about zero additional cost assuming I sell all the Mamiya stuff at a reasonable price, and buy used for the body and lenses.
2) Get a used P30+, fixes all the issues at around a 5-6K upgrade price. IQ will be better, but curve is so flat, and I shoot the sweet spot of the ZD that IQ would become a pixel peeping issue. Could print a bit bigger/crop a bit more, but again, the extra 8 mpix are not a slam dunk in advantages.
3) Get a used P45+ fixes all the issues at a 10-12K upgrade price. IQ and cropping become a slam dunk.
With that extra money not spent on a back, I could take the trip of a lifetime to West Africa (P30+), and with the money not spent on the P45+ I could bring the wife! I don't have enough cash laying around to do both.
Any thoughts from out there in forum land? There is a thread out in this forum really praising the Sony's in terms of IQ, and that is what led me down this bunny trial.
Thanks for the input.