The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX different ratios

douglasf13

Hi. I showed this to Zoran the other day, and he seemed to think it was pretty cool, so I thought that I'd show my simple solution for framing in various ratios on my NEX-5...window stickers!:ROTFL: They're cheap, easy to remove, and you can see through them enough to read info underneath them. I just cut a few small strips and throw them on the LCD whenever I need to. Until Sony follows other makers and offers more ratios in camera (please!,) this works pretty well. Of course, you're probably safer doing this on top of some kind of LCD protector (I've got a new one in the mail.)

I like square, myself:

p.s. what I often do is, before I switch to shooting "square," I'll shoot a throwaway frame with some kind of indication that I'm switching to square (hand gesture,) so, when I import into Lightroom, I can quickly recognize all of the pics that I intend to crop to square, and I crop them all at once.

p.s.s. To be honest, this is the one reason why I may stick with my Clearviewer+NEX-5, even if Sony comes out with an EVF for NEX. I wouldn't be able to do my square frame trick with an EVF...unless Sony gets it together and offers multiple image ratios in camera (outside of 16:9.)

ha! I'm waiting for that detachable plastic lcd protector so I can scribe square lines, and 16:9 lines. Should be here anyday now.

I think you can create a folder called SQUARE on the card while connected to a pc on the memory card. Then select the folder to store your images.

I do like the idea of a throwaway frame if the above method doesn't work. It's quicker and safer.

douglasf13

Yeah, I format my card in camera a lot, so I'm a little afraid to make separate folders, but good idea.

Question, why make 16:9 lines when you can actually shoot in 16:9 ratio?

I thought the nex did something funny with the 16:9 but I was wrong. But it will keep me out of the menu system changing to 16:9 and vice versa.

douglasf13

Yeah, although, if you use Lightroom, it will read the 16:9 in the exif and automatically crop it. If you want to use the true 3:2 image, you have to convert to dng, I believe.