The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A850 or ?

J

Jjcra

Okay I have been saving for a long time to reach this point were I now can buy the 850 or 900. I am wanting it for studio and product shooting.
Now I am wondering if I should wait for the A7xx or continue on the road of a 850/900. I also was thinking of just hanging on to my 700 and get some nice glass.
Any advice for those using the 850/900 on a pro level or if anyone has a gently used one wanting to part with

J

Jjcra

Thanks for responding.
Personally I do not care about or want video or live view.

Lonnie Utah

What type of shooting do you do? Do you need FF or would the FL increase of a crop sensor benefit you? As Doug said, do you need the extra megapixels? If you are doing mostly studio work and don't need 5fps, I would save my money and buy the A850, and put the cost savings toward something like the 85mm f/1.4 (if you don't already have one). If the A55 is any indication, the a850 will most likely work better with flash setups than a SLT EVF A77. The trade off will be high ISO (1600+) noise, but I can't imagine this will be an issue in a studio situation.

roweraay

Ok I just ordered the 850, I'm on cloud nine now lol
A fellow Minnesotan ! Yes, you will be a very happy camper with the 850. I bought the A900 when it was first released (Oct 2008) but if I were buying today, I would go with the A850, since my style of shooting don't ever need 5FPS and I can live with the 98% VF of the A850 vs the 100% of the A900.

J

Jjcra

Thanks roweraay

Yes Minnesota, I am not to thrilled here today though 12" of the white crap and more coming today :(

Are you near the twin cities?

roweraay

Thanks roweraay

Yes Minnesota, I am not to thrilled here today though 12" of the white crap and more coming today :(

Are you near the twin cities?
In one of the suburbs. Yes, I did not enjoy clearing my driveway today morning. Seems like there is more of it on the way today !

J

Jjcra

LOL I agree. I hope it's over now. Lets get onto those beautiful green colors Minolta loves so well
By the way I am in Farmington.