The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM on Nex

jsnack

Has anyone tried the Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM on their Nex body, obviously via the adapter. Looks to me like a nice, compact, reasonably fast telephoto option.

douglasf13

You could look up reviews of it on places like Kurt Munger's site, since it'll behave on NEX just like on any other APS-C DSLR, outside of the very slow AF on NEX.

wyip

Here is a video of various SAM lenses being used on a NEX body via adapter (this video was made before the 85mm was available in stores). I'd image AF performance of the 85mm on NEX would be along the same lines.

uhoh7

I've looked into it.

It's VERY light and small. 185g only.

Also very sharp.

But within a year I think we will see an 85 e-mount made by someone.

jsnack

Yeah, Kurt Munger gives it a good review, The video link showed me that focus seemed hard to achieve, and was very noisy. Thanks for that info.

You're right, uhoh7, someone will have and e-mount tele soon.

Braeside

It is a very nice lens on the A900, in fact remarkable for the price. Build is totally plastic, but I like it!

Sorry can't help you with it on the NEX.

uhoh7

The samyang is a great lens, super cheap, fully manual, so no need for laea-1.

Only issue is it's big and heavy.

I've seen them go for 125.00.

I just got a beautiful LTM 85mm fairly fast, not big, but heavy.

But that's another thread