The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bought a dud Sigma 100-300/4 from Adorama

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Beach

Lens was DOA as it wouldn't work on my A850. I shipped it back so quickly I didn't write down the serial number, but I believe it started with 1 (saw at a Dyxum database that lenses starting with that serial number are incompatible with Sony cameras). Adding insult to injury, Adorama sent me a ground return shipping label, but I paid for 3 day shipping to get the lens, which I think is pretty lame as I will now have to wait two weeks or more before I get a refund.

Frankly, I'm angry with Adorama about this. They sold me a dud lens that wouldn't work on my camera, a lens they marked as E+ (better than excellent) condition. There should have been a note that the lens wouldn't work on Sony cameras; did they even bother to check the lens on a Sony camera before labeling it an E+ lens? Big thumbs down for Adorama from me as this isn't the first time I've been disappointed by them (the last time I had something shipped ground for "free" from them, it took forever to arrive), I won't use them again.

As for the Sigma 100-300/4 copy I got, I was able to get a couple of shots off with it shooting it wide open with no AF. Tried 200mm and 300mm, and it was pretty bad; tried stopping it down a stop at 200mm by twisting the lens on the mount until the meter showed a stop slower shutter speed, and I still wasn't impressed. Given that, I would probably have sent the lens back anyway. I know a lot of users have praised this lens, so maybe I just got a copy that has poor optics.

Anyway, when the money finally comes back I'm going to try a Tamron 180/3.5 macro; especially since there are no Sigma 100-300/4's to be had. I'm a little on the fence though as the Minolta 200/2.8 looks awfully good, is lighter and faster than the Tamron, and plays well with teleconverters. Still, the Tamron would be the perfect choice for shooting bugs and I would like to get some shots like that with my A850. Besides that, the Tamron currently has a $50 rebate on it, and that helps make it an even bigger bargain.

Lonnie Utah

Frankly, I'm angry with Adorama about this. They sold me a dud lens that wouldn't work on my camera,
Why are you mad with Adorama? All purchases of used equipment are "buyer beware". They did take the lens back and are refunding your money. What more did you want, a cookie?

GrahamB

Tony,

There are new copies of the Sigma 100-300mm still available, Amazon has 2 remaining in stock at $1,200 as I write this. As for your Adorama experience, I don't purchase 2nd hand from them after a similar bad experience.

You may have been hasty in sending the lens back. As far as I know, Sigma will re-chip their lenses (at least current lenses) at no cost (other than shipping).

I too had strongly considered this lens, but decided the Sony 70-200G with a 1.4 TC was a better option for me. Photozone has an extremely complimentary review (mounted on a Nikon APS body) of the Sigma and I'm sure it's an outstanding lens.

Graham

T

Tony Beach

Why are you mad with Adorama? All purchases of used equipment are "buyer beware". They did take the lens back and are refunding your money. What more did you want, a cookie?
The same shipping to return the lens that I paid to have it shipped to me for starters. Also, all they had to do was stick the lens on a Sony camera and they would have seen right away that it didn't work, which indicates a very low level of quality control.

T

Tony Beach

Tony,

There are new copies of the Sigma 100-300mm still available, Amazon has 2 remaining in stock at $1,200 as I write this. As for your Adorama experience, I don't purchase 2nd hand from them after a similar bad experience.

You may have been hasty in sending the lens back. As far as I know, Sigma will re-chip their lenses (at least current lenses) at no cost (other than shipping).

I too had strongly considered this lens, but decided the Sony 70-200G with a 1.4 TC was a better option for me. Photozone has an extremely complimentary review (mounted on a Nikon APS body) of the Sigma and I'm sure it's an outstanding lens.

Graham
Thank you Graham,

I did consider those options. It's a tight time of year for me, so $500 difference in price between the new copies and the one I bought were a factor. Funny thing is that there were two copies of the lens similarly priced to the one I got being sold at Dyxum but they had both been sold by the time I contacted the buyers.

Regarding having the lens re-chipped by Sigma, that's not a certainty as Sigma doesn't necessarily re-chip discontinued lenses and I would have had to ship the lens at my cost to them and wait until it came back before I could properly test it.

H

Helen Oster

Lens was DOA as it wouldn't work on my A850. I shipped it back so quickly I didn't write down the serial number, but I believe it started with 1 (
As I explained on FM Forum - and I believe my colleague Jerryexplained on dp review where you posted the same feedback, although I haven't yet heard back from you, with help from one of my colleagues I've been able to ID your transaction.

The lens you ordered was SKU: US 417666 SIGMA/MINOLTA 100-300 F4 D APO E.

Non DG Sigma lenses need to be rechipped for the digital SLRs, therefore it could not have worked, whatever the grade. As the error was not ours, we would not normally cover the cost of return shipping.

If you need any additional advice regarding future purchases, please don't hesitate to drop me an email: [email protected]

neilvan

:SPAM:

How many forums are you going to cross-post/copy and paste this on? (I have read your post here, FM and at Dyxum so far... :LOL: )

I can understand your frustration but it is necessary to spam all of us? :deadhorse:

H

Helen Oster

How many forums are you going to cross-post/copy and paste this on? (I have read your post here, FM and at Dyxum so far... :LOL: )

I can understand your frustration but it is necessary to spam all of us? :deadhorse:
I have responded to the OP on 2 of the above - thanks for the heads up on Dyxum.

The lens the OP ordered was SKU: US 417666 SIGMA/MINOLTA 100-300 F4 D APO E.

Non DG Sigma lenses need to be rechipped for the digital SLR’s, therefore it could not have worked, whatever the grade. The description on the website did NOT state that it had been re-chipped.

We did NOT require the OP to pay for expedited shipping to return the lens that he ordered in error, that was his decision. However, we only send out pre-paid labels when the error is ours.

In this case it was not.

T

Tony Beach

Not everybody reads every forum, and I wanted to get the message out to everyone that might be interested (as I would be interested). I'll tell you what, ignore the thread and it will soon disappear, keep replying to it and call me names and in addition to you bumping it I will respond and that will keep the thread at or near the top of the page longer -- it's your call.

neilvan

No name calling from me, I just don't appreciate reading your non-problem everywhere. This will stay at the top for quite a while as this forum is kind of slow to begin with so my "bumping" won't make any difference. It's a forum, I can reply as I see fit.

Adorama did nothing wrong in my opinion, these things happen, it's called life. Contact Helen, she will help you, I am sure. (As others have told you already).

Status
Not open for further replies.