The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Waiting for 24/2 Distagon to arrive. Any bokeh shots out there?

thePiRaTE!!

Hi all. Been waiting on SonyStyle here to get in a copy of the Distagon (another story) and spent some time researching. Everything looks impressive, but I haven't seen many bokeh shots with it. As I have the 16-35 for general wide shooting, this lens would be more for artistic and lower light wide stuff. I used to use a 25/2.8 Distagon in ZK form and it's close distance was nearly macro, a lot of fun. I realize this incarnation isn't quite a close, but it's respectable enough to elicit some strong defocusing I would think. Any bokeh afficianados out there have this guy?

K.

edwardkaraa

Don't worry, the bokeh is much nicer than the 25/2.8 that I also used to have. I sold it shortly after I received the ZA. It doesn't have the swirly bokeh that the 25 used to exhibit, and the field curvature is much flatter. MFD is about the same, at 19 cm from the sensor plane there is barely any space between the lens front and the subject. This is an outstanding lens, you won't be disappointed.

thePiRaTE!!

Have you seen the samples on flickr (via flickriver)?
I have yes, thanks. To be honest, there really isn't anything in there that leaps out at me as taking advantage of the MFD and wide aperture of the lens. I did find some nice bokeh samples on some Asian sites, like 20-30 pages into a google search of the lens that piqued my curiousity, but I'm still not sold.

Don't worry, the bokeh is much nicer than the 25/2.8 that I also used to have. I sold it shortly after I received the ZA. It doesn't have the swirly bokeh that the 25 used to exhibit, and the field curvature is much flatter. MFD is about the same, at 19 cm from the sensor plane there is barely any space between the lens front and the subject. This is an outstanding lens, you won't be disappointed.
The scale of the lenses are quite different. 1:2.3 for the 25 and 1:3.4 (if I'm not mistaken) for the 24. I'm glad about the flatter field though, but the 25 wasn't bad in that regard. I also have a Sigma 24/1.8 (currently on ebay) that goes to 1:2.7, but its quite distorted at MFD. I really like a close-focus wide, this new Distagon seems to be a solid lens (QC aside), but I've yet to see if it scratches the itch for me.

Still wouldn't mind to see some new samples if anyone is up for it.

Cheers,

K.

wyip

Hopefully you got your 24/2 by now... if so, how do you like it? I just ordered one this weekend :D

Things like Kurt Munger's review make me nervous, but I decided to pull the trigger anyway.

thePiRaTE!!

Hopefully you got your 24/2 by now... if so, how do you like it? I just ordered one this weekend :D

Things like Kurt Munger's review make me nervous, but I decided to pull the trigger anyway.
Believe it or not - no. Sony Style in Canada has had mine on order for a month. It says it's available in their computer, but it's not shipping to them. It's also not available on Sony Style website in Canada or US at this point... perhaps Sony has a policy of giving their private distributors a head start before competing with them on price. I've decided to wait it out as I prefer dealing with Sony directly when possible, they are local and helpful with returns. I've only had to do it once for a 77mm c-pol filter, but they were great. That said, the managers at the local camera flagship store seem to change every year and I have to reestablish a relationship each time, but they check the computer and find I'm worth the continued discount thus far.

I'm confident in the lens itself as I've heard very good things outside the QC, and buying direct from Sony, I'll not be stuck with a dud. Perhaps you can let me know what you think of the lens once you've gotten it.

K.